Deus Ex: Human Revolution

FullAuto

OMG, Racist!

Slightly overblown.

I think they need to take a step back and trade the racism card in for a bad voice acting card. Surely that's the bigger crime going on there?

I can see where they're coming from, but from the small portion of the clip I watched I didn't hear her saying anything stupid like "why certainly massa" or anything like that - just talking with what seems like a potentially slightly odd accent for that character.

Anyway, SC2 is racist against Zerg if we're going to be this ridiculous - they get called all sorts of unsavoury things in that game.

Finished the game. End level was horrible though ending itself wasn't so bad. Credits and post credits were awesome!

Unfortunately the game getting such good reviews and being the best thing in last couple of years only tells me how shallow, simple and constrained games have become. Human Revolution doesn't even come close to original Deus Ex's depth and gameplay quality. Just a warning, that is my opinion and feel free to disagree. My main gripe with the game is horrible level design. Where in original Deus Ex levels felt natural, made like real locations gives to the player to play and explore, here in Human Revolution levels feel like artificial corridors with clear division between paths for character types - completely ruins gameplay and any potential replayability for me.

I guess I should replay Deus Ex once more to get an enjoyable experience, might aswell visit the Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines along the way.

Finished it as well.

I am... disappointed, the game itself is not bad by any means, but after the few first levels, I had the unavoidable feeling I was playing Splinter Cell Conviction. Human Revolution uses the same cover system found in that game, and I tell you, you rarely do any face to face confrontations, 95% of the game I spent covering around corners, waiting for troopers to get close, and using the automatic takedown, at first it was cool, later it was plain boring.

Hacking was entertaining... for a while, they merged computer hacking and lockpicking into this hacking minigame, it got old too fast and later I was just hoping for no more.

Story is not nearly as good as the original, not close to half as good actually. Personally, I found the story boring and badly told; seeing some old organizations found in the original made me excited as I was expecting to see myself immersed in the same world, but nope.

The levels are, for the most part, forgettable and uninteresting; I just beat the damn game and I don't really remember the levels I went through, I can probably name them all from the original game, and I haven't played it in like 5 years. AI is mostly silly on Normal, I was infiltrating a police station and I would open and crawl into an airvent with no less than 5 police officers all around me and not one of them was alerted by this (and they *were* facing me while I did this).

The enemy selection is extremely limited, the weapon selection is limited as well, btw NO MELEE WEAPONS! :P WTF?

Reading emails and newspapers was interesting the first few times, but after a bit I just skipped computers altogether (except control computers), it was just so damn boring! most emails had little to no relevance to the story, in the original I read all the stuff I could find, each bit made me believe in that world more, here they dropped the ball.

The augmentations are nice, but at the end I pretty much had all augmentations, it made it feel a bit cheap, it was easy to get them.

They dumbed down the RPG elements in character progression, meaning there are no more skills, only augmentations; you're pretty much skilled at any weapon you get, making you slightly better with augs.

Auto regenerating health... I'm not sure how I feel about that decision in a Deus Ex game; as long as you cover long enough, you're pretty much invincible.

So... it's not Invisible War, I'll give it that. It's not a bad game, but I won't be replaying it any time soon, I was honestly bored to death in the second half of the game, hoping it would pick up.

Also, boss battles suck, this is not Final Fantasy! It should not have boss battles! It's not like fighting Anna Navarre or the other guy I can't remember the name of in the original. They were tough, but there was nothing special about them, they were just augmented agents with the same powers you could unlock in the game. Here the bosses are definitely special and much tougher than you. I get it they wanted a more cinematic feel to the battles, but I found it cheap and very arcade-y. I could literally guess when there was a boss battle ahead, because of the heavy weapon and ammo laying casually on the floor in front of the closed door, convinient.

I wanted to replay DX as soon as I finished it, and have played it several times. This one I won't be touching again anytime soon.

Great first impression game, but boring after that first impression.

To sum up, I kept playing through all of it because it was a Deus Ex game, not because I enjoyed it :P

Edit: The endings suck, all of them.

Some bizarre rubbish being talked in that article.

Why on Earth should Square Enix apologise for other people perceiving racism? Eidos Montreal developed the game, so surely if there is any racism, it's from them? More to the point, does anyone seriously believe Eidos Montreal have got a racist employee who plants racist stereotypes in their games? Surely you would need several individuals colluding, in fact? E.g. writer, artist, voice actor etc?

Load of fuss over nothing.

Sometimes I wonder if the people decrying racism aren't the most racist of them all, since it bothers and concerns them so much. Live and let live - we all have red blood inside regardless of our skin colour. Except maybe cyborgs, they bleed DW40.

Also if they release a patch to change the affected character to a white hobo and give it a thick Redneck accent, someone else is bound to get up in arms about it.

- NKF

I would be that person. Seriously, I'd keep going until that character was purple, by which time I'd be so proficient in 'shopping my skin colour that I'd still be able to complain about it.

The only way to beat this sort of thing is to drive it to its logical extreme.

It's not necessarily the people who "decry" racism who are specifically the most racist, though - there's all sorts of funny mindsets out there. Probably the most common is the "racially tolerant" view - it always amuses me to see a country's leaders ramble on about how "tolerant" they are (if you don't get my point - if you "tolerate" someone, you don't like something about them).

Just started this. Impressive level of polish. Don't agree with the cover system but I never do, in any game.

Not sure about Jensen's Clint voice, trying too hard for that gravelly quality that not many people have.

Graphics are nice, I like the style, it's a little too shiny in places but that's the future I suppose.

It feels like Deus Ex, in that there's multiple routes through the levels, shitloads of stuff to discover (possibly too much, actually) and you're rewarded for being nosy. I'm currently being Adam "Vent Rat" Jensen and exploring every single nook and cranny.

The combat is that strange Deus Ex mix of precision and clumsiness, with no fluidity to the gunplay. If you implement a cover system, then the enemies should co-ordinate and fire and move. They don't. The cover system isn't bad, it's decent as they go, but I just think cover systems are a cop-out.

The melee moves are another jarring switch to third-person, plus, even the KO versions aren't silent, so what's the point?

Still, the story isn't bad (for a game it's actually quite good, but still predictable), the voice acting is decent, the dialogue isn't awful and the conversation options are a nice option.

Hacking, I confess, I haven't grasped yet. Must work on that.

Okay, so. It's probably a good thing I didn't do an AAR because about 75% of the screenshots would be of vents. Not the most thrilling viewing.

Adam "Vent Rat" Jensen has so far broken into so many offices he could easily be a cat burglar, if cat burglars routinely read every single ebook and epaper left lying around, scrupulously stole every single energy bar available, downed heady painkiller and whisky cocktails on the job, and left behind a trail of undrunk beers, stun gun ammunition, and tranquiliser darts, as he flung them from his inventory to make room for useful things like grenades and firearms.

Quickly becoming embroiled in a blackmail scam in the workplace, Jensen investigated, broke into the blackmailer's flat, and cleaned the place out, stopping only to have a beer and reposition the fridge hilariously in the entrance to the kitchen. Hijinks were interrupted by the entrance of a thug looking for the blackmailer. After receiving a 10mm face piercing, said thug was left in the bathroom by the toilet in the traditional pose of those having imbibed too much, and Jensen took to his heels, cackling.

Let's see the blackmailer deal with A) not being able to get into his kitchen to make a cup of coffee and B) a dead man leaking brains all over the bathroom floor!

Having stolen the thug's shotgun, Jensen hurried back to Sarif HQ and divested himself of a load of crap in his perfectly-secure-as-is-everyone's office. Leaving a machine pistol, several full magazines of ammo, and various drugs all over his office floor, Jensen carefully closed his door behind him and forgot all about his huge windows, which allowed anyone passing by to see the drugs/guns floor deco combo. Investigating the blackmail further, Jensen really enjoyed hacking every PC in sight and reading everyone's most private email, chuckling to himself and probably sniffing the chairs of men and women alike.

Adam "The Vengenator" Jensen confronted the blackmailer, who said he would gladly stop mailing black people if Jensen would just take care of some drug dealers who were hassling him. Jensen decided to give his new toy a whirl, and after tracing the two criminals, blasted them both point-blank. Giggling, Jensen reloaded and then took several 10mm rounds in the back as the dealers' "homies" turned up and busted caps, if not into his ass, then at least his lower back.

Squealing, Jensen sought cover behind a dumpster, blindfiring to buy time while his augmented systems healed his cowardly flesh. After wounding at least four innocent bystanders, Jensen got his act together and returned accurate fire, this time killing a screaming tagger, before finally taking down the three gangsters who were actually shooting at him.

Adam "Shaky" Jensen robbed their corpses once his hands had stopped trembling, topped himself up with beer, and treated his nerves with some consumerism, picking up some weapon mods from a nearby criminal. His combat rifle looked very snazzy with a laser sight, so he bought that, then some shotgun cartridges, and a damage mod to up the power of his pistol. Not satisfied with his lacklustre hacking skills, Jensen picked up some electronic lockbreaker things and slapped them on every locked door and PC he could find, exploring the nearby buildings and flats at will. Until he ran out.

He then spotted a half-open window, which would save him walking all the way down those stairs with his pockets full of heavy loot, and jumped out. Thankfully, the fall wasn't very far, because it was an adjacent rooftop rather than the street. It was far enough to leave him groaning in a heap with less than 10% health, though, and he lay still while his bones grated back into place. Slowly easing up from the surface of the roof, Jensen picked bits of stone out of his face while his legs healed and his hips undislocated, then limped around, looking for stuff to nick.

A few grand had bought some info from a local person of no fixed abode (Jensen screeched at the price in the manner of an alarmed seagull, throwing the 3.5k credits into the rubbish the homeless bitch was already digging through) who said that not only were there weapons in the police station, but, forestalling the violence in Jensen's eyes, hands, mind, heart, and many firearms, she also told him of a sniper's nest on a rooftop.

After scouring the roof, Jensen reverted to type, opened up the nearest vent, and huddled inside out of the rain. There, waiting for him, was a lovely, sexy sniper rifle, and he snatched it up and fled into the night, waving it overhead, leaving behind only a wobbly pyramid of drugs and alcohol, evicted from his inventory to make room for the massive rifle.

Jensen's job at Sarif Industries as head of security has certain perks. Perks like having an office full of drugs and guns. Perks like hurdling the desks in the lobby and throwing cardboard boxes at the janitors. Perks like visiting the local police station.

Jensen smoothly hoovered up everything in every desk drawer with frightening efficiency, nudging compliant detectives sat at their desks aside to get at the shiny goods within. Revolver ammunition (but no revolver), credits, painkillers, machine pistol ammunition, virus software, pistol ammunition, shotgun cartridges, a machine pistol, two shotguns, and many, many pistols later, he slowly accrued the sort of wealth magpies would kill for, and after selling the spare weapons to Grayson the Emphysema-Suffering Arms Dealer, he came back for more. Unfortunately, getting into the armoury involved choking a cop unconscious, and Jensen was forced (he wasn't forced) to then drag the snoozing lawman into a vent, where he would no doubt awake and not wonder for one single second how in the Hell he got to be in a vent. Wandering around, Jensen disturbed an interrogation, a coffee break, a witness interview, and came to the attention of God knows how many suspicious pairs of eyes, defusing them with a Post-It note stuck to his jacket which read simply "Vent Inspector".

Emptying the armoury of guns and ammunition, Jensen waddled out through the vents and then swaggered by the police, whistling nonchalantly as pills and cartridges spilled from his pockets. With his office floor becoming difficult to navigate, Jensen took a detour to his flat, where he dropped a load of drugs and guns, ammunition, grenades, and a box of crossbow bolts and immediately felt his leg bones stop creaking.

Avoiding his desk, which was covered in pictures of: A) him with his (now dead) girlfriend, B) his (now dead) girlfriend, or C) his (now dead) girlfriend and his (now dead) dog, Jensen swanned through to the bathroom to freshen up. The mirror was smashed, unfortunately, in the Great Negligent Pistol Discharge of This Morning. He completed his nose-hair plucking routine with great difficulty using a variety of cunningly-placed shards, then set about reading his own emails with the sort of glee he usually reserved for other peoples'.

Discovering a hidey hole behind the mahoosive flat screen TV, which joined the mirror in Household Heaven as he accidentally shot it in excitement, Jensen took everything there, only to have to drop half of the drugs and ammunition again to make room for future five-fingered purchases.

It's a hard life for a man with such a small inventory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I found that the cover system takes away much of the fun, it's far too easy to kill almost all enemies in the room unless they are clustered together in a big effing mess. Robots are underused and were far more effectively used for internal security in the original.