Reconstruction

Space Voyager

I have the patience of a saint... and then some. wink.png Strong arm tactics probably wouldn't have got me very far with resolving the issue (I watched the super and how he interacted the first year or so and noticed you would attract more bees with honey than vinegar). I treated him with respect and kindness (something my roomie knew nothing about), and at least got him to come over and do some work. Other tenants were not so lucky. tongue.png

So, see-through public bathrooms, eh? I mean, why even have walls then? It would be humiliating enough to be seen going on the toilet, what's a little weather going to do? grin.gif

- Zombie

Wouldn't the average US citizen made a law suit ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No plan survives contact with the enemy. Painting the walls went superb, until...

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Ahcrap_zpsca64faf4.jpg

...the paint and levelling from a chunk'o'wall fell off. New paint must have made it wet enough to let go and I went from "I'm done" to "Is this crap really necessary" in a second. Mind you, I think the wall was damaged due to previous window above it. It was obvious that the water trickled inside at every rain, so this must be the consequence.

Anyway, applying emulsion for wall hardening, then levelling, sandpapering, and painting again.

Then it took me more than a month to move the bed. If the woman does not apply pressure, work will just not get done.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Za%20net/Thenewbedroom_zpsb15e6417.jpg

Might this be a sign you're losing your touch?

I notice a severe lack of finger occlusion in this imagery. Given the right perspective no imperfection would have been noticeable in the wall's paint job. wink.png

Denying Evidence - not unlocked.

On the other hand, the fact you've managed to delay moving the bed this long scores you significant points for resilience, SV.

::

New achievement unlocked: Smooth Operator. grin.gif

The bedroom is in the first floor, as is our whole apartment. This is the only window where a child could actually fall to the ground, so it has a child lock added to it. It is not a problem any more though, as the window can't be opened to the extent where anyone could slip through. It is opened to the inside. A compromise we had to deal with to get a bedroom.

• 2 months later...

As you may remember from July update, I still had a roof window to work on. Lovingly called "emergency escape hatch" by FullAuto (may he take a second from training and post more), it was ugly. Joists on both sides and styrodur mock-up on both upper and lower end to prevent insulation from falling into the kitchen and hot air from drifting out.

So after several months of this situation it was time to do something about it. A while back, when I still thought I have some money on the side, I purchased a simple mitre/table saw combination, so that I don't need to borrow it from Andrej all the time. Well, perhaps "every time" would be more appropriate than all the time.

It is not a professional tool, but it has a hugely cool feature of adjustable table hight, allowing me to adjust the depth of the cut.

To recap - this was what the lower edge looked like:

The upper edge looked a lot like the lower one until I filled the remaing space with pur foam.

Excess foam was cut to get a plane between the window edge and ceiling.

The boards, remaining from the ceiling when the window was installed and stored in the cellar until now, were cut into appropriate lengths. Three variations were needed to prevent the remaining crannies to be bigger than what the finishing edge can hide. Each board had to be thinned on upper edge to fit into the "railing" in the window sides. And painted with the ceiling paint, naturally.

Then the assembly started.

Which quickly revealed that both beams were slightly inclined to the inner side. This made their upper edge peer over the vertical plane I tried to create with the boards on the sides... So practically each damn board had to be additionally thinned.

Here (and the initial thinning to fit into the railings) the adjustable table on the saw came really handy. Such a use would probably be highly discouraged by anyone in the right mind, as I was driving the boards over the saw with my hands. Anything else would demand a huge amount of time or more non-present equipment.

Anyway. With all the extra work, I finally closed that box.

I additionally filled some small crannies with acrylic silicone (it can be painted over) and painted them.

• 7 months later...