S2 Mod Editor for Vista?

firebolt5

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't know if it's possible to get the editor to function with a newer version of SQL. I remember trying to get it working with a version of SQL other than the MSDE included on the disc, but with no success.

UPDATE: I've got the editor up and running on Windows 7 using SQL 2005 Express SP4 (the 2008 version uses a different service name than MSSQLSERVER, which is what the editor looks for). I haven't actually done anything other than start it up the first time and it seems to have mounted the default game DB just fine.

When installing SQL 2005, just make sure you select "default instance" when that option comes up, and when it asks about administration/security (or something like that) select the "SQL Server Authentication" and specify "sa" as the login and "simple" as the password (because that's what the editor will use). If it won't let you, and forces you to choose "Windows Authentication", then you'll have to grab the 2005 Management Studio Express as well so you can connect to the DB and change the authentication mode after installing.

I'll probably dink around with it in a week or so to see if it actually "works" and update again.