Unsupported Videocard [NEW FIX]

m10s

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have been unable to get Silent Storm to run on my new computer and this file fixed the problem.

THANK YOU!!!!!

All thanks to Novik. The last problem has lost is widescreen in SS^2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for figuring this out and sharing! This worked wonderfully to make Silent Storm v1.2 playable again on my Windows 7 64 system.

It's too bad the resolutions don't go as high as they could in Sentinels, but with AA and filtering it doesnt really matter.

This is such a great thing to have figured out. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

Just bought the game off gog.com , been looking for this game for ages.

I have no shadows in the game at all and it doesn't seem like antialiasing is working either. I got the link to this post from gog support after contacting them about the issue.

I downloaded the file and unzipped it into the silent storm folder. Problem is when I try to run the game I get a "game.db file not found" error. Only happens when I put the dll in the folder. If I don't the game runs fine, but without AA or shadows.

Is anyone else having this issue? Or perhaps have a solution?

Running on Win7 64bit system with gtc560ti SLI (have tried running with SLi disabled and in XP compatibility mode). using the latest foreware 301.42 drivers

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Shaoling

1.Open cfg folder (in main directory)

2. find s3config (RMB>properties>security>edit permissions>give your user full control, in order to be able to save when you are done)

3. open s3config with Notepad and edit the appropriate line

setvar gfx_cl = 0.00 to setvar gfx_cl = 1.00 to enable advanced lighting if you see only flares from point light objects (like lamps)

and / or

setvar gfx_shadows = 0.00 to setvar gfx_shadows = 1.00 to enable shadows

4. Save

I have the same OS and GTX 560ti also and had to edit the same thing (gfx_cl, in my case) to enable lights (not just flares) in Sentinels as well as Hammer and Sickle

Hopefully, this will work for you.

~Blunter~

Hi Blunter,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running the Silent Storm Gold edition that was released on gog.com recently.

There is no s3config file in the cfg folder of Silent Storm. It is however located in the Silent storm Sentinels cfg folder, but the settings are already set to what you suggested.

Unfortunately even with the settings you suggested the lighting and shadows are missing in Silent Storm Sentinels. I tried moving the file to the cfg folder in Silent storm, but with no luck.

Are you using the file listed in this post as well?

If you are refering to d3d9.rar posted by M10s - then yes, I am using it as well. I am also using Lorondo's fix from this post . You might want to give those a try. They worked for me. I am not sure if Mediafire is safe at the moment (it gave me some fake virus alerts, so tread with caution)

Changing Compatibility mode for the exe., provided with the fix, to XP SP3 in 256 colors initially helped me start the game but without d3d9.rar.

Later, though, I specifically set it to Win7 compatibility and it worked. Don't ask me why :)

So, in essense, play around with the settings and see what works for you.

Good luck!

~Blunter~

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M10,

Thank you so much! Game is running now, was considering a dual boot and other crazy options, but now it's running on Win 7 64. Thumbs down to the developers for not finding or passing on this easy fix, no wonder PC gaming is dying off...

• 10 months later...

Just as a note to anyone installing Silent Storm from disc to a Win7 system and then applying the fix above, don't let the installer choose to install to the default location - in my case it was C:Program Files (x86)/JoWooD. I had administrator issues with extracting the fix to this folder and I'm not an expert on Win7 security protocols to diagnose a way around it. So if you install to the default path and run across issues with extracting the patch to the folder, try moving the folder to somewhere like Documents and then applying the fix. Worked for me. smile.png

I'm also adding the original fix as a .zip file here as a courtesy to other folks who may not want to download an AnnoyingWare™ rar program to decompress it. wink.png

Win7 S2 Fix.zip

- Zombie

• 3 years later...

Has anyone gotten this game to work on Windows 10? I know I got it working with Win 8.1, when I go to launch the .exe (it's run as admin and under win xp serv pak 2) with the .dll file and patch, the little H&S logo appears and then nothing. Checked task manager and it's not running in the background, it simply closes.

Anyone?

-NoX

It certainly is on Steam and GOG, I think I have it from both of them in fact (can never be too safe with this classic game). wink.png Haven't heard about anybody having trouble running these versions from Steam or GOG under Win 10.

- Zombie

My fault, I didn't mean Silent Storm, I meant Hammer & Sickle.