Reconstruction

Space Voyager

Number 3 is an entirely different matter, however. I can already imagine your enjoyment at having to mess with that lovingly finished wooden ceiling boarding. :(

Meh, the wooden boarding doesn't take any of my sleep, it is the glass wool insulation directly above it. The 30 years old insulation of the "old school", the ones that itches like hell! Messing with it has proven to be a real pain in the... nah, not THAT bad as I can attest of late, :( but damn annoying.

But, most of all, leaving a woman without TV is a serious felony in most countries and, perhaps most relevantly, could prove hazardous to your health/sanity, so you better get on it pronto! :(

True, true!!! Luckily I was able to get a 14 days free internet trial for her favourite channel, he he he! That made her a bit less furious, far from happy though.

It's looking nice, and you're doing your best with tight floorspace constraints. Fridges opening to the left, etc do they even exist? That would essentially be a left-handed fridge, so I suppose they probably do, somewhere, but they cost a lot more and they're hard to find? I've never seen one, anyway.

Especially like that 'stepped' wall cupboard, never seen a design like that before (expressly for sloped rooves?), quality. The light through the skylight, bright colours? Very nice.

I did a similar thing with ceramics and a kitchen set up, but mine was an even bigger mistake. I ca't see many picking fault with that, although maybe just the one important one will have something to say.

The 30 years old insulation of the "old school", the ones that itches like hell!

Oh, that stuff, doesn't it contain glass or something? It's certainly abrasive enough, and the fibres are murder to wash off, never mind get out of clothes. Last tangle with that left me a T-shirt down. One-nil to insulation. So far.

And now I'm too lazy to install the television cable through the attic and my GF is not all that happy. Also the lack of TV does not have the promised effect when it is you who is responsible. So I'll just have to kick myself and do it.

Now, children, can you spot the MASSIVE mistake here? Yes, indeed. Rectify ASAP, SV.

I know it's not a huge airy living space with thousands of square feet, but it certainly looks like a nice place to live with the family, mate. Congratulations. That's what I'd call a home.

It's looking nice, and you're doing your best with tight floorspace constraints. Fridges opening to the left, etc do they even exist? That would essentially be a left-handed fridge, so I suppose they probably do, somewhere, but they cost a lot more and they're hard to find? I've never seen one, anyway.

Normally they are reversible. Just flip the hinge hardware and handles around to the other side and it should work.

• 3 weeks later...

During the weekend the felony, aka MASSIVE mistake, was finally removed. There is a cable going through the attic to the TV, it it plugged through the back of the wardrobe. I've removed the doors so the lower part serves as shelves as you can see in the previous update. This was (IMO) a solution that threw away least available space... Anyway, lately every change takes me like three times as long as they did when I was focused to finish the place to the level of being able to move completely. Especially when it means digging through the horror called glass wool.

I'm down to minor additions, than it is Nadja's turn to free a room that currently serves as a big landfill, so that I can turn it into a children's room. No updates until then, folks.

Normally they are reversible. Just flip the hinge hardware and handles around to the other side and it should work.

/mind blown

Yup -on ours we just had to take some small caps off, flip the doors and put the caps over the holes where the hinges were.

Fortunately our kitchen isn't built to any sort of spec so we're blessed with masses of space and the doors handily open up onto a patch of bare wall rather than the middle of the kitchen like they originally used to.

@SV - I can see why the minor things take longer. That's like me with finishing off painting ANY room I start because I hate having to do the fiddly bits where the wall meets the ceiling (and I don't like putting that coving stuff up - doesn't look good in our old house since the walls, floors and ceilings are all at odd angles!). The rest of painting a room can be quite satisfying when you're doing large areas with a roller, but I've no patience for the finishing touches.

I'm better at the more technical aspects though - I'll take a good long time to get a curtain rail perfectly spaced and level, and I've put up four monitors on a wall in work at various intervals over the last 18 months and they're all perfectly spaced and level too. I think that is down to the fun of the power tools though :(

• 5 months later...

Yep, it is that time of the year again, it is warm enough to work and sweat. Dammit.

During the winter I was forced to add one more thing on my "to do" list. One that was really unnerving. The air conditioning (air-air heat pump) outer unit, placed on the attic to make it more efficient at heating in the winter, wasn't placed well enough. The expert doing the installation said it was great, but that was after like three hours of pretty exhausting hole drilling and hauling the unit to the attic. Where we both sweated like pigs. So you know, everybody was very quickly content, just to get the fuck away. So much for experts.

The outer unit (OU) was placed just a bit lower than it should have been. What a difference a centimetre makes when it comes to water flow... This winter was extremely foggy and a lot of ice formed on the OU. When the OU senses too much ice, it triggers the melting process. Which is normally very good.

Me and Nadja were sitting in the living room, enjoying the evening after having put children to bed, when suddenly a litre or two of water splashes through the hole in the ceiling where cable and pipes connect OU and inner unit.

Refusing to have my evening spoiled utterly, I go for "this is a once in a lifetime freak event" explanation, clean the damn water and hope it does not repeat this winter. Goddamn fog proved my explanation wrong (not that I didn't know it) the next day, when we were not around to clean it up in the same minute, so parquet started to show signs swelling. Well, no more excuses, I hauled my arse to the attic. It was quickly obvious that water has frozen in the outgoing pipe, so I clean it up somehow and try to lift the OU a bit, hoping for the best.

After the water rushed in for the third time I cursed a whole lot and went for one last attempt to remedy the situation in the attic. I spent quite some time in breaking my back (the OU weights like 50kg and one has trouble even kneeling in the attic) and trying to stuff additional spacing material under OU. I finally gave up, shut down air conditioning and we used central heating for the rest of the winter.

This is how I left it in the middle of the winter:

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Prej1.jpg

It is not very unlike the "expert's" work, though I did add the styrodur spacer and some additional unbalancing in that desperate action.

Detail. Cable and pipes go into the hole through which the water broke into the apartment.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Prej2.jpg

A month ago Andrej and me sat down to destroy some liver and hopefully find a solution to the problem. It was obvious that the OU would have to be placed on some kind of platform that can be lifted and levelled. A lot UNLIKE the expert's work. We went through five to six different designs and liver started to show signs of... thinking. ;)

Finally we had a breakthrough and we came up with a very simple design, the kind where you go "why didn't we think of that earlier?!".

Result:

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Nosilec.jpg

Probably it is not very clear how this construct would be used, so I'll add some additional pics. I wouldn't otherwise. Yes.

OU is lifted by the only means possible in the available space. Belts.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Dvig.jpg

We clean all the crap from under the OU and get to assembly under inhumane conditions (some drama here).

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Sestavljanje.jpg

Finally, my mind is at peace.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Potem1.jpg

Lower sledge is placed over two joists (I had to look this one up), and the upper platform is levelled by simply turning the nuts on all four threaded rods (this one, too).

Detail (rods up-close):

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Potem2.jpg

Another (sledge fastened into the joist):

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Potem3.jpg

What needs to be done to settle this is buy batteries for the remote control and test air conditioning.

Proper thinking marvels them livers be doing! tongue.png

Very nice job, SV. You shouldn't have to break your back again up there anytime soon by the looks of it.

Fifty kilos is a lot of weight. You should be fine, as long as those steel supports don't give/bend over time...

::

Heck, even just imagining all that work makes one thirsty! grin.gif

when suddenly a litre or two of water splashes through the hole in the ceiling

Had this happen to me with a faulty water tank. My shrug and "It's a mystery best left unsolved." was greeted with a frosty silence by the gf.

now I wish I'd been taking pictures when I've been helping a friend redo his house...

suffice to say that we're 90% sure whomever orginally built the s.o.b. had no clue what plumb/level/straight/etc meant. >.>

now I wish I'd been taking pictures when I've been helping a friend redo his house...

suffice to say that we're 90% sure whomever orginally built the s.o.b. had no clue what plumb/level/straight/etc meant. >.>

I have this same problem with my garage. It's way out of square on the inside walls and the wiring is horrible. I'm pretty sure the 2 guys that built it were drunk when they did it.

I have no level floors or walls upstairs, but our house is about 110 years old so that comes with the age of the building more than anything else.

The dodgy wiring jobs, bad plastering and poor building work that's been done to it later on is down to cowboy builders and it's expensive to rectify.

I think we all learn these things the hard way ;)

My assistence with his house has basically been helping him sheetrock/prep-for-sheetrock/lay the flooring. This wouldn't be too bad, except there are 0(read that, ZERO) horizontal(joists, is that the term?) beams in the walls of this house at the ceiling/floor levels.

Which means we had to go in, measure, and cut all 'new' beams so we would have something to hang the sheetrock from; but since the studs were about as plumb as a willow tree, we had to measure top and bottom.

Nevermind the fact that the studs were unevenly spaced, so measure/cutting the sheetrock itself was a bit of a headache(42 1/3" on one side, 42 4/5" on the other side of the same sheet; etc.)

Still, only got three-ish rooms done...

• 4 months later...

Ah crap, I have postponed for as long as I could. It is time to get dirty again.

First, the boards for the ceiling. When the weather is nice, there is room aplenty.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Nice1.jpg

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Nice2.jpg

When the weather is bad, things get a little cramped.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Bad.jpg

An hour before finishing I learned that I did not need to apply lacquer all around the boards, the side facing the room would be quite enough.

So basically I threw like five hours away, along with the extra lacquer. Live and learn.

You can never have too much protection. tongue.png

And, besides, it's easy to get enthusiastic with a little grape juice flowing on-site, right? wink.png

I'd hurry up if I were you, though. Things almost never go exactly as one plans in construction work and you have an important gaming commitment that absolutely cannot be postponed in your very near future! grin.gif

An hour before finishing I learned that I did not need to apply lacquer all around the boards, the side facing the room would be quite enough.

So basically I threw like five hours away, along with the extra lacquer. Live and learn.

Only paint what you will see. Hehe. It's still a nice idea to hit the cut end of the boards with lacquer so that they don't absorb too much moisture and expand and warp in the future. wink.png

Nice job SV. smile.png

- Zombie

I mentioned next week off to my boss and he didn't freak out, so I'll probably start with work. I'm a bit scared really, there's a ton of work. And I'm still in debt for the kitchen roof window, I need to have that box done (it still looks the same it did in November pics). I'll try to squeeze it in now, as I'll borrow Andrej's saw - and later on the temperatures may fall below the optimum for pur foam, which I need to inject in a few places in the attic and around the window.

(...) I'm a bit scared really, there's a ton of work. (...)

Consider yourself lucky. Looks like you'll have no problem staying occupied prior to XCOM's release, whilst others cruelly agonize over the wait. tongue.png

Like all great voyages, start simply with the first step. Or, in your case, plank. So, leg it! wink.png

• 2 weeks later...