Free video player

Space Voyager

Media Player Classic for me. Between that and VLC (which I don't use but know to be incredibly popular), nothing else even falls onto my radar.

I'm not aware of any downloads for "just" MPC, there probably are some out there but I've always got it as part of a codec pack (as it doesn't do much without the things). This one specifically.

I don't suppose any of these can play or have codecs for the old Real Audio file formats? I was turfing out some old accumulated junk from my hard drive and found a few old music files that I'd like to play again - or preferably convert into a more current format.

- NKF

Been playing with VLC now (watching Deadwood) and there are two things that bother me.

First, it seems to have hickup every now and then. That never happens with BS player. After I noticed it it started bothering me a lot...

Second, it can not play AVI files that I film with XFire. It plays audio but not video. To make it weirder, years old BS player plays it just fine so I definitely have the codecs.

If BSPlayer was not dropping all the time I wouldn't even try to replace it.

I'll try that PotPlayer as well.

• 4 weeks later...

VLC is good only because he dosen't need codecs to run a movie - though I believe he eats CPU the most of all - but I may be mistaken it's been years since the last time I used it.

Media Player Classic is I think the best their is. Allready in K-Lite codec pack which are the most popular I think.

About Windows Media Player - it would be good if it had similar options as MPC.

@NKF maybe you should try converting RA files to something else? I think there are free converters either online or for download.

VLC does play some of the Real Audio files I have, but not all of them. A converter may be the solution, but it's only for 2 ~ 3 short music clips.

Coincidentally, VLC doesn't like playing one old .au that I've got in my accumulated wave audio junk. Odd. No loss, it was just an "Elmer Fudd Sings Christmas Carols" clip.

Ended up getting VLC just after my copy of Media Player (most up-to-date cutting edge copy) suddenly decided that it did not like to play the audio for DVDs but plays everything else fine. I suspect a munted codec, but Microsoft's website is very unhelpful and doesn't provide any solutions to fix the codecs. At least, not ones that don't involve buying software I do not need or already have. Overall VLC seems okay, but does have a somewhat clunky interface until you get used to it.

- NKF

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Being able to adjust audio track timing in VCL is actually a very good feature that I wish was on normal run-of-the-mill DVD players. Some of my DVDs have the audio track play a second earlier or later after certain chapter changes. It's almost like in the bad old days of watching badly dubbed kung fu films where the lips of the actors would start moving before you hear the dialogue. grin.gif

- NKF