Deus Ex: Human Revolution

FullAuto

Apparently this is a bit good? Yet to hear of a bad review. There's just one problem:

You're playing as Adam Jensen, chief of security at Sarif Industries, a leading augmentation company and the target of all sorts of corporate jealousy and militant activism. Following a break-in at the start of the game in which you fall through some glass and get both your arms amputated

I'm sorry, but I can no longer take this game seriously. Were I to play it and actually see this I would simply self-detonate from hilarity. Playing the cyberpunk equivalent of Clouseau is not for me.

No sale.

...he lost both his arms in a freak glazing accident.

Great, now because of this line and the amusement of the double arm amputation, I see the lead in Deux Ex: Human Revolution as Derek Zoolander:

If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident...
:P

Mmm. Excellent game so far. Echoes of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Vampire:Bloodlines (in various ways).

Takes itself very seriously, so some people might be allergic to it on that basis. Not me.

(And no, you don't exactly "fall" through some glass, except in euphemistic ways. It's rather more violent than that.)

I am loving this game, and Jensen is the as cool a protagonist as J.C. Denton.

Also, it's not just "fall through some glass", you should play this, it's Deus Ex good.

I am sad to say my first mission was a disaster, I let the god damn hostages die :P so long XP points!

After the disappointment IW was, this sure redeems the company, it plays as good as the original, the inventory and ammo is back, the HUD is non intrusive, the augmentations available are very interesting, the hacking minigame is fun.

In short, this game rocks, a must have if you loved DX :P

At what point do problems arise?

It was arising in the install, but I did find a fix. When it's uncompressing game files, hit either ctrl-alt-del, or ctrl-shift-esc and end 3 things. The first one will be like SystemFiles.exe or something like that. The second is a mpmmaps.exe, or maybe even mdmmaps. I dan't recall the third, but ending those all helps install it. I made it through training no problem, and now into the first mission.

Now, back on to point of this thread. I'm more than willing to wait for it to be out a little while to actually buy it, and get it a little cheaper that way.

How much does the story in this touch the storyline that began in Deus Ex? Or is it a separate story entirely? A separate story would definitely be a good thing in my mind after what IW did to our hero(es) from the first title.

I think I saw some 'coming soon' placeholders for this title in the PS3 title racks a month or so back. In that case I might pick it up once the 'new product' price has dropped a bit too.

- NKF

Come on, don't leave us in the dark! Do tell! It is a prequel, so we will be seeing people from the past (future)? Would you be telling too much if you told whom?

Haven't played that much, but

most of the intel I'm hacking from the bad guys are letters and orders given by Manderley, your boss from DX. Also, there are many things hinting at the nano modification revolution. I'm sure there are a lot more stuff leading to the first game.

Spoilerified, I don't wanna ruin the game for anyone who wants the surprises :P

I was starting to think they modelled Alex after Paul Denton, JC's brother.

Also I see there's going to be statuettes of characters from this series. From the obvious hero, there's also a mention of a lady with a Russian sounding name. Please tell me I'm absolutely wrong, but this wouldn't be the same one JC later LAM'd on the airbus at La Guardia?

- NKF