52 replies to this topic

#21 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Interesting mash of names, isn't it? IIRC the original was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in the UK and X-COM: UFO Defense in the US.

Exciting :) Though I can imagine these are not so welcome news to some people, recall we have quite some remake or spiritual successor games which are certainly going to get hurt by this. I mean, would you rather spend money on Xenonauts and UFO: Extraterrestrials 2 or would you rather get X-COM, an official remake of one of the best strategy games ever, made by a great company of proven game developers?

It is really interesting that we do not have one, but *two* XCOM games coming out this year, and one for every taste! I am looking forward to the strategy action as well as the strategy alone.
Posted Image

#22 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 5th January 2012, 10:11pm, said:

Well, as a counterpoint, there are plenty of good strategy games available for consoles.  While not bandied about as a major selling point, stuff like Disgaea, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vandal Hearts, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem etc are really rather good strategy games that offer considerable depth.

The reputation of console gamers as retarded mouth breathers is slightly undeserved, and were I to offer a counterargument it would be that the FPS, that genre which has come to be a bane to gaming and also largely associated with consoles, started and became popular on PC.

The problem lies in the perception of console gamers as idiots by publishers, rather than any actual idiocy.  Don't judge us, Sunflash.

/holds out a daisy

I wasn't trying to suggest that console gamers are idiots, but that strategy games on consoles are rarely a good thing! :X

More to the point I suppose, /real-time/ console strategy games. I still have a bad taste in  my mouth from when I tried C&C on the N64(?). A control pad and buttons are too slow for pretty much any strategy game nowadays that uses real-time elements.

Also I love Advance Wars, but are we really calling handhelds consoles? :) (Also that's completly turn-based anyway.)

#23 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

24 things RPS want from the new X-Com.

Some are good, some are idiotic.

You've got a valid point concerning control schemes, but I recall X-Com EU on the PS1 not being that bad (although nowhere near as ergo/economic as the PC version), the RT elements in particular never required great speed or delicacy, so it was fine.

Also I love Advance Wars, but are we really calling handhelds consoles?

That's how they're defined, baby.  Handheld or portable 'consoles'.

From what Firaxis have said, I'm guessing they're going for something very similar, if not the same, as the original, with a sexier, more detailed global view and sexier, more detailed TB combat.  I'd expect the globe to be a bit more UFO-style, with bases and their detection radii, aircraft patrol routes, etc shown, and combat to be along the lines of a more versatile JA2.

I can dream, anyway.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#24 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostPete, on 5th January 2012, 7:51pm, said:

Sorry for the butchery of the threads guys.

No problem Pete. I did post it in rather a hurry during my excitement at hearing the news. :)
I actualy first heard it from Notch's (the creator of Minecraft) twitter post... I think he got rather excited too. :(
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#25 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostCapnKill, on 5th January 2012, 8:02pm, said:

Posted Image

There's big news from Game Informer for all fans of the original X-COM game. Their February cover sports artwork from the new XCOM: Enemy Unknown title due out towards the end of 2012.

*yawn* while I hope something nice will come out of this, the idea of a new X-COM game has kinda turned into the truth about Roswell - every once in a while someone makes another explanation for the crash and the story keeps changing, without anything real actually coming out.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#26 7h30n

7h30n

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

If someone hasn't seen this already: http://www.gameinfor...loves-xcom.aspx

They managed to put a smile on my face and make me relive those exciting and tense moments of UFO:Enemy Unknown. I guess I should give the game one more spin!
TheOn

Faber est suae quisque fortunae.

#27 CapnKill

CapnKill

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostHobbes, on 6th January 2012, 10:21pm, said:

*yawn* while I hope something nice will come out of this, the idea of a new X-COM game has kinda turned into the truth about Roswell - every once in a while someone makes another explanation for the crash and the story keeps changing, without anything real actually coming out.

Yawn?  Interesting... did not expect that reaction from a strategycore member that's for sure.  I understand that all the remakes thus far have fallen short, but this is the first time a company with a real budget has taken a crack at it, and from the sounds of things it is in very good hands.

#28 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostCapnKill, on 6th January 2012, 3:57pm, said:

Yawn?  Interesting... did not expect that reaction from a strategycore member that's for sure.  I understand that all the remakes thus far have fallen short, but this is the first time a company with a real budget has taken a crack at it, and from the sounds of things it is in very good hands.

In his defense, that's what was said about 2K before it got turned into an FPS...

#29 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

I think you'll have to forgive some of us old timers that have become a bit jaded with the whole cycle of hope and despair repeating itself over and over. I'm optimistic about this one myself, but as always we'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, I vaguely seem to recall Firaxis had gotten their hands on the title a while back during the whole pass-the-parcel phase with the title.

edit:

View Post7h30n, on 7th January 2012, 10:39am, said:

If someone hasn't seen this already: http://www.gameinfor...loves-xcom.aspx

They managed to put a smile on my face and make me relive those exciting and tense moments of UFO:Enemy Unknown. I guess I should give the game one more spin!

Now, I like the mindset these guys have going on here. Certainly raises my hopes a lot more.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#30 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostHobbes, on 6th January 2012, 9:21pm, said:

Every once in a while? We haven't received such news since X-Com Genesis. A new strategy X-Com? this is a first for me. Open source remakes don't count, this is the first time we could be seeing at a real X-Com revival attempt :) If this goes well, we could see the continuation of the saga, or maybe remakes of TFTD and Apoc :(
Posted Image

#31 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

[RUMOUR]I hear this version has been in development for three years.[/RUMOUR]

#32 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 7th January 2012, 2:38am, said:

[RUMOUR]I hear aliens have been abducting us and poking our naked ape butts for three million years.[/RUMOUR]

#33 ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

Veteran Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

This is it.

This version promises to be true to the franchise (unlike the other "XCOM", which I'm still very skeptical about), and Firaxis is the right company for the job. Given their track record and experience with this particular genre, if they can't pull this off, nobody can.

Personally, Firaxis has never disappointed me. Civ V's debatable, given it's ongoing bugginess, DLC system and needless Steam integration, but even then I consider that an unfortunate mishap, and still stand by them. I hope they don't give in to 2K's pressure and go down the same road with XCOM:EU, though...

At any rate, again, if anyone can do it, it's the guys at Firaxis! Go, team! :)
Proud veteran of the X-COM Alliance Sim
[ JG-7X3 ]

#34 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostCapnKill, on 6th January 2012, 9:57pm, said:

Don't you see? It's all part of the aliens' plan!

First they spend years trying to convince us that the war didn't exist after all and keep pumping out all the lies about the remakes and unofficial successors - "oh yeah, we love the original X-COM" - when in fact their Ethereal masters on Mars are making them say that. Now it's their next step - they've infiltrated a major game company and will try to keep spinning stories about X-COM's comeback just to give us hope.

And what's their next step? I tell you - they are going to advance their plans and awake T'Leth and have the alien city come out of the waters 30 years sooner than we expected and we won't be prepared. That's why they keep the story that the world is going to end in 2012 - they are already starting to brainwash the human population to become slaves of their alien empire!

#35 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

Seems like Valkyria Chronicles has been something of an influence, from what I've read.  Seeing as Julian Gollop said that's how he'd have done a new X-Com, I'll take that as a good sign.

#36 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 7th January 2012, 2:38am, said:

Not so much rumour really - someone did mention something about having "insider knowledge" of two X-COM games in the works ages back (we're talking over 18 months at least) but I think we just threw it on the rumour pile at the time. It's not like we could have ever had it confirmed anyway so no fuss was made about a heads-up from an unknown source.

It's not like we have the weight of large magazine sites to throw around to get such insider knowledge anyway so sadly, whilst I would hope we'd get a good interview with Firaxis somewhere down the line, I know that we're going to be behind at least a dozen other magazine-y sites who get exclusive interviews first.

I hate the phrase "exclusive interviews". If you intrview someone, it is exclusive aside from the rare times you'd do it wiht another site as well.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#37 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostNKF, on 6th January 2012, 10:15pm, said:

http://www.strategyc...loves-xcom.aspx

Now, I like the mindset these guys have going on here. Certainly raises my hopes a lot more.

I'm with you. It's going to be great.
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#38 SGCSG1

SGCSG1

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

So many X-com wannabees have crashed and burned over the years.

I sure hope Firaxis succeeds here.

It's heresy, but I wouldn't mind if they did the 'move in real-time until enemy is spotted' like the UFO series.  

I'll wonder how the staff at 'Xenonauts' is taking this news.

#39 chiasaur11

chiasaur11

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostHobbes, on 6th January 2012, 8:09pm, said:

[RUMOUR]I hear aliens have been abducting us and poking our naked ape butts for three million years.[/RUMOUR]

What? That's totally crazy.

[Black seven to mother bird. The sheep are poking the fence. I repeat the sheep are poking the fence!]

#40 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Postchiasaur11, on 7th January 2012, 7:30pm, said:

What? That's totally crazy.

[Black seven to mother bird. The sheep are poking the fence. I repeat the sheep are poking the fence!]

I KNEW IT!  :(  :(  ARE MONITORING THIS FORUM!  ;) ;) :) :( :( :) :(  

Btw, just saw the interview today - I'm a bit less skeptic of the whole thing right now since they seem to share a lot of what we love on  the game. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users