Extacting/modding dialog help

Karstedt

Does anyone remember how to extract and modify dialog files? The detailed instructions appear to have only been on the old Nival forum. When I try to extract, I get an error:

"[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides."

The only info I've found in old posts is people having trouble when the ODBC driver is not correctly labeled "Excel Files". That is not my problem. Is it looking for an existing file somewhere that I have to make?

Does anyone remember how to extract and modify dialog files? The detailed instructions appear to have only been on the old Nival forum. When I try to extract, I get an error:

"[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides."

The only info I've found in old posts is people having trouble when the ODBC driver is not correctly labeled "Excel Files". That is not my problem. Is it looking for an existing file somewhere that I have to make?

If you need help importing dialogs into the game, here is a short summary:

1. xls. dialog files have several columns (empty, A through K). First empty one for row numbering, A for "Who", B for "Phrase", C for "IntonationDescription, D for "Action", E for "Old Who". A and B are the only ones used. "Who" column will need to have a Dialog Person Code corresponding to an already existing or created by you person in DialogPers tab. "Phrase" is what the player will see them say on the screen when in dialog mode

2. There needs to be a user data source named Excel Files in the ODBC data source (XP). Vista and Win 7 might have it under a different name though and potentially be a source of errors

3. The xls. file to be imported needs to be placed into the "Source" folder (make sure the path is correct in Dialogs tab before attempting to import)

4. The editor usually needs to be restarted after importing a dialog. After that you can correct the spelling and specify facial expressions (latter is done in the Ackinfo tab)

I am afraid I can't help you with extracting, perhaps someone else will have some useful pointers :P .

Blunter

Upon closer examination, I think that my attempts to "extract" existing dialog may have been misguided by the "Export" option in the editor on the the dialog tab. I found the table that looks to have all of the dialog information, so there is no need for me to export it.

BlunterII: Those instructions for importing are much better and more concise than the earlier post I found where you were asking exactly how to do that though. So good info. Thanks.

Upon closer examination, I think that my attempts to "extract" existing dialog may have been misguided by the "Export" option in the editor on the the dialog tab. I found the table that looks to have all of the dialog information, so there is no need for me to export it.

BlunterII: Those instructions for importing are much better and more concise than the earlier post I found where you were asking exactly how to do that though. So good info. Thanks.

You are welcome :P .

Another thing I forgot to mention is the "Strings" tab which enables you to edit any phrase or dialog line you want as long as there is a corresponding dialog entry in the "Dialog" tab (whether existing or the one you imported yourself)

As for "export" button - it does seem to confuse most users. I guess they thought "importing" into the editor was somewhat equivalent to "exporting" from the "Source" folder. I got used to it after a while though.

Anyway, happy modding!

Blunter