Random junk found online

Azrael Strife

• 2 weeks later...

@silencer: now that he's playing XCOM 2 he should know full well that far worse can happen when you're coming from behind a truck. wink.png

@zombie: I have actually witnessed, dumbfounded and horrified, from the first storey of a building, a sixteen or seventeen year old girl "flying" after being hit by a car. She had done just about the exact same as we saw on the video above. Then she landed on the street and the car that had hit and projected her then ran over her! Incredibly, she lived - with a ton of traumas and bones broken all over. I later found out who she was and I knew her father. I've talked to him on several occasions after that and she has slowly recovered to a surprising degree, but I've lost count of the many surgeries she has had to endure and may yet still have to.

So, yeah, SV better scare himself and the kids right now, be harsh and stern about it so they get it very clearly this is no joking matter and could very well cost them their lives. Only the extremely lucky ones live to tell the story.

I've been driving now for 5 years, so far no accidents or tickets. But I think we've all seen the scenario where a kid is playing ball on the front lawn and when the ball is kicked into the street, the kid blindly runs after it between two parked cars and a driver has to slam on the brakes to avoid. For the most part, I thought that this isn't a common occurrence anymore due to kids being indoors more. However this has happened to me twice: the first time in 2013 and the second in 2016. Both times I was prepared for it though. And that's the key. Don't trust yourself to prevent an accident with your reaction time. It's not reliable or fast enough. You have to constantly scan your surroundings and determine if there are any hazards. When I see kids I automatically slow down... more if there are obstructions that block my view. ohmy.png

That said, there shouldn't be a reason for a 16 or 17 year old kid to get herself (or himself) into a situation like that anymore. By that age they should have learned not to blindly run into traffic. With all the crazies on the road, you can't expect the outcome to be good. Parents need to teach their kids about the dangers. There are a lot of crazy parents out there though and that's the sad part. unsure.png

- Zombie

That's why I don't have driving licence, don't want one and don't want a car. Thankfully I don't live in USA where public transport is said to be a nightmare.

It's not a nightmare, just nonexistent. tongue.png Well, it isn't that bad, but there aren't many options besides a bus (which doesn't go everywhere in a city due to urban sprawl) or a taxi (or Uber). If you go to a major city like Chicago or New York then you may get other options like subways or elevated trains (El's). The Seattle area has a decent light rail system (which I've used before)... it's clean, safe, and stops at most of the hot spots downtown making it easy to get around. Hotels in the area usually offer a free shuttle to get to the closest station so it isn't a big hassle either. :)

For the places I have to go, having a car is beneficial as it means I don't have to wait out in the cold for a bus which doesn't go as far as my house and shuts down in the early evening. Parking isn't bad here, and neither is traffic. The only thing you have to worry about is bad drivers (which seems to be nearly everyone). ;)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...