X-COM The Movie ...... sorta

any old gits like me out there might remember a 1960's live action sci-fi show by Gerry Anderson called UFO .... ( I watched re-runs in the 80's - I'm not THAT old https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif ).

it tells the story of an underfunded international covert paramilitary org set up to fight a barely understood alien threat; using secret bases around the world (and one on the moon) with both air interceptions and ground forces, and backed by science teams back at their main subterranean base.

Does that general plotline sound vaguely familiar to anyone here?

If you've not seen it I recommend you look it up, it's equal parts cheesy 60's future kitch (purple wigs and silver catsuits a-go-go!), and grim gritty sci-fi drama..

but the real news is that there is a big screen remake in the pipeline.

https://www.cinemaspy.com/movie-news/offici...-goes-live-352/

Did a near marathon run through the DVD box set. Much fun - though probably won't try that again. :P It's not X-Com, but definitely recommended viewing if you're into the series (especially Enemy Unknown) .

For those going "huh, what?", try Googling or looking up the name SHADO on wikipedia, which is the name of the organization in the UFO TV series. If SHADO isn't turning anything up, try S. H. A. D. O. instead.

- NKF

Wasn't UFO a big inspiration for X-Com? The Interceptors and all that jazz make the two similar in more than one way. I've never faithfully watched it myself but of course I know of it and I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it had a heavy influence on the original X-Com...

Wasn't UFO a big inspiration for X-Com? The Interceptors and all that jazz make the two similar in more than one way.

Yup, it was one of many influences. I can't remember where I read it either, possibly when talking to one of the original team about a decade ago.

I feel old now.