"Tentaculat Trap"

Yeah, there's this one room in the second stage of the artefact sites - it's got a central elevator which leads up to the "double-ring" device. And, on the second level are little alcoves, each of them potentially holding a tentaculat. So, of course, what happend the first time I saw one of these rooms, I didn't think twice about sending in a pair of guys through one entrance -

"Hey, look, a tentaculat", the dudes shoot it down. I click end turn, and then the next turn, I see a pair of those guys come out of little alcoves and zombie my guys.

Over the years, I haven't had any particular luck with those rooms in any case, and I usually wind up losing one or two guys going in there. So, I was curious what people do to beat the "Tentaculat Trap"...

Go slow and come into the black chamber from all directions so that the aquanauts on the opposite side will be able to deal with the tentaculats that are immediately above and behind whichever team that bursts through the other end.

If possible, after killing a few aliens, clear out of there. If you leave some soldier kneeling with 100% of their TUs back in the corridors leading to the black chamber, they can be used as your contingency plan in case the tentaculats decide to chase after you.

Dye grenades help sometimes, but they can be a double edged sword and cause you no end of stress because you never know what's going to be behind that ink cloud.

Once you get disrupter pulse launchers, go wild. Just blast them to kingdom come before you even set foot in the chamber. :)

- NKF

If I'm feeling lazy, I don't even bother trying to gain access to the room to destroy the device. When I have a clear shot into the large room below the device, I... kinda cheat. With a PWT, enter coordinates that will aim the PWT projectile underneath the approximate area of the synomium deivce, then angle the PWT upwards into to floor. Let it fly and wha-la, head back to the access points. Of course, then you don't get to reap the benefits of captured tech, but it makes for a quick mission.

I perform much the same operation on the alien bases. Once you find the device thigny, guarded by loby men, you just have to sink a missile into that little hole in the top. Bang.

Heck, you can even just drop a grenade down that hole. Terrible security.

To beat the trap I cordon off all the entrances to that room (taking care of not being seen), then I post the highest reaction guys standing by while I use the tank as bait. Usually worked for me altough sometimes I may lose the tank sometimes...

If the impregnation attack fails, it still counts as a melee attack, in which case you'll suffer physical damage (or to be more precise, if the attack is able to breach the unit's armour level). If their attack beats the unit's armour class, everything other than X-Com controlled humanoids (full control, not mind control) and civilian controlled humanoids will die instantly without leaving a zombie.

- NKF

If you apply a lot of force onto a small area, I wouldn't be surprised that a little beak, no matter how weak the body it's attached to looks (giant squid for example - though I wouldn't call them weak), could bite through a layer of aqua plastics. The lobstermen can do that in addition to just bashing you and harming you in your own armour (knights in armour, for example, were also harmed by their own armour when they were bashed about with blunt instruments). The tentaculats don't need to bite through too much of a large area. They just need to bite through enough in order to impregnate their target.

Or heck, let's face it, all your aquanauts, no matter what armour they are in, wear fishbowls for helmets. On land, they don't even wear their helmets.

- NKF

hrm...i dunno...the random damage modifier really comes into play. my aquanauts manage to live through and die at the hands of all aliens. they can sometimes get hit by biodrones, lobbies and even heavy sonics in their aquaplastic armour without a a scratch, and sometimes, all the biodrone needs to do it hit/shoot onece, and the guy dies. same with lobbies, sometimes, they hit continually duering the turn, and nothing happens, sometimes the guy gets hurt.

• 1 month later...

If you really want to rid yourself of those pesky aliens then I suggest that you read my new book:

"Fun with Grenades"

Everything you ever wanted to know about tactical and dishonourable use of proximity and extra high powered grenades as well as "why using remote controlled missles/torpedoes to demolish the place systematically helps" :D

:grey::grey::grey::grey:

:argh:

:):):):)

When i was doing the artifact sites, i looked in the alcoves and found no aliens at all. The room was totally empty. All of the tentaclauts were outside the elevator in the alcoves that surround it in the corners. Impossible to not lose guys, or have them turned into zombies...