I hope this is true

thecyke

You see this is why i hate aprils fool, now i cant tell if this is for real or not. An interesting thread here on a version of X-Com for the pocket PC, talking about this thread here taken from the developers site here. The fact the origin is in russian doesnt help.

I'm hesitant to even post this, i hope it doesnt backfire :)

Ultima Underworld has been out for some time on the PocketPC. I tried it, but as much as I'm a fan of the Ultima series, underworld 1 & 2 never got me.

From what I have seen so far of the PPC version of XCom, it seems genuine. However I don't think any big names are behind it, or I would have heard about it since I'm pretty involved in PocketPC development. And since there's no english screenshot, it's probably safe to say that this is going to be a free, fan project instead of a commercial release.

My 2 cents anyway :)

--Eric

Ok, first off, I typed a reply, then the server died (at my end) and I lost it. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/hmm.gif

Then I typed it again (as I had nothing else to do), saved it to my USB drive and transported it. The file dissapeared, a filescan found nothing, and I'd reghosted the machine I typed it on.

Something is trying to keep this information from being published. Be afraid. Be very afraid... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/grr.gif

Anyhoo. On with the exciting info!

Go here. It's an online translator.

Then, grab the URL to the russian page in Cyke's first post, and fill out the translation form.

Enjoy.

Make sure you grab the archive (zip file) of their screens. They show the development enviroment and everything!

To sum up, they've changed a few things, made earth weapons more effective, for eg. They've upped the difficulty (the original was too easy for them, it would seem - fair enough!), made two handed weapons TWO HANDED, and you can no longer sell any item at any time, you must wait for a buyer.

(They wonder which restaruant you sell the corpses to... they read the Sectoid Sausages™ thread of long ago! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/laugh.gif)

The game will work by touch screen, or by the buttons, whichever you choose.

They've tried to stop you loading and saving all the time, or some such thing...

The hiring screen is now more like Apocalypse; you can't just hire X amount of scientists at any time.

The translator is not perfect (it calls the aliens 'newcomers' for eg), but you can get any more info you need to know from there. I've tried to be more complete, bu-