171 replies to this topic

#61 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Is it just me or does the American accent on both these guys make it sound like they don't have a clue what the frig they're talking about? Uhhh... Like, yeah, it's sort of uhhh....

And apparently 'they're invading and terraforming the world in realtime' in America... Idiots!
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#62 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostThe Veteran, on 14th June 2011, 5:57pm, said:

Not really a preview though is it... Just a transcript of the demo for people who can't keep up with the pace of the video  :)
:P True, that it is. It is coverage, cool, but a needless one.

#63 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostThe Veteran, on 14th June 2011, 4:20pm, said:

Is it just me or does the American accent on both these guys make it sound like they don't have a clue what the frig they're talking about? Uhhh... Like, yeah, it's sort of uhhh....

And apparently 'they're invading and terraforming the world in realtime' in America... Idiots!

Oh, so THAT's why you don't like my point of view. 'cause I'm American? :P

Silly Brits.

#64 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Quiet ya daft yank lol Just calling a language 'American' English and changing a few of the spellings, doesn't make it yours you know! One day we're going to take it back and finally silence the lot of you :P

EDIT : Just to clarify, I don't mean the American eccent always sounds stupid (though in some states? Sheesh...) I'm simply suggesting that these two guys have particularly stupid sounding accents :)

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#65 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

View PostThe Veteran, on 15th June 2011, 9:20am, said:

Right - realtime. Is this just a fancy 2011 interpretation of a 1950's way of saying the aliens are terraforming the world right then, there, and now. Basically as they're speaking? Or as opposed to terraforming in turn based or only on weekends? 'tis a silly thing to say either way. :P

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#66 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

haha too true. I'm so angry about the 'in America only' thing that I'm not even paying attention to the otehr discepancies :P My guess is that they mean it's speed is controlled by the missions you do and do not choose to play. Not realtime...

#67 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostThe Veteran, on 15th June 2011, 12:03pm, said:

Just to clarify, I don't mean the American eccent always sounds stupid (though in some states? Sheesh...)
When comes to funny accent - fingers are mostly pointing at Rednecks :)
Also I am always wondering whats with this "You know what I mean" thing in one group of american people ?
But not to be onesided - you must admit Vet that some Brits are also using this mumbling accent too + the words that you will never learn from book - well normall book at least.

View PostThe Veteran, on 16th June 2011, 6:07am, said:

haha too true. I'm so angry about the 'in America only' thing that I'm not even paying attention to the otehr discepancies :) My guess is that they mean it's speed is controlled by the missions you do and do not choose to play. Not realtime...

What do you expect of from US developer :)

US = King of the world
Rest of the world = stone age :)

Same goes with hollywood :)  - "Hey lets make alien invasion film. Ok where will they invade? Of course the glorious US of A."

P.S. We should stop making jokes about countries :P
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#68 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

After Black Hawk Down, I'm constantly getting the impression that US writers do have a tendency to take fun things and insert Americans in as the protagonists or set the story in America. Somewhat annoying at times, but to be fair the same is true for many writers in various countries making their home country the setting for their work, or using their own countrymen as the protagonists. They know their home soil and people better and it would probably appeal to a large portion of their local audience as well. (not saying I agree it has to be this way with X-Com - as it goes against the grain of its roots)

Speaking of language, there's a certain English musical that goes "Why can't the English learn to speak English?". It's so true - though today I extend it to English-speaking countries where English is their first language. Slang and heavy accents obfuscate speech even more.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#69 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

"Slang and heavy accents obfuscate speech even more"

Ha`way and why-aye like

Nah seriously should have a newspaper headline like "ALIENS INVADE NEWCASTLE - UK"  then i could turn round and say nah thats just the local populace.  ^^

#70 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

haha you know what though I'd buy that game :P y'alreet mate why are ya's invadin us like?!

#71 Gimli

Gimli

Dances with Mutons

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Remember this guy? He still doesn't like this game. XD

#72 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

He has problems... With libido most likely. :P

#73 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Man... watching you like this really makes me depressed.
I mean seriously. The rage is something we all know and love, but when The SpoonyOne is SO affected by a game that he goes past the angry into a sort of sad trance towards the end... Don't recall any game doing that before.

It goes without saying that I agree though. This thing has no right to exist under the XCOM name. At this stage, I'm pretty sure 2K does this more or less just to rub it into the face of the nostalgic gamers for laughs.

Comment from the spooney vid    ^^

but the last paragraph hits it spot on for me

#74 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just a thought but I'm guessing all the data for this game will probably be situated in one dev studio somewhere. If we find out where maybe we can still get rid of it before it's finished? Nice electrical surge might do it but why risk a maybe. We could torch the place... Destroy everything... After making just enough prank calls to the fire service to keep the engines busy of course...

#75 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostThe Veteran, on 17th June 2011, 8:05pm, said:

Just a thought but I'm guessing all the data for this game will probably be situated in one dev studio somewhere. If we find out where maybe we can still get rid of it before it's finished? Nice electrical surge might do it but why risk a maybe. We could torch the place... Destroy everything... After making just enough prank calls to the fire service to keep the engines busy of course...

Seems like 2 places  Novato, CA   and Canberra (aus)

so yeah maybe a dual strike is needed.

#76 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

You'll need a couple extra people, as well.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#77 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Bomb Bloke? Your thoughts please?

#78 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

*mimics baby crying* :P
Posted Image

#79 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

That guy sounds like someone else I know. Whines and complains about something that may not even make it to the shelves at all. Jeez, why waste energy complaining about something when you should use that energy to make comments and try and help the people make it? It actually takes less energy to make positive comments than a negative, bitchy, complaint that won't get heard by the really important people.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#80 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Surely you understand why he's so wound up by it Sarge? Everyone here should be able to sympathise with this point of view, even if they don't share it themselves. Besides it's clear that he's somewhat of an exhibitionist by nature. After all, have you EVER watched a blog or video diary of someone being cool and collected about something? Only time I watch stuff like this is when it's OTT and funny or when it's a serious review from gamespot and the like. Both of these have valid positions and noone forces us to pay attention to either.

In this particular case, I mostly agree with the guy, though I'd never turn my musings into such an emotional display as he has. And sure he could use that energy to talk to 2k about how they could make it better but you know as well as the rest of us that it won't amount to anything. Since the first E3 demo last year there have probably been tens of thousands of very vocal disapprovals of the game and in response to this they've added hand signals and the ability to capture alien tech.

They're aware of the fact that so many people disapprove but they aren't really listening to what people want or they would have struck gold by now. What they should really do in my opinion is release this game under a different unrelated name then go on to produce the X-Com title that people really want. Something that will sell in absolutely phenomenal numbers because they will have listened to the hardcore fans and they already have so much publicity! Imagine how much more they would get if they made a u-turn and really did listen to what people want?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This could be a great game but it'll make a lousy X-Com...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users