My enhancements to Interceptor

DadaOrwell

Wow! I just found this X-COM site and wanted to say it's awesome to learn that there is an active community of Interceptor fans out there!

I think it's the most underrated game there is, almost unique in its action/strategy blend.

But over the years I've made extensive modifications to my copy which enhance game play. Most of the changes are in the GameSettings.ini file. I'd like to enhance Interceptor even more and then make the changes public so others can try them. But one thing is holding me back:

I feel Dave Ellis made the ships too fast, and I'm trying to slow them down to give the game more of an "X-WING" feel. This seems to work in the combat simulator, but during strategy game combat the "slowdown" only affects *my* ship! Yuck!

Any advice? I've tried everything I can think of from adjusting turbos to adjusting max speed, etc. I'm thinking of writing Ellis himself for advice, any other ideas who I could write?

Solving this riddle could make Interceptor twice as fun as it is now; believe me the game rocks when you drop the speed of all the fighters. We need to make the most of the existing X-COM games considering how much trouble they're having making a new one.

If you reply please copy your reply to me via email: dadaorwell@NOSPAMaol.com

Much thanks, and, again...great to see you guys out here!

Dada Orwell

Liberty in Our Lifetime

https://freestateproject.org

Welcome to XTC!

Nice idea you have. I would like to see it in action!

In regards to Dave Ellis, I'm not sure where he is, Pete would probably know, I'll ask him next oppurtunity I have.

There are some files which apply to the general engine speed; you should be able to change it from there. As to the location of the files, I'm not sure; check out the support forum. There was something in there about editing the stats of a Data Probe to get rid of it for XP people.

• 3 months later...

Yup, that goes for me too. :) There were so many editing abilities with all the X-Com games, except with Interceptor (or at least that's how I feel. To be prefectly frank I'm just a bit too lazy to get down to real modding. :) )

So keep up the good work! :argh:

• 3 years later...

Slowing it down sounds like a great idea. The speed was always something I found annoying, well that and no locking on for cannons (the reason I always preferred Freespace2 to Interceptor)

After finishing Freespace, playing Interceptor conjured up images of Benny Hill

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Slowing it down sounds like a great idea. The speed was always something I found annoying, well that and no locking on for cannons (the reason I always preferred Freespace2 to Interceptor)

After finishing Freespace, playing Interceptor conjured up images of Benny Hill

LOL, I think that's probably the only reason I was able to finish Freespace2 (After the fast paced Interceptor, FS seemed strangly calm)

The only modification I've made is to the config file. Increasing the speed of the heavy laser, not for cheating but because I'm pedantic when it comes to physics, and the lasers always seemed too slow. My ideal setup is slow plasma but fast lasers, making them more of a tradeoff rather then an upgrade.