Getting into UFO:ET - some questions

jterry

Hello everybody. A big TFTD fan here which, after many years of not taking interest in PC games, drove me to try UFO:ET upon learning that such TFTD-clone game exists in the first place.

Now, as the game itself is very similar to TFTD, I`ve had no problems getting into the game from the begining, but there are some things I`d like to know, and would appreciate help.

I`m playing UFO:ET Gold version, which I presume has the 2.0 patch.

Now, I`m playing for a while now but I still can`t research any Plasma-related technology. It just stands there under "research" but I cannot select it for research. Is there something I must do before researching Plasma? I`ve researched everything researchable so far.

The game itself is running very lagged on occasions. I`ve noticed that when I change the resolution and color depth (it doesn`t even have to be a new resolution, I just re-select the current one and save the settings again), the lag goes away after loading desired save, but during the game it can occur again. I`m playing it on my HP Dual Core 2 Mhz, 3 GB Ram laptop, though.

That`s about it...for now. :(

Thank you.

Now, I`m playing for a while now but I still can`t research any Plasma-related technology. It just stands there under "research" but I cannot select it for research. Is there something I must do before researching Plasma? I`ve researched everything researchable so far.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To unlock Plasma research you have to capture a commander and research it. It will unlock Plasma technology.

There is a number of technologies that are unlocked by researching a commander so try to capture them early in the game.

Commanders are recognized from other aliens by their color. For example, vipon commanders are green.

You need at least 8-10 commanders (I don't remember how many but this is close enough number). Each commander will give you something to progress, so it is wise to get all the tech from current commander.

Everything you would want to know you will find at www.ufo-scene.com . It is the best place to find anything with UFO:ET.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for your help, even though I did found all that through playing the game. The only thing I have problem with now is, well two thing to be precise, are moneys and finding commanders. I keep running out of funds, it has gone so bad I had to start a new game from the beginning now watcing my funding much more. And I can` seem to differ commanders from regular aliens. I only know how to recognise one commander, the one that is damn bloody hard to kill, not the Priest but the other similar one with particle cannon in it and molecular control ability.

Thanks for the welcome and help, I shall look into that board for further assistance with the game.