Nobody speak about Interceptor ?

umbriel

Hello all,

I am a fan of Wing Commander Serie and I bought Xcom Interceptor a long time ago...

The game is not too bad, except the fact i cant shoot any alien (they r too fast).. I m a killer on other space combat game but in Intercoptor i m a looser"...

Somebody else here bought the game ??? Enjoy it ???

Umbriel

*shrugs*

i actually use that style too (albeit with the joystick)... i tend to take the mk2 ship and kit it out with gatling lasers or tracer cannons, and phase cannons. (you gotta love how those things cut through shields :devil: ).

While my experience with Interceptor is limited to the demo, you might want to try learning how to fight while flying backwards. I found it much easier to shoot at the enemies when they were chasing you rather than the other way around. They don't weave about so much when they're pursuing you.

Almost like turning yourself into a rear-gunner.

In the demo, I personally liked the heavy laser since I had a hard time hitting the enemy. Sound crazy? Yep. See, when I did hit them, I wanted to hit them hard. Had a bugger of a time waiting for the alien ships to get into the laser's firing range.

Like everyone else suggests, a joystick helps. Having fine control of the aiming reticule is well worth getting an analog joystick. Even a cheap two button one does wonders.

(Speaking of input devices, I still remember how mouse support was included in Interceptor. Freaky. :) )

I had (and still have) this odd tendancy to roll onto the side and then pull up in order to turn around rather than use the left and right turn keys. In fact, I didn't even have the left and right movement keys bound. Don't know why, but I just found it to be a lot easier to get into dog fights with the ridiculously fast UFOs this way.

But I guess you can blame this on playing too much Strike Commander prior to the interceptor demo. I still continue to play this way in Descent and Terminal Velocity whenever I can. Oddly enough, it works.

- NKF

p.s.: bear in mind, this is only my opinion. It may not apply to everyone else.

Fun though it sounds, it isn't a technique I'd suggest for anything more than the demo NKF! :)

The only fun bit of Interceptor is learning to fight in the air. The game is so repetetive that if you don't get good at the dogfighting then your wingmen will have everyone else dead before you even figure our they're all behind you!

I really like the ingame music... like in the menu's and stuff...

I'm pro autolocking weapons, using a joystick. Later on you'll get the engines that will allow you to move upwards/downwards left/right directly (horizontally and vertically), but I never made use of that... don't know why exactly, but it was rather inconvenient

- [Wormfist]

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have just spent all morning tring to hit anything ! :)

I eventually gave up and attempted to get the game to run with MOSLO

That eventually did the trick ! :sly:

Now all I have to do is try and figure out how to get a LAN game to work.

:)

lan game should be fairly simple...

however if you mean an internet game do this:

1) find out your ip address

2) find you opponent and tell them said address

3) host a game:

a) in configuration set protocol to tcp/ip

B) in config set the ip address to your address

4) finish setting up the game, and wait.

IMPORTANT: do not minimise interceptor. if you do it stops hosting until its full screen again.

to join:

1) get the ip

2) set protocol to tcp/ip

3) input the hosts ip address

4) join

Well - I have no set time yet. Maybe we could start a poll to see when folk can play ?

I have also found that MSN messenger claims to be able to start the game, but I have a feeling that MoSlo would not be used in that method.

• 4 months later...

Yeah I agree. The combat simulator really could be more specific! I mean sure it's nice to duke it out for fun, but the combat simulator is supposed to be for practice too and not just for fun. :)

Does any of you know if it's possible to mod that part so that you can make it more specific (that you can choose how many and what kind of enemy ships, what your wingmen are, what tech level are you at, ect....)