The Humans must be more powerful than we realized..

Jman4117

Fighting Machine 2nd Gen...YAY! Anti-Aircraft lorry and Mk II Armored Track-layer...BOOOOO!!! The forces in Sector 12 continue to hold, but are taking brutal losses. At one point a huge swarm of anti aircraft units enter the sector and open up on our Fighting Machines with their flak cannons and rip them to pieces before we can kill them. I don't remember the lorry version of the anti air being useful at all when I played as Human, I guess they are cheating and are mounting track-layer cannons on them or something. I wouldn't be surprised :P

In the 4th part, we invade another sector on the east coast of England. 1/3 of our forces are destroyed and most of the rest are heavily damaged, but the sector falls. 3 ironclads were also in the sector and we destroy them. After this battle. another invasion of Sector 12 commences and we fight them off using the Flying Machines as bait to draw the fire of the 3 additional naval units that show up. The last ship holds a position further out in deep water where our Fighting Machines can't walk to attack, but it is eventually goaded into coming to shore so we can use our hot photonic death on it.

Next time we will hopefully dine on the residents of Liverpool.

You have to give AI credit for being persistant. It is good to see you take some beating - keeps things interesting, though I guess you are losing the war of attrition.

Keep it up and lose that sector 12 :P

Still didn't see lvl 2 human vehciles although maybe one of the ironclads - don't know.

yep, definitely Mk II Tracklayers. I just ran into a unit of Mk IIIs playing tonight. They are longer than the other two levels and have guns that sound like proper cannons and not little pea shooters :P Luckily, we just so happen to have 2nd Gen Fighting Machines filling the ranks now to replace the 1st Gens that are getting shot up.

It all should be uploaded sometime in the afternoon. After I splice everything back into one file then break it up into under 15min. Stupid emulation crashed on me 2-3 times in the middle so there's some work to do on it.

Edit: ok, have them uploading, should probably be done around noon GMT.

The Humans really don't want us in northern England. They continuously send in waves of units trying to force us out, but our Gen 2 Fighting Machines are starting to turn the tide of attrition as they replace Gen 1s on the front lines. Our forces are massing to attack down the center and then Liverpool. Our unit of fliers go in and check, and Liverpool is a sitting duck chock full of tasty humans to be farmed for our war machine.

Lots of death and carnage on the Human side. Scouting first to find weaknesses is really helping matters. Another bite is taken out of the middle of the map as a well defended sector is taken with only 4 machines lost. On a side note, Humans die to their own barbed wire. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool has fallen to the Martian advance! We are being shipped out to human farms for slaughter to feed the alien beasts. Wave after wave of reinforcements are pouring in to replace damaged units that appear to be retreating for repairs. I don't know how much longer this transm......*A Martian heat ray incinerates the local telegraph office*

• 2 weeks later...

We build stockades outside of their great northern city. The inhabitants are captured to be slaughtered for food. The Humans try to take their seaport back in vain. Our units to the east continue to press south, toward the center of Human Civilization. The primitive animals are no match for our superior technology and strategy.

Don't worry overmuch for mankind.

The British Empire is doomed, sure, but the aliens don't seem to have attacked America yet. Don't think they'd survive if they did, for a very simple reason.

The year is 1898.

Theodore Roosevelt's military service?

Took place in 1898. Which means old Ted is at peak bloodlust.

Equally importantly, Nicola Tesla is just entering his crazy years.

Even ignoring germ warfare, humanity is likely to be saved by sheer cussed mindedness. Also, the aliens might try a land war in Russia, which is one of the classic military mistakes, and it would be very funny to watch.

The Humans buckle before the final phases of the Martian assault. (Surprisingly, they seem to actually be limited to the vehicles that can be produced on the territory that they hold. I thought that they would keep sending large waves to the very end with no real way of building them.) Wales and southern England fall with barely a whimper. No Human forces fight back and try to take back ground. The only real threat, the Navy, stays in port defending against us instead of going for broke and trying to take out our command centers in the coastal sectors. In the end, Martian scouting forces enter London. We find the Human leadership in a large structure near the city center. They will soon be dealt with.

And dealt with NOW! We move our best units into the sector just north of London and we begin our attack. The narrow streets greatly slow our advance, but eventually, we're attacking the Human headquarters and it soon falls to us. Since this is their main sector, we don't have to mop up all the surviving units like in other attacks, the track-layers and naval vessels explode all at once and we cut to the closing cinematics. The Earth has fallen. We now prepare to colonize and feast on the surviving Humans as cattle. A few decades later, a cleansing scout finds a large settlement of Humans living underground. He attempts to do something about these animals, but they appear to be rather heavily armed and let's just say he doesn't return back to base..

Or, if we were to lose...The leader of the Martians is likely killed just like his predecessor and a new attack is planned...whatever becomes of this plan is..unknown.

• 1 month later...
While in the process of going through the entire tech tree I appear to have found a bug with the exploding drones. If you attack London with them, and you get them all killed on the main command center, you defeat the humans, but you technically lose the battle. So you end up with an empty sector that you can move into and it's impossible to beat the game...And with the auto save feature, it saves with no humans on the map, but you didn't win. So I have to play through all the tech researching again, dammit! :P

I did however discover the awesomeness of the Bombarding Machine. The AI never really deploys over about 2 units of them at a time, and the player usually wins before they get around to making them in big numbers... But they appear to be way better than the corresponding Human unit, the Self Propelled Gun. I sent about 30 of them into a sector and their cannons just wiped out anything in range. Only 2 of them were lost. Definitely something to look into instead of going to higher level fighting machines.

The Tempest is feasible to use as a skirmisher. They have about the same firepower as a trio of Fighting Machines, but only a little less than half the total armor. They also take half the upkeep per unit, but they take double the time to make. It's still better to go with Fighting Machines for major battles as you spend a lot less time building the things and can take double the gun and over 4x the armor to a fight.

Other machines:

Scanning Machine - This appears to be a nice unit with very long range vision. About the same sight range as the Flying Machine. It can also see underground units apparently, but I have never seen the AI use subs and tunneling tracklayers to know if this actually works or not. I would stick to the Flying Machine and get a cheaper unit that is much faster.

Xeno Telepath - I found no use for it at all. The thing is incredibly slow and is bound to be left far behind the front line. The telepathy is intended to have effects on the Humans, but it has to be in close range for that to work. If it were fast enough to keep up with combat units, this might be useful, but it's not.

Drone - It's a really fast suicide unit. However, it costs more than a trio of Fighting Machines, and can only cross rivers on bridges, which makes it a sitting duck in the process. Only use it if you get bored and just want to crash them into large numbers of Humans.

Electric Machine - They are incredibly slow. But their guns are easily the strongest in the game. If you aren't fighting things like gun emplacements, ironclads, or self propelled guns, these might be useful. Paired up with Bombarding Machines, they are likely extremely deadly.

Constrictor - It's somewhat useful for stopping large cannons from firing. Possibly useful against ironclads if it works against them. But against large numbers of small units, it's pointless and you'd be better served by the Fighting Machine.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I've considered redoing this one with commentary and everything but I have an issue with the tracks on the disc being picked up by youtube as being actual music. If I could find something similar on incompetech or ocremix I could possibly get it to work with other tracks, or if necessary, just have a loop of mp3 files like I did with that sierra mech game.

The Youtube id content thingymajig's really ruining a lot of great stuff, from parodies to LP's.

On a side note, I really must try my hand at an LP. Looks fun. Just haven't a clue where to start with the post-editing and compression of the footage.

- NKF