TES V: Skyrim

• 2 weeks later...

https://d3k4oepyyga8o4.cloudfront.net/images/stories/products/ESKDBX/vertical_18.jpg

::

Looking cool is all this super-duper-exclusive-figurine does. All day long apparently...

Find out the details at Bethesda's blog. And peer deeply into your wallet before visiting Gaming Heads' store to place your pre-order.

• 1 month later...

This mod for a warmer Skyrim can be found here.

It all looks nice but then you have to choose:

A) Do I want super looking game

B) Do I want good performance.

Combining both options you would need high end CPU overclocked to the max (4.5GHz) and SLi/Tri-Way SLi or Crossfire using current Entry HIGH end GPU like GF 660GT or AMD equivalent. The performance hit is big. It is nice to see people doing this crazy shit.

Looks like you're in luck, silencer. :)

Don't know why - I've already bought all the DLC's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't even call most of those secrets - but maybe I've just played too much Skyrim. I did every quest I could find a long time ago... and now here I am half way through another play through.

Certainly I'm gonna call the arrow thing an exploit. And considering how many arrows I pick up around the world anyway (they're weightless), one not worth the time to pursue.

Anyway, when I last posted in this thread I don't think I'd actually started playing yet. Now that I have, I guess I can say that although some of the dumbed down aspects of the game were a bit of a disappointment (I still go back and romp around Tamriel in Oblivion sometimes because of spell crafting and speed enchantments), overall it's the most enjoyable game in the series. I could ramble on and on about why, but it's easier to sum up what I don't like. Takes less time, which is unusual for me.

Bethesda never sorted out the most annoying of the bugs, those being the ones which cause the game to crash. They're infuriating because you get no indication why it's crashing - sure it's got a debug log, but you've got about a 1% chance of anything related to the crash going in there. All you know is that traveling near certain areas makes the game fall over, and the fixes tend to make no sense - I solved one reproducible crash just by enabling logging, and another by turning it off again. One good general fix for a lot of issues seems to be to make absolutely certain you've got vsync enabled.

I'm rather glad I only started playing after the final patch release, as most of the ones they put out there seemed to do more harm than good. Dragons flying backwards and so on. Fun times. Apparently the final patch broke facial expressions, which explains why NPCs sometimes look like the wind changed at the wrong moment...

Of course, a Bethesda game generally isn't worth playing unless you're playing it modded. SkyUI is pretty much essential, especially since a bunch of other mods outright require it. I've not actually played the game without it, but since I can't find anything about the interface to complain about, I imagine it does a really good job at whatever it is that it does.

When I played Oblivion, I started out by installing an overhaul mod to make the game harder, along with a bag of holding mod to make it less tedious. I didn't pick up an overhaul for Skyrim on the basis that the guy who wrote the one I used for the previous game got to work on the next in the series directly, and indeed it usually feels quite well balanced as it is. I did, however, go with a bag of holding mod again and I'd recommend anyone who's already played an RPG sometime through out their life do the same. I've already played the "let's leave half the loot in the dungeon behind" and "let's make multiple trips to town" games before and discovered there's absolutely no prize for winning, and so I'm willing to wave a wand to skip them.

A point of contention among players seems to be whether or not NPCs should be killable. Morrowind left them all mortal, which worked well there. Oblivion made everyone even half way important immortal, which annoyed a lot of people. Skyrim compromised - few characters can't be killed, and some can only be killed by you. However, then Dawnguard came along, and now high level vampires routinely wander into towns where low-level unarmed NPCs suddenly decide they're supermen and attack in suicide waves. No More Redshirts allows you to quickly turn NPC immortality off and on, hence making sure that the quest-givers to the world only die off if you specifically wish them to. On the topic of small utility mods, I also use Magic Under Control (or something like it, anyway) to stop NPCs complaining about the undead wandering around with me.

One great aspect of the game is that upgrading equipment via the crafting system allows you to send your armour rating way, way past the cap - even while wearing lowly fur. This means that you eventually reach the point where you can wear whatever you like the look of without feeling the slightest bit of guilt about forgoing stat bonuses. Craft Your Gear lets you take that a step further, by allowing you to craft most quest rewards (after you've already "earned" them) and hence giving you the opportunity to hand-pick their enchants. You can also make invisible versions of most helmets, allowing you to get their stat boosts while still showing off your ugly mug.

Finally, Interesting NPCs is an absolutely huge mod, something like 2gb worth of NPCs with unique voiced dialogue and associated quests. You can hardly wander anywhere without running into these guys, and they're all quite honestly interesting in some way or another. Quite a few offer to be followers who you can bring with you in addition to the vanilla ones, and - if you hang out with them long enough - open up further quest chains. This is the sort of mod which justifies a second playthrough of Skyrim if you didn't catch it the first time around.

"More Salt Please" - lol. Certainly my initial reaction was to laugh, as I don't use the cooking system at all and don't see any point to it. Maybe if I tried it I'd discover that point. Dunno.

What I do use is the alchemy system (it being one of the three skills leading to ultimate power), and guess what one of the most common alchemy ingredients in the vanilla game is? Yup, salt. You find a pile in every few sacks and barrels and I'm a kleptomaniac.

Since you mention it, I've also got The Dance of Death on my list somewhere, though I've never been entirely sure whether it works as advertised. The set of kill moves still feels limited, but that might have more to do with how minimal the original set is. Or something. Anyway, it's always amusing when the camera goes into slow motion to follow your "finishing move" arrow fly through the air towards your target... and miss.

There's a mod out there somewhere that lets you remove limbs (as opposed to just heads). I should try that sometime, as blowing bodies apart in FallOut New Vegas was hilarious (especially since I was using melee weapons to do it).

I remembered there was one other thing about Skyrim which bugged me: The morality aspects of it. There's no related game mechanics, it's just that you've got a mix of quests where you're either a good guy, a bad guy, or a general adventurer, whatever. But for the most part, the quests stick to whatever theme they've been assigned.

For example: You find a haunted house, and a dude outside asks your help to clear it out. You go in an a daedric (god type thing) creature convinces your associate that he either kills you or dies; you therefore have to slaughter him to proceed. Self-defense, ok, whatever.

Then the deadra sends you off to drag some old man back to him so he can be murdered to. If you're even half way motivated towards playing a "good" character, you'll have some qualms about this - but the game rail-roads the story. When you find the old man you can outright tell him what's going on, but he'll still run off to face the daedra (because he's an idiot).

Returning to the house yourself shreds any last hope of a "good" outcome, as going in there locks all the doors until you beat the old man to death yourself. He can't fight back, it's simply the case that you've got to play this quest the "evil" way, and you've no choice in the matter.

Speaking of which - the conversation system. Sometimes you're asked questions and given choices as to your response. These boil down to a "straight man" answer, a "playing along with it" answer, or a "crazy person" answer. Which option you choose affects the NPC's next line of dialogue and that's it (assuming you even get THAT much of a difference). In the above quest, you can verbally refuse to play along with any of it and it doesn't change a thing - the only way to complete it is the evil one.

And having played all the quests, I sorta get the feeling that the majority of quests lean towards "evil" or at least "self-serving". What's worse is that you start to discover things about the inhabitants of Skyrim, and many of them are really nasty pieces of work themselves.

For example, half the population of (the rather major city of) Markath consists of cannibals who capture and eat innocent people. Obviously there's a quest which involves having dinner with them, in which you bring along the next meal.

Then there's the whole "war" situation - speak to enough people about it, and it soon becomes clear that the two sides consist of the Imperials (who obey the whims of the Spanish Inquisi- er, the high elves), and Ulfric's mob (a racist who's style is to see as many lives lost as need be to get victory, even if the other side is willing to negotiate or outright give him what he wants). It takes a large measure of satisfaction out of helping either side in that their vices are taken just a bit too far (and it doesn't help that you're the fricken' DragonBorn, you should be able to play as a third side and take 'em all on!).

Anyway, yes, maybe I've played a bit much Skyrim.

Although cooking can be omitted due to potions, there are few dishes that are pretty good. I think venison stew is pretty good one, But that is about it. 10 HP and stamina per second for a minute or two is pretty neat during hard battle.

The dance of death allows you to increase the chance of kill cam and I think enables moves with the current skill of a weapon. It's cosmetic thing and doesn't add anything new.

The deadra are well evil and doing quests for them well will include some dirty things to do. There are maybe 2 or 3 that actually are good sided, but yeah.

"You want this Axe? Well kill my dog". "You want this Ebony armour? Sacrifice your companion." (side not PC Master Race can use console and type "Resurrect" and nothing bad happened :P)

Some of them are funny. The drinking competition for example.

Meh, the axe quest's a bad example. The axe was the booby-prize - the real reward was only handed out if you got them to kiss and make up. ;)

The haunted house quest didn't give you any warning what you were in for until you were trapped and killing people. :(

• 3 weeks later...