Suppression Fire

firebolt5

A year or two ago, I played Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod and added a lot of features such as suppression fire. If I recall, if you had your character fire at an enemy or use the spread fire mode to shoot at multiple enemies, the enemies would change their stance and lose some of their actions points the next turn. This is to represent suppression fire and the inability to fire back at the enemy while under fire. As a result, this makes the player be more encouraged to flank the enemies that are suppressing your characters and trying to save them. This makes the game slightly more realistic (if you were being shot at, I highly doubt you'd want to stick your head out and fire back).

In Silent Storm, you can have a machine gunner fire a ton of rounds at a single enemy and they would just stand still (I know, it's turned based, haha) and either fire back at you or just run towards you without any regard for their own life. The problem I see with a suppression fire system in Silent Storm, is the game would be way more difficult (imagine enemy PKs with machine guns pinning down half your squad...)

In JA2 1.13, the suppression fire makes the game challenging and the system is more complex than I thought. For example, a character can be suppressed by fire so much that they start off with 0 action points the next turn completely making them useless and characters can lose accuracy and loss of sight. You can read more about it in the following link and how it works in the game: https://ja2v113ham.wikia.com/wiki/Suppression_Fire_in_HAM

So would a suppression fire system be possible in the Silent Storm series of games? From what I've seen and read on sites and forums relating to Silent Storm, I don't think this has been talked about. I'd definitely like to read up some opinions on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible how? Obviously, with coding changes, I believe the engine could handle it. As for modding it in...

If you could work out a way to use "suppression" as a hit location, make that hit location do fractional or no damage, but have a really high instance of a critical that reduces AP temporarily, you might be able to make it work. It would probably look funny though, as the target would pelted but take no damage.

I think it's time for a new engine though. Us turn based tactical gamers have been ignored for a long time now.