S2 Map Editor

Julius_Sneezer

I'm wondering if it's even possible to use it with Vista, but the map editor definitely does work on XP. Also, a few days ago I found the blog of Blunter II, I'm pretty sure he was well known around the Silent Storm community:

https://blunterii.blogspot.com/

His latest blog posting was from January 2011, so I can assume he has been using the editor. His works are amazing, but I don't think he has released them.

Its been years since I saw Blunterll's blog. But I think the last time I heard from him he was simply interested in reskinning things.

So, yes, it does look like he managed to get the map editor working, but for some reason, he hasn't released any maps. Neither has anyone else?

If Blunderll got the Map Editor working for S2, he should seriously write a tutorial for the rest of us. Because, like, thousands, maybe millions of people have tried to get the Map editor working but have been unable to.

As for the S3, mod called Sandy Wastes, I remember, the guy making it was a game developer, he not only got the map editor working but it looks like he got the Maya plugin working, He quickly abandoned the work on it though.

I can't afford a $2000.00 software program just to make new models for Silent Storm, although I'm a fairly good modeller with Blender right now.

Too bad some Silent Storm fanatic didn't convert the Maya plugin to Blender...

Hopefully Jagged Alliance Back In Action will come with a workable map editor.

Ya, I guess your right, although I tried many times getting MSQL server running on my computer about 5 years ago and couldn't figure it out and gave up.

I just discovered this thread last night; Apparently alot of people got it work 8 years ago, but everyone abandoned their work without submitting anything.

How to build a simple map - StrategyCore Forums

Also I read this;

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems the MSQL server edition they used with the game was probably Server 2000 version 8.0 Shiloh edition.

I don't own Vista. Is there a Vista version of MSQL server? Like version 10.0 or 10.25? that would work?

How did you get it to run on Win xp before, cause I obviously must have done something wrong.

Also I wonder if another SQL software program would do the same thing?

P.S. I'm going to give it another try, I think.

I believe recent versions of the MSQL server for Vista is not compatible with the map editor. Although, since I'm currently playing Silent Storm, it might be worth a try...

Also, the way I got the map editor working for XP was go into the CD, then go to Bin/MSDE/ and then run setup.exe. You also have to go to Control Panel and then go into Programs to modify the installation of Silent Storm to install the Map Editor, if you didn't select it the first time installing the game.

O.k. I've just re-tried to install MSQL server again from the CD by running setup.exe.

A message comes up saying; Configuring and installing and a installation green bar comes up showing the progress bar. But then after it seems to install the green progress bar starts moving to the left just like its uninstalling itself.

Then when I check my computer it shows it was not installed. So my computer for some reason won't allow it to install?

You probably already did this, but maybe restart your computer? Did you try running the map editor too after you tried to install the MSQL?

Edit: Oh wow, so I'm on Vista, and I just followed my own instructions from above and ran setup.exe in the bin/MSDE folder. I got a compatibility message but I just installed it anyway. So it finished installing and then I ran the Map Editor and it's actually working....

So it finished installing and then I ran the Map Editor and it's actually working....

Drool, drool....

I've restarted my computer and it still won't install.

I've been researching on the internet, So far I've tried 5 different solutions people have posted but NONE of them worked!

I'll keep trying. One problem is I have Win xp Home which makes it difficult to change policies.

I've tried rebooting in safe mode but the message comes up;

"the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation".

and have tried 5 solutions to no avail so far.

I tried no less than 14 possible solutions, I spent about 8 hours today to no avail.

I was pretty tired and wanted to give up until tommorrow but I said lets keep looking a little bit more.

Dial-a-fix - Lunarsoft Wiki

I found this; it fixes corrupt problems that might creep in in Windows XP.

I Repaired Permissions and several other things etc etc.

Restarted my computer.

Re ran the setup.exe for MSQL server and it seemed to install all the way.

I ran Mapedit.exe and it ran!

I started the Mapediter and there is a bunch of options on the like different maps. But for some reason the main grid screen is a blank grey color? Isn't it supposed to load in a map?

Glad you got it working! As far as your question about the map, I think you have to move around the camera with the right mouse button and use the arrow keys to move about. Any other question about the editor itself, I probably can't help, I'm not a modder at all.

Ya, I had to click on something like, English settlement complete, then moving the right mouse button around viewed the scene.

Now to figure out how to use this baby. I wonder if there is a limited number of ground terrain to choose from. I havn't modded yet myself but would like to, too bad there wasn't somebody with maya, I could give him new models and he could import them for me.

I still don't know why nobody has submitted any maps in 8 years. Except one for H&S?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Julius. I believe we've conversed before

I'm glad you got the editor to work. If you have questions I might be able to help :P

I still don't know why nobody has submitted any maps in 8 years. Except one for H&S?

Well, as you already know, the editor is not very user friendly and takes a bit of time getting

used to (if one manages to get it to work at all).

From what I've seen over the years, sadly, most people give up before they even complete

a single map. Even though building interesting and unique encounters is the most energy

and time consuming activity it is only a fraction of what needs to be done to make a scenario

or add to an existing one (global and chapter map changes, scenario zones, global and chapter

map markers, global and local scripts, optional texture, material, model modifications, etc., etc.

to name just a few)

It is not surprising that we see so many people express interest in working with the editor, even

getting certain things done but in the end not completing their objectives and abandoning their

projects. Of course, life gets in the way too, LOL.

Now, if I could get someone to work together with me on a project, I'm pretty sure I could release

something within 2-4 months (perhaps, a short compaign 10-30 main missions with

10-40 randoms). I'd need some serious help though (H&S only. Although I would entertain the

possibility of working on Sentinels).

Namely:

- Main scenario plot (when, who, what to do, why, how to do it)

- Encounters (types, sizes, opposition - forces present, climate, lighting, passability restrictions).

I'd do it myself. It is the most satisfying part for me.

- scripting (LUA). I could do it myself. Unfortunately it takes me too long to write those, actually

longer than several complete maps. I am not a programmer

- Dialogs on paper first (brainstorming, dialogs in English, German (I don't speak it), other

languages, perhaps (Cyrrilic font is not supported)). Once they are ready I can import them myself

I have the necessary xls. table files

- RPG structure (quests, plot branches, quest rewards, unique upgrades, exp progression,

difficulty specifics, new weapons availability)

- Voice talents (at least for character acks, I need xls. table for acks, first though, I don't have it)

- Intermediate and final testing

I know it'd require a lot of commitment. I could start a thread and keep all the project

development updates in there.

Any thoughts?

Blunter

• 4 weeks later...
The game's DB is so vast, and IMHO poorly labeled. That, combined with the not so friendly editor and work required to actually get something in the game (with out using console commands to load things), send most people packing. It's a shame too, because with a better editing/mod system in place, I think there could have been a lot of content even though the community was never very big. If adding a random encounter map had been as easy as just making the map, we would probably have dozens more.