New XCOM trailer

Gimli

Worth noting that the original games did a really good job of avoiding scripted scenarios, and it's not like such things were uncommon even back then. Even in Apocalypse, the aliens ramp up their technology because you're starting to win, not because you finished story mission X.

Lets see, terror mission each month :P, some aliens stop appearing at certain point (or they appear 1 in 100, alien movment, aliens see all after 20 turn :P

Actually, come to think of it, Aftermath is probably a good example of scripting done right. I say that because it has "one of a kind" missions throughout, but they're so few and far between that I've no idea what triggered them. I'll have to play the rest of that series some day.

Depends how you see it. I think that biomass appears even when you don't go to the 2 plot secret bases, bah If you are starting in asia, you'll go far later to area 51, by that time you should have know the location of alien base. How do they find out where the base is ? Also the far into the game the more deadlier aliens are, not to mention that PSI ruins late game, attacking bases and large UFOs is purely suicide.

It would be nice if this one ripped off X-COM, though.

True, but we can't do anything about it.

It looks like you can always order them to go away and sit behind one of the (scripted) cover points if they bother you.

Don't think much of their use in combat though, putting aside the perk thing. That "flank" scenario for example, where the aliens turned their shields away from the two guys to protect themselves from the single player - which turned out to be the right choice, because they came to no harm until the player got the shield pointing away from himself.

In what game sidekicks where helpfull other than being a meatshield ? (Fallout 2 excluded ;) )

In most tactical game the player is the killing machine.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, terror mission each month :P, some aliens stop appearing at certain point (or they appear 1 in 100, alien movment, aliens see all after 20 turn :P

Soldier sprites appearing at the start of each mission, day turning to night, bullets causing death... :)

A better example would be alien spawn nodes... Learn them well enough and you'll have a pretty good idea as to how safe/dangerous a given area of a map will be.

I reckon you get what I'm on about, though - scenarios! For example, in the first couple of games, the outcome of only one mission mattered - that being the last. It really didn't matter if you won/lost/drawed any of the other missions (unless you were fighting to defend your last base/dollar) - it was up to you how to do things, or even if you'd bother to do them at all.

In what game sidekicks where helpfull other than being a meatshield ? (Fallout 2 excluded ;) )

In most tactical game the player is the killing machine.

I put aside the RPG and strategy genres (both of which 2k reckons this new game falls under, so I really should dip into them, but it'd be too easy to spit out examples), so I'll admit I had to put a bit of thought into this one. Don't play many shooters.

So I decided on Conflict: Desert Storm, which may not be a valid example because it lets you switch between team members and has co-op support (something we don't have confirmed for XCOM yet). Your buddies will, in fact, kill enemies at about the same speed you do, if not faster, depending on their position/weapons.

• 3 weeks later...

I think what's most entertaining is the idea that turn-based strategy, and to a lesser extent, RTS, are no longer commercially viable genres. TBS simply isn't, at all, and RTS is on PC, but nowhere else.

So they take a license, use it, and make a game that isn't a strategy. The IGN example of Front Mission Evolved is a good one, total genre change, and the game didn't review well, and didn't sell well. So I can see the X-Com and Syndicate licenses being shelved forever if their new games don't sell.

Apart from having the coolest music in the universe, their recent offering Frozen Synapse is also one of the first 'simultaneous' turn-based games ever made. It works on both levels; it's been a hit

I think what's most entertaining is the idea that turn-based strategy, and to a lesser extent, RTS, are no longer commercially viable genres. TBS simply isn't, at all, and RTS is on PC, but nowhere else.

I can see this - Sid Meier (sp?) revamps his Civilization project - due to TBS being dumped by the market his next project will be a First Person Shooter.

Few months back - I have searched the shelves of our local megastore (similar to Amazon) - 80% of games I have found were FPS - I mean come on where is the choice - all I get is FPS, crap, FPS, crap FPS....

You know I have lately played few independed games and I wonder why are some better than mainstream projects worth gazilions of $$$ ?

As I am always saying - Consoles ruined gaming market.

Doesn't look too bad. The chap on the right reminds me some of the guards in UFO (the episode where the young handsome officer chap guy (Paul?) falls asleep in a sauna, stuff happens and later on is chased by some guards), and the chap on the left looks like he'd fit into TFTD.

Overall a little more 'b-movie anti-space-alien operative' looking than the accountant or mild mannered news reporter look we've seen.

- NKF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2K Marin's XCOM shooter has been delayed until 2013. While we liked what we saw at last year's E3, 2K has apparently decided to relaunch the franchise with the 2012 XCOM: Enemy Unknown strategy game that's being developed by Firaxis. This information comes from the issue 226 of Game Informer.

[source]

::

Yeah; so I guess we could say they still have a couple of neurons left... :)

If they're going to re-work the FPS considerably to match then I'm not convinced that they even have enough time at this point to do so.

I would think that what we've seen from XCOM:EU that they could use similar move/fire mechanics in the FPS for squad mates but that's about it, and I don't think they even need to change the system they have there to be honest.

As has been mentioned elsehwhere the FPS has a tenuous link to Apocalypse, so if the goo = Micronoids and the blocky alien dimension is the one from Apoc then it could technically all be pulled together in a third game :)