Alien Probes

Kntajus

Hi all,

After having Interceptor sit in its box in the corner for 3 years or so, I've finally installed it and started to play. I'm confused already though, and I'm hoping that someone here can help!

I've sent a fleet out to attack an alien probe, only when I fly the mission, the probe constantly shows as 0.00km away, immediately behind me in the sensors. What am I doing wrong? :)

I've only just started playing the game so I haven't got much experience, but what I can tell you is I've flown a few sorties where it's alien ships rather than a probe and I've had no problems at all. My wingmen mop up the ships before I've fired a shot and I hyperspace back to base :)

I've surfed the web to see if I could find an answer and all I could find was a couple of other people with the same problem: (GameTalk Forum) but no solution anywhere!

I've installed the 1.2 patch if that makes any difference.

Actually, it happened in the interceptor demo too, on a win 95 machine. Instead, I get a ship that's always behind me at a distance of 65,535 kilometres.

It probably went out of the map's bounds (-ve coordinates?) and the game just doesn't know how to handle the problem.

XP might just be compounding the problem if it uses a different bit size for its unsigned short integers. Of course, I wouldn't know. I'm stuck with old technology.

While I have not had the pleasure of playing the retail version of the game, I would still recommend that you frequently save just before entering a mission if it is possible to do so. This way if this bug occurs again, you can always redo the mission.

- NKF

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I have indeed been trying to play it on WinXP so this could well be the problem - I'll try the save/reload option first, and if I still get the same problem consistently then I'll dust off my old P200MMX with Win98 on it to play it :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure it's possible to solve it for WinXP - it was after all released in 1998, long before Win2k, let alone XP... I can confirm that I've not had any problems at all since starting to play on Win98 though, so if you're able to set up a dual boot system or similar then I suggest that's the best way to go for you.

• 1 month later...

well,u cant fix the problem with normal probes but those data jammers can be delt with.

steps to fix it:

1.change ur gamesettings congif file from read only to non-read only by right clicking and going to properties,then unmark the read only check mark.

2.now,open the file with note pad or what ever and find the following:

[intelJammerProbe]

Side=ALIEN_EXCLUSIVE

ProdTime=1

Cost=1

Size=1

EnergyCost=1

RechargeRate=1

HitPoints=100

RepairRate=1

Penalty=1

Range=1

Materials=1

SellPrice=500000

TechRequired=-1

TechRequired2=-1

TechItem=69

and delete that and tity it up and bingo,no data jammers.

worked for me on XP

• 1 month later...

You can wait for them to expire. :)

If it's a jammer probe, try the delete. I can't remember if the aliens have other probes... But yeah, just try the delete thing. If you get another probe, it might be informative for you to test it out and come back and let us know...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ah, I have the same problem. I thought it was something to do with the probe jamming the lock on thing and it was just a matter of waiting for the right research download to appear.

I'd rather not have to interfere with the games coding but if I have to do this to be able to play then I suppose it's the only thing to do.