never ending game?

talon

i was kind of curious what happens if you don't go on the final mission and just keep playing

does the aliens start sending only battleships and only mutons and etherals

while you could build a huge amount of bases you might lose a few countries due to infiltration

whats the longest game you have played and what was it like at the end

off topic but on the playstation version of xcom did they fix the easy difficulty bug

They fixed the difficulty bug. They changed the text fonts too. A lot of bugs still exist however.

It seems to me the game becomes pretty constant within a year. You may not find a plasma pistol by then so you can't research it afterwards. Yes, muton and ethereal missions become frequent but not exclusive. There are other things too that determine how rare a race may be. Ethereals and mutons never do abduction missions and when an abduction mission is randomized, it has got to be sectoid or floater.

Aliens initiate maximum four missions per month: 1 terror, 1 retaliation, 2 others (base, infiltration, harvest, abduction). Then additional missions may be sparked any day if a base is present (base supply) or X-COM destroys or crashes an UFO (retaliation). Areas also determine the missions. For example a base mission may happen at any area whereas terror and abduction may not happen on Antarctica or Arctic.

Battleships are quite rare. The most common UFO is the Large Scout. Read the last post in the Guest Remarks in the UFOpaedia.org section. There I list the alien missions for Terror from the Deep. I don't know how much you know that game though I suppose you know Large Scout is Cruiser in that. The two games are quite similar. Every alien mission has an exact series of UFO types. That does not change through the months (or years). Optimally the wiki folks have already put the info on the wikipage. I may present detailed data for Enemy Unknown too in the future.

I recall a long time ago a friend of mine tried this. The aim was to get the UFO numbers up to 1000 before going to Cydonia. Being on beginner, it took a very long time.

I don't think there's a time limit at all as the game basically lets you play on and on for many years. You will lose the occasional country to infiltration. In fact you might end up losing all of them to infiltration except Russia - though if you've reached this point you will be able to sustain yourself easily through captured equipment alone, and the loss of most of the countries lessens the impact of infiltration missions. You will still need to keep your scores up though.

Alien appearance probabilities will be based on the very last table in:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=A...pearance_Ratios

As for the PSX Game, most definitely yes. It's actually the most polished version of the game available - except for the extremely long load times, limited save capacity on the memory card, and the loss of the painted aircraft images in the ufopaedia (replaced with less impressive spinning 3d images).

- NKF