The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 7th January 2012, 4:24am, said:

24 things RPS want from the new X-Com.

Some are good, some are idiotic.
Can't help thinking that whoever wrote that stopped playing the series after the first game. A lot of stuff he's requesting made it into Apocalypse, which was a heck of a lot deeper then UFO.

While Apoc is a great game, it was never as popular, and my bet has always been that this was because of its additional complexity - each new bit of technology the aliens introduced, for example, may cause you to entirely rethink your tactics in battle. It takes an age to get anywhere (even keeping in mind that just about everyone plays it in realtime, despite the option of turnbased gameplay), but you're always being introduced to new stuff... and this is keeping in mind the game development was considered unfinished.

UFO is a lot more fast paced (you can win an entire campaign on your day off if you know what you're doing), and battles really don't change all that much. Even if you didn't get handed the "best gun" very early on, just about everything on the battlefield is lucky to survive a single hit, so knowing how to play the game is far more important then having a fully unlocked tech tree.

Er, putting aside the matter of psionics.

So much as I hate to suggest it, as much as I'd love to see them consider Apoc's features and level of content the benchmark to work from, I suspect they'd be better off sticking to the simplicity of the first game.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#42 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Personally, Apoc never hooked me due to the complete shift in art style that defined UFO and TFTD. And another thing that prevented me from really appreciating the increased complexity was the atrocious alien design. And well, some armour and vehicle design as well.

On the whole, for me the art department was an utter screw-up compared to that of the prequels.
Proud veteran of the X-COM Alliance Sim
[ JG-7X3 ]

#43 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

I think Apoc combat system is the best of the series because of the choice it allows between TB and RT. Both combat systems were good on their own. TB is probably the natural choice for UFO/TFTD players when you first play it but afterwards I completely converted to RT - it is fast, challenging and fun.

What made the TB/RT system more complex and demanding than the UFO/TFTD is more related to squad and map sizes, which grew from both games to Apoc.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#44 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Anyway, very interesting news, nice way to start the year!
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#45 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

You know what would be really good for this project ?

Firaxis /2K hiring original author of X-Com as a consultant. And I only hope that they won't purse the path of DLC like in Civ 5... That would bury this game deep and rotten tomatoes/eggs will fly high.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#46 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 8th January 2012, 1:58pm, said:

You know what would be really good for this project ?

Firaxis /2K hiring original author of X-Com as a consultant.

It would be cool if they hired John Broomhall to do the music - he did the original and the music, to me, is one of the most important parts of that game.

I mean, when I first started playing it, the music made me so scared I actually played for a long time with the music off.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#47 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostPete, on 8th January 2012, 3:26pm, said:

It would be cool if they hired John Broomhall to do the music - he did the original and the music, to me, is one of the most important parts of that game.

I mean, when I first started playing it, the music made me so scared I actually played for a long time with the music off.

Actualy he made pretty awsome remakes: http://lorcan.freelanzer.com/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#48 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Well, after the previous disaster of an announcement (XCOM), this is great news in my book! Being one of the grumpy old X-Com veterans, I'll not pop the champagne yet, but Firaxis is one of the very few AAA developers out there that could possibly get this more or less right.

*goes back to hiding*

#49 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostSlaughter, on 8th January 2012, 4:59pm, said:

Being one of the grumpy old X-Com veterans

You can't be an X-COM veteran without being grumpy  :(

You need to be able to complain about when your Commander just misses a full autoshot on an alien standing right next to him, or when you hit the wrong button during intercept and send your Interceptor on a kamikaze mission against a Battleship, or when the freaking civilian pops up from nowhere in the path of your perfectly aimed shot, or when you spend all your TUs trying to kill a zombie and at the end you get the smiling Chryssie looking at you and 0 TUs, or when you get a base attack on your first month and discover that all your soldiers are psi retards.

I mean, life in X-COM is hard, miserable and usually quite short. That's why we're grumpy :)
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#50 spudgun

spudgun

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostSGCSG1, on 7th January 2012, 7:23pm, said:

So many X-com wannabees have crashed and burned over the years.

I sure hope Firaxis succeeds here.

It's heresy, but I wouldn't mind if they did the 'move in real-time until enemy is spotted' like the UFO series.  

I'll wonder how the staff at 'Xenonauts' is taking this news.
Well, I hope that Xenonauts can exist alongside this new offering. I've already pre-ordered Xenonauts and I would encourage others to do so. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of pc games I have bought over the past two or three years, so to have two turn based games based on my all time fave game coming out at the same time is no big deal, just great news. Please support Chris England and his team as well!

#51 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostSlaughter, on 8th January 2012, 5:59pm, said:

*goes back to hiding*
NNNOOOOOO!!! A news this big for ONE POST?! :)

#52 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

He'll be back. I know where he lives.

Well, on a global scale I do - I can build an X-Com base and the square that represents it on the Geoscape when zoomed out is about 30 miles wide so I've got a fair chance of sending in a team and building a base nearby :)
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#53 CapnKill

CapnKill

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostShadowBlade, on 7th January 2012, 11:51pm, said:

Personally, Apoc never hooked me due to the complete shift in art style that defined UFO and TFTD. And another thing that prevented me from really appreciating the increased complexity was the atrocious alien design. And well, some armour and vehicle design as well.

On the whole, for me the art department was an utter screw-up compared to that of the prequels.

This 1000000%!!!

What is that, an alien or a chicken with its head cut off running around?!?!

That game lost me so quick :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users