An interview with Jonathan Pelling

Seems his goal in the interview was to convince us it's a strategy game (that's putting it nicely - he wasn't exactly hard to read, and all but got down on his knees and begged people to believe him... but then, maybe that's being too harsh...?).

He pointed out the RPG "character growth" thing again, where you assign units skills or whatever as they "level", leading you choosing which missions to bring them to based on their strengths and weaknesses versus the task at hand.

Also mentioned some sort of "tactical view" thing, where the game will apparently slow right down and zoom right out above your head - the goal being to let you look around and plan your next move based on what's happening in the local area, or, to put it another way, "make it look like a strategy game". Will be interesting to see what that does look like, actually.

This all seems a bit worrying to me now.

From what I've read, between the initial announcement last hear and E3 this year they dropped of the radar to make it more X-COM like - y'know, so it has more to do with it's roots.

Now they're going a step further and trying to imement tactical elements.

I'm very worried about them seemingly trying to include these ideas into something that sounded like it was pretty far developed to begin with (every programmer knows it's often harder to implement large changes you hadn't originally thought about after you've started building a program).

From my limited viewpoint they're trying to make it appeal to X-COM fans of the original games whilst missing the point why they're complaining about the game - it's because they don't want an FPS! So the solution would be to make the FPS and make a tactical game afterwards rather than trying to convince those who don't want the FPS to play it (especially if there's no PC version of this game - can't remember if that's the case but most fans of the series complaining would be PC gamers and not necessarily have an XBOX I would have thought).

A FSP Xcom game will never appeal to me...

Now if they upgraded the graphics and physics of the original game..then yay boy i'll be sitting there in queue waiting to buy it..unfortunately game companies seem to think everyone wants an FSP.

No thanks.

X-Com was a good/solid turn based and real time tactical/strategic game...oops whats that i see..oh sorry your game sucks.

Ooh what's that XCom sucks because no one bought it as a FSP..No it sucks because you turned it into a FSP.

Just rememeber that.

God hopefully Firivax doe's a good job with the series because you didn't.

An FSP :P Get real.