Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

Hmm. So the PC controls are definitely going to be an afterthought.

How did you arrive to such conclusion? Because the testers had to play the PC build with controllers? That's probably because they're still working on the proper PC interface, and doesn't necessarily mean it'll be an "afterthought".

I'd guess they worked on the console controls first since they're trickier to implement: you've to come up with intuitive button usage and combinations to compensate for the still-backward nature of controllers. A mouse-driven interface is inherently far more intuitive, so I bet it'll be squared away pretty quickly. And Firaxis' track record is 90% PC-only games, so I very much doubt they'll botch that.

They intend to release in about four months! Anything they haven't got "playable" by this stage, I'd label an "afterthought". wink.png

I'm not saying they'll be bad, just that it's worrying. Those items at the end of the development list are the most likely to be rushed when it's crunch-time.

I'm sure I read that they've been working on the PC controls for quite some time and I assume they don't want to show anything that's not polished yet.

Every screen/video they show seems to be how that element is going to look when it's released so if anything I'm assuming they've been spending more time on the PC controls.

It's either that or, since they're really trying to get into the console market for this game, they don't want to confuse things with PC screenshots. That doesn't sound likely but it is possible since we're talking about a game that many PC gamers already know but most pure console players don't.

Oh, and Chrysalids remind me more of Starshio Troopers ;)

All I read from (and read into) the RPS interview with regards to base defends is that he didn't really want to talk about it yet and that it was a fine balance as in this one where there's one base it's potentially too harsh if you lose.

One of the more recent vids shows various base rooms in full 3D and not just the ant farm view so there must be base defense missions of some description.

As you say though, I would suspect it will be more plot-related as it was always silly in the original that the aliens forgot were you we're after you'd successfully fended them off - it's insane to think that they'd lose the coordinates or else bot think about sending twice as many ships the second time round. Me? I'd fill a battleship with Chrysalids and take the base in 5 turns personally ;)

If it is indeed a single plot-related attack then I understand why they're dodging the question.

Where is that 3D base, dammit?! Sometimes I can hardly believe how sloppy I can be going through new material...

I hope it is not just plot related, it seems like a lot of work invested into a small portion of a game. And luckily the aliens are not as practical as you or none of us would ever finish a game of X-COM, he he he!

One of the more recent vids shows various base rooms in full 3D and not just the ant farm view so there must be base defense missions of some description.

Must there? This is what we've all assumed and looked forward to; but the way Murray phrases things:

"With something like that, which is almost entirely punitive, ..."

"... But adding a component that is punitive and not only punitive but really punishes you for success feels a little counterintuitive to the idea of making a game that’s very hard but very fair."

... could mean they haven't decided yet. Or it could mean they have decided, and they're skipping it. Or it could mean that it's in there, but only as a specially scripted scenario - not as a dynamic, repeatable event. I'm leaning towards this last option myself. But if it was just going to be like it was in the original (and I can see a couple of good reasons why they wouldn't want to mirror that behaviour exactly), I reckon they'd just say so.

The more I think about the idea of base defense, the more trouble I can see it causing the devs. In the original, you're fighting a battleship worth of aliens (Commander and all), but you've got all your resources at your disposal - typically you'll be fielding way more units then usual, 'cause hey, they're all there.

... But this new game has a six man limit. :|

I'd love for base defense to involve medics, and technicians picking up weapons and joining in, plus a lift on the 6 man squad just for this one occasion.

All that aside, what incentive do the aliens have for even entering your base? They could just bombard you from orbit the more I think about it. That would spoil the game a tad though.

All that aside, what incentive do the aliens have for even entering your base? They could just bombard you from orbit the more I think about it. That would spoil the game a tad though.

No, no, remember the base is underground, and I presume there's enough earth between the surface and the facilities to make orbital bombardment ineffective.

And about base defense, I'd like to see that in the game in some form. Murray's vague answers on the subject seem to lean away from the possibility of base attacks, but given he didn't say anything conclusive, my guess is they're still debating it.

I was more thinking about if it were a real-life scenario. If they've got all these fancy weapons then they must have some sort of bunker buster weapon. In a game it would make it a little pointless smile.png

I think they're just holding off telling us in case it is a story-driven mission (or missions) when it occurs, rather than the other option from the original game of the aliens forgetting where you live after each successfully-repelled attack.

I didn't consider the bombardment thing. The base goes pretty deep though, so it likely wouldn't be able to deal with the lower layers of a well-established base... but it'd likely get the overall job done, assuming they merely wanted to destroy the base instead of, say, recover something from it.

Mind you, they COULD blow up each place of leadership around the globe... It makes a lot of sense for them to at least try it at some stage. :thinking:

Hehe, what makes the most sense is in Stargate Continuum where they just start obliterating the surface of the planet. If they've got the superior tech and all they want is resources then there you go.

That said, what they seem to want is humans. And cows. Presumably to feed the humans milk and steak during their stay aboard the UFO.

Take a look at this video again and you see some facilities from the inside somewhere afterthe 2 minute mark, but others are shown at different angles than the default ant-farm view as well:

I hope I'm wrong, but the vids (those that aren't just base close-ups) look like some kind of UFOpedia facility presentational clips, not really in-mission cuts.

You're not wrong, though it doesn't add up to anything conclusive.

I did some searching and found reference to this interview (which we've all read, albeit ages ago, then forgotten wink.png ). Jake more or less comes straight out and says "it's in" but skirts around it as Murray did, so I'm sticking with my "plot related" bet.

In the end base defense is not that important. Just replaying Afterlight I am quickly noticing that some of the minutiae really detract from the gameplay.

From what I have seen Firaxis makes sure that the "flow" of the game moves at a somewhat faster pace and concentrates on the more fun decisions that make a good game. It'll all fall into place!

Boy, I can't wait. :D

But yes, Firaxis is aiming for a faster pace without abandoning the turn-based nature of the game, which is an interesting, daring approach.

I've gotten to playing the original and bringing only 6 elite soldiers. Yesterday I did a Snakemen Terror Site with Power Suits and Plasma Rifles.

It was a great game. On the first round the LZ looked clear but 1 soldier got zombified right away and another shot and killed. With 1/3 of my team dead right off the start so I had to make a hasty retreat to a secure corner (but leaving the Skyranger to the aliens!) to protect myself from more Chryssalids, clear the buildings from aliens and then wait. It was a bit hair triggering then because of the 20 round mark where the aliens automatically know your positions - I knew I had to get as many aliens as possible before I was overwhelmed.