Novabomb random solar systems.

maxoman

Just try it. :) When going on a mission in one of your own solar systems use a ship equiped with a Novabomb. Kill the pirates/aliens, carefully aim at the sun (it won't be highlighted, but it works, if the mission area is near enough to it and if its EXACTLY in your crosshair), fire the nova, wait a minute or so and have FUN! :devil:

Much fun but quite bad for your score. :angel:

I haven't seen someone bring this up before so please don't be offended if I repeat someone's post.

Yes it would be better, but due to the shortened range and slowness of a such equipped ship, chances are better for doing so on one of your own systems.

And I'd rather consider it to be a nice easter egg then an actual usefull weapon, :) because its cheaper and needs less effort just to blow up the alien outpost within such a system. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I once tried to hit an Alien Outpost with the Nova Bomb, it swerves out of the way and towards the star.

However, I haven't found out how to do this without your ship being destroyed. If you hit the Hyperdrive too early, the mission is considered a failure. If you do this too late, your ship makes a very nice fireworks show.

• 1 year later...
any of u who have done the final mission know how the nova bomb works, u let it go and it sits about for a while before it reachs full velocity and enters hyperspace, i would assume that at that point it would be safe to go, ive never tried this since i dont intend to wipe out my own outposts ;) before impact the computer gives warnings as to how long before the bomb hit the sun, so dont hang around when u hear these unless u long for death, its really only designed for the final misson but if u like black holes then feel free to wipe out sum star systems, it was not designed in the game for other systems but i think ive once launched a nova bomb and once it hit hyperspace i legged it, if i recall a bit later i got a report that the system had become a black hole and all planets destroyed, give it a go and see what happens

• 1 month later...

Actually, I've downloaded the RAD tools program (Allows me to view BINK and Smacker files that most video games use for their FMV's) and I played an FMV and it was an X-com pilot testing the Nova bomb on a star.

So I assume that at some point this FMV is used in the game. When and how it appears I do not know.