Curse you, Full Auto.

Sunflash

Cover does no good when they're pistols can hit at twice the range mine do...

Also, who's bright idea was it to make it were getting hit reduces your APs to 10 for the REMAINDER OF THE BLOODY BATTLE?

Because they should be shot themselves. Ugh.

There's various ways you can cheese your way through the start of the game.

The cheaty way, if you don't mind giving up your bragging rights and a lot of your time, is to spend many game months beefing up your unpaid mercs before you head off to capture Drassen. Do the trainer/trainee thing, but don't assign a trainer - they'll rest and study at the same time. Pay no heed to the e-mails. Tip the world on its side and make Ira more than just a militia trainer. :)

The ethically questionable but still legitimate way is to take the cash hit and hire a high ranking merc that has some good equipment for one day, like Gus. Use that merc to clear the first few maps, and maybe secure the airport, and once they leave you get to keep their equipment.

The manly way is to use cover (kneel beside a rock or grass rather than stand out in the open), use stealth to its utmost and don't be afraid to run away and avoid patrols. Look around the starting map and you can find some throwing knives and try to use them for your opening attacks on any unsuspecting redshirts as often as you can. I think the little rocks you find had some diversionary purpose too - but memory is foggy at the moment.

Once you've played the game enough, I suspect you'll be replaying it with custom merc builds of all shapes and sizes, and using him/her to clear Omerta unaided.

- NKF

It'll take me a little while to get back to where I was, so hopefully Sunflash will keep you entertained until then.

I'd love to, but at this point it'd be a running commentary along the lines of "OKAY BULL YOU DISTRACT THEM WHILE I SNEAK Oh you died instantly. Damn. Reload and try something else!"

'course I haven't tried int he last few days because tOR and Skyrim happened...

@NKF: Thanks for the advice. I may try that ethically questionable bit, since I can't seem to get stealth to work right(I am toggling it on and crouching, but it seems to be as effective as walking in a ballpit full of squeaky toys...)

Try going Prone and sneaking, and bear in mind, getting within close range is very difficult at first. Try getting a silenced rifle, someone with Sneak skills and sticking to night-time raids. I found the Vintorez (assault rifle with built-in silencer) to be very good, but it is quite difficult to get a hold off at first.

Otherwise go re-read the M-team, there is a surprising amount of solid tactical advice to be learnt from FAs playstyle.

Remember if all else fails - Running for the building with only one entrance and waiting with the entire team till the suckers run face-first into your bullets is always an acceptable solution.

Having fun currently getting back to where I was. It's actually going faster than before, although the militia fights are holding me back (anyone else notice the automatic resolve system is very flawed? Normally, about 15 red enemies versus 20 green militia is a clear enemy win, yet when automatically resolved, the militia usually win) but everything else is going okay. I'm sticking as close as possible to the thread's events.

• 3 weeks later...