218 replies to this topic

#41 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

You'll probably find them if you look, I know I use the keyring already... What I'd really love though is a Morrowind inventory mod... Just like this in fact :P I love google :)
Posted Image

EDIT : Just downloaded and installed this it's great! Fully customisable too!!! Managed to get rid of all my failed attempts at lockpicking mods by discovering the console command 'player.additem' and giving myself a skeleton key which is nice! Also disabled the keychain as clutter is now not an issue. I'm looking to replace the bag of holding with anotehr method now I don't have to worry about clutter as well. I'm thinking maybe a ring with +strength or endurance or whatever it is but that would be a cheat for superstrength I think. Looking now so we'll see what I find :)
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#42 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

You don't need repair hammers if you are in a city and close to a smith, or what have you. If memory serves, for a small fee, they will repair your stuff. But as I said, it's been a while. I'm right now playing GTA:SA, Mass Effect, Arcanum, and a couple others.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#43 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Correct, you don't "need" them... if near a town, and if you don't want the bonuses repairing stuff past 100% provides.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#44 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

What I mean, BB, is that you need the repair hammers, but if you are just selling stuff that does need to be repaired, and in a city, just take it to a shop and repair and sell it. That's what I meant. If it's something you want to keep, then, by all means repair it yourself, and get it over the 100%.

#45 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

The main problem is that it takes a lot of repairing to get the skill maxed out - the opportunities to use the hammers are more valuable then the hammers themselves, so there's no point to conserving them. Dunno if that's entirely true without OOO, but I gather it does slow skill gains a bit (My character is at about ~290 hours and primarily uses restoration spells to heal. I still haven't maxed that one out).

Some mods add equipment with massive amounts of durability - you'll repair about 1% per attempt with these, making them excellent for the purposes of gaining skill. Hentaimania is one of them, to memory. Could well be considered cheating, and is probably intentional on the part of the authors.

I think the special elven rangers added by OOO wear armour with similar properties, but they're very difficult to kill (they're located all around the west coast). The drops aren't anywhere near as useful either.

#46 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

I think making the repair skill so slow seems a bit pointless. If 290 hours isn't enough to max out restoration then it should be similarly difficult for the others. Repairing each salvaged weapon 20-30 times before selling it will get that stat up WAY too fast.

I managed to find another mod which multiplies the weight you can carry by 10 so I've now replaced the bag of holding with that. It gives me a max weight (at low level) of about 2600lbs so it'll easily do! The point of this for me personally though isn't just to speed up looting. It's also because I like to hoard and hold onto special items as you saw earlier from my morrowind stash! It makes it possible to collect many different sets of armour and entire categories of weapons (like my extensive selection of glass and Dwemer ones :P)

Anyway, to this end I started work on a very ambitious 'Munty's Stash V.2' for Oblivion. I decided I deserved something slightly more grand this time around so I'm giving it an external presence in the world rather than the mystical location I used in Morrowind. I decided there was no better place for the actual building than the imperial city and a quick glance at the overhead map showed a space to the NW of it which I decided could quite easily house a third enclosure (similar to the arcane university and prison complexes)

So I made it happen! Learning on the go as this is my first go at modding Oblivion but it's identical to Morrowind with a few minor exceptions. I had to create a new door from the imperial city Elven Gardens out to the wilderness where my 'house' was going to be and I put a bridge there like the other 2. Had to remove or relocate a bunch of rocks and trees and also lower the path slightly so the bridge was usable. Then I placed the compound itself and realised it was on top of a bandit camp and cave... Bah... I added a little to the coast and moved the whole camp out towards the water a bit then built up a plateau to put my city on. All that's left now is the interior for which I plan to clone the jail and then alter from there. I can't for the life of me get 'duplicate cell' to work for some reason though and Oblivion uses seperate 'worldspaces' for internal/external spaces like courtyards which confuse things greatly. I have a plan though... I think I can use the jail 'worldspace' and then build up my courtyard area on the arcane university spot. It'll just have the minimap a bit messed up :s

Here it is anyway. Anyone who can explain to me why I can't texture properly please do so! I want to paint the steep sides of my new plateau but when you change from one cell to the next it alters the texture that is laid down, even though you haven't changed the one you're using... Wierd... So for now it'll have to stay greeen and rubbish.
Posted Image

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#47 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

Vet, try asking over on the TES Nexus forums. They maybe able to help you out. Or someone else here. I'm not a modder. I do have good ideas, but I'm not a modder.

#48 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Had a playtest yesterday and after fixing a few things this is now a fully working mod, yay me :P Had to fix both ends of the bridge for cleaner connections and the floor level inside the wall was too low so I've raised that (actually I lowered everything else to make it simpler!) I'm working on the interior now but as it's rather large it'll take a fair bit of planning. I have to detail inside the central tower which has a top and bottom floor, there are also 2 underground rooms which come off the tower which will need dealing with as well. After that I need to place all my magical doors which will lead to the main gate of each city and any other points of interest (please name any you guys can think of!) I have to fill the courtyard up a bit too so lots to work on before it's ready for stashing my loot in. It looks fine externally now though, just need to work on the plateau and it's textures!

#49 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Mod creation isn't my thing either, but it sounds like you've got it sorted.  :)  Can't even think of any doors worth linking to, the fast travel system covers pretty much everything... Perhaps to a fence's apartment, or the imperial city market district?

Re fancy armour, there's a dude in the middle of the imperial city with some pretty cool stuff, a chancellor or something. When you enter the big building thingy you'll see some guarded doors, to memory you can get the key off the guards - either that, or climb the stairs, leading to a hole in the roof leading back down into the large locked room (good luck with the fall damage involved though  :P ).

Inside is a massive table with seats all around. A dude sits at one all days twiddling his thumbs and wearing a robe; in his pockets he carries a near full-set of unique imperial plate (black and blue in colour).

If you've got the patience to take it all off him you can fence it to remove the "stolen" flag. Do so one bit at a time, buying back each part as you go, and you'll rack up so much credit with the thieve's guild that you probably won't have to do anymore "freelance" thieving to clear their questline.

The helmet for the suit is located in the chancellor's bedroom, which is only accessible once in the game (during the final thieve's guild quest). The leader of the mage's guild has a black and red suit of identical design, though he actually wears his (you'll need to take it as he sleeps, during which time he wears normal clothes).

There are also other unique sets, such as blue or red glass armor. The unique glass stuff is spread all across the world (random dungeons mostly), and there's only one of each part (so it's not easy to complete the collection). At least some parts of these are also hidden in areas you can only access once, such as a special room you get into at the end of the dark brotherhood questline.

I suspect you might be able to get duplicates of some of these items through the "Slavers and Smugglers" questline, though I wouldn't know. I accidentally ended up killing everyone involved.

The daedric quest from Molag Bal asks you to tick off a paladin and get him to attack you. When you find the guy, you'll discover an alternate questline to discover his unique armour set, which is also spread across the land (though this time you get dungeon names at least). Get it all and you'll also collect his sword, which is to date the best "all-around" weapon I've encountered. This makes you fail the daedric quest, but all you miss out on is the (rubbish) mace you'd otherwise be awarded (you can still get the award for completing "all" daedric quests).

The reason I mention this last set is that the armour can be found at any time, but you can't actually pick it up until you start the quest - attempting to do so will throw a "you fail!" message at you, but not explain why.

#50 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

Cheers BB, the instant travel does make the magic doors partially pointless but implementing them will still provide instant travel (rather than quick) so I'm going to at least have those 8 doors so I can warp instantaneously from any of the major cities to any other.

As for mutually exclusive quest lines I actually completed all three 'House' quests in Morrowind on a single playthrough. All I had to do was alter the pre-requisites in the construction set. The character who initiates you into each house checks to make sure your membership in the other houses is set to '0' so I just changed it to '1' which resulted in a kind of 'you must be a member of house x to join house y' scenario :P

There were also a few occasions on which I happened to accidentally kill people with unique weapons but not loot them (or loot and sell them) plus the museum items which you can turn in so as to get them displayed. In all these cases I simply created another reference to the same item, loaded, collected it, saved it, then disabled the ESP that added it in the first place :) The in-game reference of te new item persists as it was written to the new save file but there will never be any more made as the creation is deleted!

I know a lot of these tweaks are essentially cheats but I like 100% completion (as much as possible) and I won't replay Morrowind or Oblivion a second time so why not? :)

#51 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

Skyrim fan interview!

#52 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

BB's abridged interview!

1) Will the character be able to change into certain creature?
Todd: Maybe. We're thinking very hard about it. Honest.

2) What sorts of cosmetic options, like beards, tattoos, or body proportions, are available? Can we edit them later in the game?
Matt: Ever played those wrestlemania games? Yeah, we're doing that.

3) Is armor handled like in Oblivion (with each body part being welded together) or in Morrowind (with each body part separate)? Will you be able to wear both clothes and armor at the same time?
Matt: We're dumbing it down even more - chest pieces are now also welded to leggings!

4) Are the main and faction quests branching or linear? What about side quests?
Bruce: The main quest is linear, some of the side quests have some branching.

5) Are loot and quest rewards level scaled, like in Oblivion? Will there be any powerful un-scaled items?
Bruce: It's the same as Oblivion, but we're trying to be subtle about it this time. Bandits in daedric was silly. Or was it? Hmm...

6) Will items present in Morrowind but not in Oblivion, such as spears, medium armor, and mark/recall spells, be making a return?
Todd: No, no, and no.

The spears are too much work, we already said we're dumbing down the armour system some more, and the teleportation/flying spells made it too easy to break our quest scripting.

7) Will we be able to have relationships with the NPCs, romantic or otherwise?
Bruce: Yep, traveling companions and families are in!

8) Are there any new armor/weapon materials unique to Skyrim?
Matt: Yep - dragons!

9) Can we have some specifics about the PC version of the game? How will it's UI be different? Will there be a 64-bit executable?
Todd: You'll need a faster machine to run it, as the detail's going up (more so on PC then console). No 64bit enhancements.

10) How will enchanting work in Skyrim? Will we have to constantly refill our enchantments with soul gems like we did in Oblivion, or will it be more like Morrowind in which the weapons recovered after a certain resting period?
Bruce: We're keeping the Oblivion method of recharging (that is to say, if you want to use enchanted weapons, train your conjuration up and go do Azura's quest... again).

Enchanting is a skill again, so good luck making uber gear out of that (we fixed the potion system long ago!). You can't use spell effects you know in your enchantments anymore - you have to break up gear your find to learn enchanting effects.

11) What are the differences between the races? I guess they'll have different skill bonuses, but will they also start with different perks or have different "hard-coded" attributes, such as different running speeds or maximum encumbrance, etc.?
Todd: It's the same as Oblivion, but race no longer effects the maximum speed of a character.

12) Is there any game content (story, quests) that might be locked for a character based on race/faction/politics allegiances/morality/choices? Or one can experience all the content in one single play?
Todd: Your choices may lock you out of certain side quests.

13) To what extent will our racial / gender selection at the start of the game will affecting our gameplay? Are there relationships affected by these choices?
Bruce: It's the same as in Oblivion, but gender should no longer affect anything except disposition with certain characters.

14) Do you plan to include non lethal ways of defeating opponents??
Todd: Only in scripted scenarios, but you can always just paralyse them and run away...

15) Will boss fights involve interesting mechanics involved as opposed to just more health and hits harder?
Todd: The AI is improved a bit, but one NPC will be much the same as another - depending on what gear they have to work with. You've probably already seen the dragons, though, so this is a silly question...

16) Do companions have skill and perk trees we can train?
Bruce: No.

17) Is the culture in Skyrim strictly Nordic, or are there places (like Cheydinhal in Cyrodiil) that show influence from other cultures nearby, like architecture, religion, etc?
Matt: We let the other races into the game. Does that count?

18) So, the dragons are big and powerful. Did you include some destructible environment so they could leave marks and scars everywhere they attack? Can they demolish buildings, break trees, start avalanches, burn houses, things like this that emphasize their power?
Todd: They'll cosmetically scratch up the terrain dynamically, but the actual destruction is all - or very nearly all - scripted.

19) Will there be any difference between the animation sets of male and female as well as human-like and 'beast' characters?
Matt: Yep.

20) Will any sort of karma system be incorporated like there was in Fallout, or will it be the Fame/Infamy system of Oblivion?
Bruce: It's the same as in Oblivion, but we took away the statistic in your journal.

21) Will crafting (weapons, armor) be effected by the tools you use as well as the ingredients used in the crafting? Such as the hammers and clippers, mastery level of the weapons and your level? Basically, will I be able to produce a more powerful, or even unique, weapon if I use a master hammer or clipper as opposed to novice?
Bruce: It's all skill based.

22) Will your character have a voice? So that you can hear yourself having a conversation with other people?
Todd: No, it's the same as in Oblivion - combat yells etc only. (Seriously, that would multiply the total dialog we'd need to record by like 10 or something. Don't be silly!)

23) Obviously every character is "Dragonborn", but not every character will be playing the same way. The question is: Will dragon shouts support all types of characters? Are there long ranged shouts? Some kind of stealthy "shout"?
Todd: Yes, you can hide better by screaming your lungs out.

24) 24) Are there going to be places where you can use nature to your advantage? Like make a trap out of a fallen tree or climb a tree to stealth attack an enemy?
Todd: You can hide behind rocks - assuming they haven't seen you already - does that count?

25) Will you be able to carry on after the main story?
Todd: Yes, absolutely.

#53 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Now why didn't I think of THAT?!  :P

#54 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Because your inner cynic doesn't scream as loudly at you as mine does at me.

#55 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

So... now Bethesda is suing Mojang (the MineCraft guys) as they intend to make a game called "Scrolls".

Because obviously everyone calls Morrowind, Oblivion, etc "Scrolls" for short. Right?  :D

This sort of thing makes a company's image shift from "bumbling but brilliant" to "corporate arseholes".  :P

#56 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

I gathered from Notch's twitter that there were lots of people starting to suggest that people cancel their Skyrim preorders in protest. Almost wanted that to keep going. Oh well.

ALSO LINKY:

http://notch.tumblr....-the-full-story

#57 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Oh what bollocks... Trademarks have gone beyond what is sane, even to trademarking parts of DNA IIRC.

I sincerely hope Bethseda comes to its senses and drops the whole thing, also changes its lawyers for being assholes. If this is a lawyer construct to begin with.

#58 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

GameSpot's description of Gamescom's demo.

#59 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image

Damn that music is loud.

#60 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!