Random junk found online

Azrael Strife

Love it. I'd also kick Martin in the nuts for not finishing his writing before he let the TV take over. Now we see the TV actually taking over and making stuff up on its own. I can only hope that the continuation was at least a bit agreed on and will be reflected in the books.

Though nobody will read them as the show will be long over by the time Martin writes another book.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever wonder what happened to the Soviet "space shuttle" program? I did. Turns out the Soviets built more than one shuttle, and two of them are sitting on mothballs in the decaying VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building). A guy took some pretty amazing photos of it here. I'll post a pic or two so you can get an idea beforehand.

0_cbbde_a04689ea_orig.jpg

0_cbbf8_babd3a26_orig.jpg

Really, someone needs to raise some money to repair them and the building and create a museum. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't that hanging board before the bridge hung just to prevent such cases? It ought to be lowered to actual bridge hight or lower so that a driver gets a warning before the crash. Still, incredible that so many drivers "undersize" their vehicles.

11 Feet 8 inches seems pretty low for a bridge overpass. ;)

- Zombie

As short as 3.5 meters ;)

Isn't that hanging board before the bridge hung just to prevent such cases? It ought to be lowered to actual bridge hight or lower so that a driver gets a warning before the crash. Still, incredible that so many drivers "undersize" their vehicles.

It's because everyone has big feet ;)

Isn't that hanging board before the bridge hung just to prevent such cases? It ought to be lowered to actual bridge height or lower so that a driver gets a warning before the crash. Still, incredible that so many drivers "undersize" their vehicles.

Yes, the board is supposed to be a warning to drivers of tall loads of the overpass height (as is the sign) but apparently as is the case they ignore signs. Really, the board should be place earlier (like a block down) and then sign up the entire block to silly levels so it can't be missed. Give the trucks a turnaround so they can avoid it and bam, issue solved. Not so easy though.

I was reading the comments in the video and the bridge is over 100 years old (which explains the low height), and underneath is a bunch of utilities and sewer lines so it's not like you could shave 12 inches off the road and repave to give more height - you would need to move those utility lines which is expensive. I can sympathize with this, but the city (and state) should have got a hefty grant from the government to fix things a few years ago, that $ could have went to this project. (Though the government seemed to earmark those funds to frivolous projects around these parts such as adding "speed tables", meridians, and even mini circular intersections around school intersections to slow traffic down... instead of just posting a crossing guard which is usually a retiree who is willing to do this free of charge or very cheap).

If you can't go lower, then maybe you could go higher. Cut the landscape down around the railroad tracks leading up to the bridge and build the landscape up by the roads. Trains go underneath the traffic. You would need a new bridge of course (and a fair bit of excavating) but that's an option which eliminates bridge strikes.

If neither of these is viable, then area denial is the cheapest - close those roads down and force traffic to go a different route. Drivers will initially complain, but will eventually find a route which suits them and isn't too far out of the way. ;)

- Zombie