X-COM Interceptor

dauphinbienveillant

I personally think it would be quite a good buy. In its design it is not too original, but if you ever feel like sharpening the skills with your joystick then that's the game to play. :) The difficulty level is quite nasty at Superhuman (despite the fact that many people claim that your wingmen can just swoop in and save the day).

The base management side of this game is on a par with other xcom games, and the probe business is good, but i really hate flying the combat missions because the controls on this game's flight simulator are dodgy to say the least. Most of the time the wingmen can pick off your target before you get a chance to hit it(unless you use the expensive missiles) and even then most of those miss their target!

However, do not let this put you off! The game is a nice touch to the series, varied enough to be interesting and you soon get used to the combat!

I hope that this will help you to make up your mind either way, but I personally would say YES! I have this game and really enjoy it!

• 4 weeks later...
Are you crazy..........? Of course it's a good buy. Interceptor is the only x-com game that you have total control over the fighting, and it's great fun. one of the best parts is the base an research part. the researching is (well i think :)) the pest of all the x-com games, no more scentistis, they are a waste of space.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha, Strike. $4.99, right here! The game is so cheap right now I wonder if it can pay for the packaging it comes in when you buy it!

I would say yes, it is a good buy. It isn't the best space flight combat sim out there, imho, X-Wing: Alliance takes the cake. It's a good game though, although I got quite pissed when the last alien transmission you have to research NEVER CAME.

I like the game though, although it was my least favorite out of the four (I don't even count enforcer as a game). The base management is cool, I like completely maxing my base out full of laser turrets and just watching the fireworks when some loser squadron of sectoids comes to try and beat me up.

In conclusion, buy it. Unless it's over $10, then don't. But I doubt it would be that expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

*sniff* If only my new-fangled PC would let it play properly without adding things liek space mines that aren't really there on missions and so forth :P

Still, great game and I'm sure I've got an old PC ehre somewhere :P

I've just bought home my last pc :P Got a 95, 98 and two XP computers here now :P One is for work though ;)

I find Interceptor runs perfectly on the '98 system, not at all on the others! But then saying that, windows is wierd... Especially on internet connected computers (as always) but I find the same version of windows differs between computers...

As far as the actual game oes though (thanks SS, this is another nice res you've gotten us into!) I love XCom and I adore space sims, all sorts of them... Unfortunately as Mouse said, Interceptor didn't blend them so well as it could have done. All the XCom games are getting old but the fact they're XCom makes them infinitely replayable.

I feel the same with Interceptor and personally I could replay it constantly but it's lost a little of the depth of the original games and kind of exists just to 'brand the genre' much like the poorly reviewed Enforcer...

I love it, a lot of people don't, buy it and see what you think :P

I bought it a long time ago and played it a few times. It was a game of it's time but I never seem to go back to it as I do the others.

I remember getting so annoyed at the lack of pics for the pilots, at every base the faces were the same, it was like living in Norfolk. Small thing I know but I like to 'live' in the games I play.

How about mid-Wales? That's pretty inbred and most of it doesn't have internet (or even telephone) access. Where else would people think that shoving some plastic ducks in the river and betting on which one is the fastest is entertainment?

Well, it's aways better than playing baseball using pedestrians instead of balls. Should I really name the places? :P

:P too true, I love being English! Crazy foreigners eh :P Mid Wales I can accept... I did used to live in south Wales too though so make sure its mid ok! And we have duck races round here where I am now in Sussex too. It's the peak of enteratainment :P

Seems duck racing is universal, there are loads of them here.

One in particular is worth watching though. Powered ducks - some of them are quite inovative including one that raised and lowered it's own sails!!

While we are on the subject, where is this drought I keep hearing about? It hasn't stopped raining here for at least a fortnight.

The drought is in SE England. I've had beautiful wether virtually 7 days a week for months both in Oxfordshire and here in Sussex! The rain seems to be starting up again now though, its not often but every so often it'll have a little shower!

• 2 weeks later...