SotS][ reviews

Space Voyager

Right now, they are pretty devastating. StrategyInformer gave it 5.5 (of 10, not 6... and the rest are even worse).

It is kinda sad to see such negative responses to the next chapter of what I hold to be the best space strategy to date, but judging by discussions on the forum etc. they are an accurate grade of game's current state.

I'm almost happy my comp is not able to run the game. When I do get something that will, SotS][ is bound to be a well patched and expansed game. :phew:

Wait a month or two, it may yet.

The problem is that this is going to hurt the game's reputation greatly, by having all sites giving it a massively low score. I may try it, but this is going to affect Kerberos financially, it's still left to see if expansions for this games will ever see the light of day, let alone a sequel.

You are definitely right and this alone is a good reason to wait a month or two or several. Kerberos did get low scores with SotS1 as well (less devastating though) and they managed to weather the storm just fine. Reviewers back then proved to be incredibly protective of GalCiv2 and its expansions...

It was a much smaller Kerberos which helped them through rough times I'm sure.

We'll see. I hope they manage to pull it through or space strategy will suffer quite a severe blow.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. Deserved criticism, but still painful. I'm surprised everybody speaks of bugs only when SotS2 wasn't even playable. Got a CTD? So what, half the game is missing anyway.

I have no doubt it will be at least a good game in time, but this fiasco was much, MUCH worse than Star Ruler. Star Ruler was at least playable from the start.

Bah, I have a SotS1 AAR to finish. And it seems as though I have enough time.

• 1 month later...

Fort Zombie was just a detour project so I hope it would not become a rule. I tried playing it but the controls were so awkward I haven't tried since that first playing.

I think the stakes are far higher with SotS2 though. They have a third of the game to finish before they can start on expansions. And by now SotS2 relies on those as far as profit goes IMO.

I am watching some moveis on YT.. Well the game looks big improvement in gfx at least... too bad it is still not completed... and still I will not pay 40EUR for it... bah even 20 for me would still be too high..

Also I find it strange that in Both Sots you manualy can't change vertical position of ships...

Also a famous Hitler scene regarding Sots2

This is just an opinion but... this game will have good discounts before an expansion comes. By the look of it, this is also the time when the game will be playable. :)

Ok, I'm being a bit nasty here, but not far from the truth.

If you think this is a good opportunity, don't let me stop you! We'd all love to hear about the game. I might have considered to take the offer up myself if my comp was up to it.

All I know this game ain't forth it 40EUR's - take for example that Skyrim costs less if I am not mistaken and Batman costs 50 EUR's and both game are far more superior than this game.

Well considering that in Poland game prices are lower than in Weastern Europe.

For Example starting price for Skyrim was 120PLN lets count todays value 1 EUR = 4.3PLN, also for this price I could by Batman: AC or Battlefield 3 or any other top games, only Blizzard are idiots so I could buy SC2 or D3 for 200PLN...

Now let's compare Sots 2. - 40EUR is 175PLN - that is way too much for game that isn't full game to start with... now with price 7.5GBP (1GBP = 5.21 PLN) that is something near 45PLN (not including delivery which should be round 20 PLN) that s price quite acceptable.

Probably if there was a polish distributor that would be the price to start with 80-120PLN. So the real price of this game should be round 20EUR's.

Also take a look of new Jagged Alliance BiA. It costs 25EUR base... less and I believe it will ok at start. I can cope with this.

The game just arrived.

The box is simple. One DVD and two sided poster - on one side bigger version of box cover on the other side comparison of human cruiser vs very big bad octopus like enemy - guessing it is suulka ?

The box version comes with SolForce DLC pack, which I guess is similar DLC pack like it was for pre-order - more logos, music and voices for Humans.

I'll put some screenies when I get home.