Invasion Postponed Until 2012

Pete

post-a4714-ufoet2.jpg

Chaos Concept have informed us that UFO Extraterrestrials 2: Shadows Over Earth has been delayed until March 2012, but is still alive and well!

The development studio Chaos Concept has decided to spend more time improving the design of the global gameplay as well as the tactical combat. Some of the extra development time will be devoted to adding new features based on feedback by the fans at www.ufo-scene.com. Some of the new features include:
  • Alien mobile fortresses which the player must battle on both the globe and in tactical combat.
  • New player-controlled aircraft, including several types of helicopters. Different aircraft will have different combat capabilities forcing the player to use the right craft for the right job.
  • More varied alien abilities in tactical combat to keep the players on their toes. For example, the Magetra have the unique ability to consume dead aliens and humans to heal and energize themselves during combat.
  • More varied tactical combat mission types.

To learn more about the game, visit https://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/

ufoet2.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty bad.... I mean the delay

UFO2ET is such a massive undertaking for our small team. We do not want to release the game until we are sure that we are delivering the best possible experience to our fans. I know this delay will be disappointing to our fans, but they can take comfort in the knowledge that UFO2 will be even better because of it. More aliens to fight. More technology to research. Keep watching our website for new screenshots and information about the game.

But overall it looks great on screenies so I keep fingers crossed for those guys.

• 6 months later...
I believe they would like the smoke after XCOM to fall down.

I don't think they have to, unless they make it too a Steam exclusive game.

There's a market (smaller ok) for non-Steam games. their game should be a hit if they sell it as independant or on GOG.

Also to be honest - I am more waiting for this game than Xenonanuts. Not that I wouldn't like to play Xenos too.

Me too, but for Xenonauts is a Desura game. I don't like Desura for it's a Steam-like (for independants) as you need their platform.

You need to update your information ;)

A pre-order of Xenonauts will grant you access to the current development build of Xenonauts, as well as a copy of the final game on either Desura or Steam.

Taken from their site. Also I think they have lowered their price to 22 EUR from 40 ? I might even buy that premium.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There are some screenshots, oddly enough the geoscape shows Earth, I was expecting something Mercury-er. Anyhow, they don't really look that good, this game looks exactly the same as the first one, which is now about 7 years old already.

Exactly, Why have the title "Battle For Mercury" when it has the atlas of Earth? Ah who knows, the first game was passable, story line wasn't at all interesting.

IMHO the original title "Shadows Over Earth" makes a hell of a lot more sense with uh you know an Earth geoscape.....

Noticed though the screen shots are dated 2013, so who knows.

@AS - we don't know what the game will be like on the release, so I don't see a point to complain about the title yet. And as for graphics - the style is maybe the same but the graphics are better than the previous - much better. And also I don't see any point to complain about them since there are plenty of indie games that uses old Atari graphics and people don't complain.

@AS - we don't know what the game will be like on the release, so I don't see a point to complain about the title yet. And as for graphics - the style is maybe the same but the graphics are better than the previous - much better. And also I don't see any point to complain about them since there are plenty of indie games that uses old Atari graphics and people don't complain.

He didn't complain about the title, I did. This game isn't even a successor or a tribute to X-COM it's a knock off plain and simple.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the screenshots are dated 2013, even the oldest ones if you go back through the archive on that page, so I guess the year is more for copyright purposes than showing the age of the screenshots.

Makes it hard to tell what's new though!

Hi, i lurk as well on their forums and lately they have posted some new material, a few screenshots of the geoscape, all alien and some human airship pics. People on forum are pressing for a gameplay video, which they seem to be putting together prettty slowly...(couple of months tellin us they are doing it)

I can say that they seem to have revived lately, but they keep a very hermetic attitude with their fans, which is very bad for game given for dead and its lingering doubt of never be completed.

The art style is not bad, but those overly saturated purples tones on everything dont settle good with me at all.

• 1 month later...

As long as they will make it I think it is good that they are perfecting it. Right now you have Xenonauts :P

Dear players,

unfortunately the release date will be delayed to the Q3/2014. At this moment developers are still working intensively on refining all levels, improving lights, textures and terrain to increase playability.

Before the game is released there will be a marketing campain including trailer, gameplay, interviews and game previews in which you can get involved and support developers.

Thank you for your support and understanding. We really appreciate it.

• 7 months later...

Lies. Sadly, even if they came out with a great game it would be buried with stories of FPS's, gay conventions, oculus rift interventions for people who truly want to see what their shit looks like with goggles on. I'm fucking bitter.

Is that a quote-able signature statement?