Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

I watched this video a few hours ago and I've thinking about it all afternoon. Must be the Chryssalid sound dying.

Several interesting bits about the video. The guy says that they showed the tutorial mission for old and new players, where XCOM is responding to alien activity in Germany.

Now think of the original UFO demo and the intro video of the original game... notice any similarities (Chryssalids, screams, terror site, etc. etc.)? ;)

RPS hands-on with X-Com:

Even if everything else were identical, which it isn’t, tactically this XCOM takes an entirely different approach, more like a tabletop game. It offers plenty of choice, plenty of opportunities for shock, surprise and horror, and, most important of all, plenty of ways to die.

And from Strategy Informer's preview:

It’s the little things that will make this game shine, and the attention to the atmosphere of the game even extends to the strategic portion of the game when you are on missions. In same vein as the original games – and in similar veins to games since such as Valkyria Chronicles et al – you've got your squad and each man has a certain movement range and number of actions they can do per turn.

::

They just keep rolling in. wink.png

How have I only just heard this awesome news?! Looks pretty promising, though a fair step time-wise away from the original. Will be watching all the interviews once I get my boys to sleep and nursery respectively but for now I'm just excited!

A thought though... Is it just me, or is Marin's XCOM branded crapshoot now doomed... It's been criticised from the start by pretty much everyone, delayed for several years, and now a true re-make has stepped in to put down the pretender once and for all... From what I can tell, this game will be better on every single level and it even releases before a game that's been in development longer. And for those saying a long development time has positive potential, may I bring your attention to Duke Nukem Forever?

So what hope does this awful looking FPS have, now that a genuine X-Com title is on the scene. I certainly can't imagine that anyone would choose an ugly FPS over this great looking RTS game if given a choice between the two. I know I certainly won't be paying for the former now, even to satisfy my curiosity! Good luck Marin, you're gonna need it!

Just found this in the strategyinformer interview, sums up my question perfectly :D

Really, who even needs the FPS remake anymore (especially considering what happened with Syndicate).

Ha thanks SV! Case is still in the same condition it was when I last posted about it I think! Currently residing upstairs gathering dust. I did however bring the Mammoth tank back downstairs this week though and am currently hoping to get going on that again ;)

Just watched the videos on the official Firaxis website and I'm loving this game so far. Honestly can't see anything I don't like yet and set in 2015 is not as distant as I'd thought so that's good too. Base looks amazing, cover system looks well implemented and holy crap I am loving the glam cam! I want a team of snipers :D

Who's got the champaign?

I'm honoured but seriously it's fine, just buy me a beer ;)

Can't believed I missed so much of this story, all the interview brainstorming gone without me! I want to ask them what took so long? Seriously, this is like waiting for a bus. None for 30 years and then 2 come along at once! Admittedly one is more of an OAP minivan with 4 flats but still, 2 buses are 2 buses!

Hands-on preview at Games On Net here.

Snippet:

(...) to illustrate just how far you can upgrade your gear in the course of a campaign, three more troopers arrived to save the day: a dude with a jetpack, a lass with the power to turn invisible, and Sid Meier himself, kitted out with a sleek, Stillsuit-like set of rubberised space armour, a ray gun, and the nifty psionic ability to make aliens detonate their grenades right on top of themselves.

::

cool.png

Reading the comments after that, I read this gem:

Capturing/interrogating aliens seems to be a big part of the game. If you put your home base in South America, you get the 'We Have Ways' bonus, which gives you the results of interrogations and autopsies instantly.

And I don't think that this means cattle prods pinch.gif

I do rather like these country/base bonuses as it seems to me at least a good way of getting you to replay in other countries, whereas after playing for ages with the US as my starting position all my recent games of the past decade have seen the base centered in Europe to cover as many countries as possible in a small area. I suspect they had this in mind when they thought of the bonuses.

Indeed.

It will likely be up tomorrow as I'm making a few adjustments to the server right now in case the sudden influx of people causes unexpected issues.

Not all of them could be answered for various reasons, but we do have some neat answers in there and some kind words from Jake about the site and some long-standing X-COM-inspired projects.

Indeed.

It will likely be up tomorrow as I'm making a few adjustments to the server right now in case the sudden influx of people causes unexpected issues.

Not all of them could be answered for various reasons, but we do have some neat answers in there and some kind words from Jake about the site and some long-standing X-COM-inspired projects.

You're making me drool.... neat!

Hmm. So the PC controls are definitely going to be an afterthought. Would've thought them to at least be functional by now. :eh: But then, it sounds like there's a fair bit of other things that need polish as well, so I guess they've got their hands full.

Chryssalids put me in mind of Hydralisks. :laugh: