Running with Pineapples

NKF

Geoscape Segment

To start off I head to the labs and initiate some new projects that we will be needing in the days to come. Of particular note is the Plasma Rifle/Clip combo to pave way for the Plasma Beam to keep the Interceptors up-to-date. Note, I only started it. We have other more immediate priorities - plus no scientists.

Over to stores and money is made. It's amazing how there's always a buyer out there for the alien junk. Managed to scrape together $5mil.

Next couriered the plasma pistols and alien grenades over to Orchard. Fireworks is sent our token Small Launcher and 3 stun bombs.

I then start some minor alterations to Fort Cannon and Orchard. Fort Cannon gets a new general stores chokepoint that will be ready in 10 days, while Orchard is upgraded with a Large Radar.

geoscape_000.png

Watchpost-1 is established in Brazil - it's an ultra cheap small radar listening outpost.

5 new soldiers are hired to bring the total number of troops at Fort Cannon to 20.

As soon as Orchard's new Hangar and Living quarters are ready the second hangar is installed. I decide the first craft to be housed in Orchard will be a new Interceptor to give us better cover over Europe and North Africa. Two Avalanche launchers and 30 rounds of ammo are ordered. 10 soldiers and a handful of grenades are purchased to garrison this base.

Fireworks doesn't have troops yet, but I order 10 rocket launchers and a selection of small and (mainly) large rockets to last a few missions.

That's enough spending I think, so I cease expansion and let time take its course.

A couple of days later the 50 scientists arrive, but they aren't given time to rest or freshen up - they're set to work immediately on the UFO Power Source.

The 5 new troops at Fort Cannon arrive, including a recently 'revived' Norton Krumpet. Still a coward by the look of things, but he's not going to let that complicate matters.

A good portion of the troops on Skyranger-2 are rearranged so that the new soldiers can have a go. Personal armour is assigned to those at the back and enough weapons are placed on the Skyranger to keep everyone happy.

A few days later Orchard's interceptor arrives along with the base garrison. Interceptor-5 is rearmed with the Avalanche launchers.

Fort Cannon's new living quarters are up and running as well. I'm very tempted to hire some extra engineers to add to the workforce, but I'm conscious of the budget, so perhaps that's something to consider after a couple more UFO recoveries. Actually it's the 20th of the month and I'm just finding an excuse to stall hiring them too early.

geoscape_001.png

The next day Fireworks spots a bogey to the North and sends Interceptor-4 after it. The UFO flies into the heart of Russia (or, well, juver above the title 'Russia') when Interceptor-4 is within combat range. The first volley hits, the second misses and the UFO (a Large Scout) suddenly decides to flee. The last volley of Avalanche missiles chase after the fleeing UFO and manage to narrowly hit it mere moments before it could cross the maximum range mark. It goes down.

geoscape_002.png

Since it's mid-day over the crash site and Skyranger-2 is a third of the globe away, it's ordered to a way point near the UFO to wait for a dawn assault. Moments later I realise I launched Interceptor-3 instead of the Skyranger-2. Doh.

This isn't a costly mistake since Skyranger-2 arrives at the waypoint just hours before dawn. It stays in a holding pattern until it's time to land.

Meanwhile production of personal armour is completed. The remaining suits are couriered to the Skyranger via a supersonic jet and the cargo is transferred in mid-flight. All troops are outfitted and the Skyranger changes course for the crash site.

Fort Cannon's workshops start building 8 Laser pistols to be sent to Orchard's garrison.

Battlescape Segment

Equipment is reassigned, I seem to have two more cannons than soldiers.

Turn 1

tactical_000.png

At the start of the turn a target is spotted, but it can wait. Everyone does a quick equipment check and while some are slightly encumbered, it's not serious. The guys at the back of the Skyranger look out the windows on both sides of the ship. There are woods to the west and there's a clear field to the east with a couple of dead tree trunks. We've landd in the south-eastern corner of the map.

On looking to the north we see the Large Scout and it's in the worst possible location for us to stage a siege on it, it's flush against the eastern edge of the map.

Now onto that enemy target mentioned earlier...

tactical_001.png

'tis a floater. Norton skips his chance to prime his smoke grenade and instead points his Heavy Cannon at the floater and attempts to fire over the tank.

There's an explosion in the Skyranger. Norton hit the tank.

On assessing the damage from the high explosive round, no one is hurt. The bad news however is that the spare (mostly AP) ammo, two auto cannons and the stun rods will need to be replaced.

Sarah Blake primes her smoke grenade and does an awkward toss out the back of the Skyranger that ends up rolling off to the right of the ramp. It was meant to go between the ramp and the floater.

Turn ends

The smoke grenade detonates and the floater attacks the tank. Norton reacts to this and hits the tank again.

Turn 2

The tank's only been scratched by the plasma pistol round, but Norton's badly timed reaction shot has left him as well as Sarah with critical wounds. I think I really should have had him lose that smoke grenade the first time, it's throwing his aim way off.

tactical_002.png

The tank hits the floater but it survives. The tank drives down the right side of the ramp.

tactical_003.png

Norton fires on the floater and while it's a direct hit, the floater survives. He goes down the ramp to make room for those behind him. To hurt his pride even more, Norton spots a floater on descending the ramp but he can't do anything about it.

Sarah fires two HE rounds from her heavy cannon at the floater by the UFO. The first shot flies wide and misses, but the second round hits and kills it.

tactical_004.png

Stefan Richter (who seems to have taken a 1 hitpoint loss) does a three round burst on the other floater but doesn't manage to hit it, he runs to the other side of the ramp. Boris Belov goes down and attacks and misses, he also jumps off the other side of the ramp.

With three guys running almost completely out of time units in plain view of this floater with no response from it, I'm thinking it's exhausted.

tactical_006.png

This time Uta Richter takes charge - and rather than aiming at the floater like her two companions, she aims at the ground in front of the floater. The first shot sails past, but after the dust from the next two rounds clears, there's only a Heavy Plasma left on the ground.

Turn 3

tactical_007.png

The end of the last turn was short, but so is Sarah's health. With no less than 4 turns left, and nothing much to lose, she heads down the ramp goes out to scout ahead. She doesn't have to travel too far before the next floater is found on a hill behind the woods.

Uta, still on the ramp, kneels and empties 6 rounds into the floater but no joy. Everything around it is hit, but nothing came close to touching it. Autocannons are clearly not that suitable for long range combat in the hands of rookies. Norton kneels and takes an aimed shot (for a change) and his luck turns and he manages to stun the floater.

Stefan and Richter head towards the UFO to cover the path to the door. The tank meanwhile drives under the Skyranger and enters the woods.

Turn ends.

The floater Norton attacked gets back up and wobbles away from its weapon.

Turn 4

tactical_008.png

The tank is sent to the foot of the hill to relocate the floater. Norton aims and hits the trees on the hill behind the floater. Uta fires three snaps at the floater and the one shot that does seem to hit doesn't take the floater down. Sarah fires two snaps and just hits the trees.

tactical_009.png

Stefan Ulbricht walks down the ramp and does a standing autoshot with HE rounds and takes the floater down. I don't think there was a scream this time either.

Scott Taylor descends the ramp to assist Stefan and Richter by the UFO.

Turn 5

tactical_010.png

The tank rides up the hill and spot a floater on the far side of the hill. No one from the Skyranger is going to be able to hit it. From the look of it, the Floater is armed with a small launcher.

The tank confirms that it's a small launcher the moment it reaches the apex of the hill and a stun bomb flies past it. It looks around to see if there are any other hostiles and then starts making its way straight towards this floater, the trees obstruct its progress a little so it has to take a more round-about route.

tactical_011.png

Norton, Stefan (Ulbricht), Uta and Sarah start fanning out and make their way towards the north-western hill. Olga Korkia and Robert Davies join in behind them to add to their firepower.

Turn ends.

The tank is hit by a small bomb and a door is heard opening inside the UFO.

Sarah falls unconscious - it's over for this lass.

Turn 6

tactical_012.png

The tank takes decisive action on the floater.

The soldiers continue their progress through the hills.

tactical_013.png

Scott Taylor, having fed AP rounds into his auto cannon, gets close to the UFO door while his two comrades keep an eye on it. He's going to run across to the other side on the next turn.

Turn ends

The inevitable happens and Sarah dies from her wounds.

Turn 7 ~ 11

tactical_014.png

The gang behind the UFO continue advancing and can now see the belt of trees that line the northern edge of the map. The tank goes to catch up but is severely hampered by the terrain.

Scott does a sprint past the door and reaches the other side. Stefan moves in to replace Scott and also starts switching his auto cannon to AP rounds. Boris stays where he is.

tactical_015.png

With the survey of the north eastern corner complete with no hostiles found, the team in the hills start a jog through the tree belt to join Scott. This is a hasty jog as Norton is anxious to clear the remaining aliens in the UFO - his time and health is rapidly running out. The team's just arriving in the above shot.

Turn 12

tactical_016.png tactical_017.png

Stefan, Boris and Scott having lined up in front of the UFO doors the turn before, begin the assault on the UFO. Stefan goes in first. He sees two floaters and they're not at all interested in him. Stefan partly wishes he had kept his HE rounds. He points his auto cannon at the nearest floater and turns it into swiss cheese. He steps out of the way for Boris.

Boris still has HE shells loaded into his Heavy Cannon. He kneels and fires two rounds at the floater by the navigation console. The first round hits the console, clipping but not killing the floater. The second round is direct and the floater doesn't survive.

Stefan has just enough time units to get back outside the door. Scott switches back to HE rounds.

Turn ends, a door is opened inside.

Turn 13

tactical_019.png

Stefan opens the door and is surprised by a floater that was standing behind the door. Luckily the floater appears to be just as surprised and both sides are momentarily stunned. Not wanting to be on the hurty-end of the floater's heavy plasma for too long, Stefan feeds the Floater with all the AP bullets it can eat. Scott then steps inside the UFO to have a quick peek around. That was the last floater.

Mission ends.

geoscape_003.png

A shaky start but overall a fair outcome. Would've been better if we had a medikit or two though.

Uta Richter and Olga Korkia are promoted to Sergeants.

For the next commander:

GAME_1.zip

Note, some equipment was lost at the start of the battle, so be sure to check the Skyranger when it gets back to make sure it has everything you need.

- NKF

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Expecting lots of things to do and time to do them i prepare for my turn. However i was quickly shown i dont get what i want all of the time :).

First things first i sent intercepter-4 to japan to see if he could locate the source of the spike in activity and sure enough there is an alien base to the north of japan. Checked the skyranger (refuelling) and loaded it with 10 men (3HC with 1 AP and 1 HE load each, and 7AC with the same reloads some smoke nades) and the tank.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_000-3.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_001-3.png

Not long after Rome sent out an alert, seems some aliens had been spotted terrorizing the populace, i panic and flail, as we have had snakeys im expecting the metal freaks of doom at this point :(

Also the ranger still isnt refuelled, so i wait 4 hours hoping it doesnt disappear then i target it with the intercepter from fort cannon - about halfway there the base is checked and thankfully the ranger is refuelled and ready to go. On the plus side this means i will be landing in rome in full daylight :)

So yeah not a lot off anything but the japanese patrol done on my turn.. now on to the TERROR site ><

Tactical Part

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_002-3.png

Turn - 1 Landed in Rome, first look reveals nothing directly out of the rear of the craft and also the north edge of the map, I send the tank down the ramp and it is destroyed by plasma (tankbuster club here i come :(). Uta deploys to the left of the ramp to see where the plasma came from, she spots 2 Floaters (Yay no metal freaks of doom), 1 of the floaters is facing away and the other is looking directly at her (i assumed this is the one that destroyed the tank). She fires 2 snaps and the 2nd takes the floater out. Smoke is thrown out to provide her with cover from the other floater and Stefan deploys to the right of the ramp and locates the eastern edge of the map and a warehouse to the south. (ALIENS TURN - floater moves but doesnt fire)

Turn - 2 Uta steps forward to get sights on that other floater and fires a snap that takes it in the back and kills it, Stefan and Jean are sent south to the warehouse and other troops start unloading from the ranger. (ALIENS TURN - Civilian is killed near the warehouse door, shots came from the east)

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_005-3.png

Turn - 3 Stefan moves towards the civilians corpse to locate the shooter, he spots it near a house across the road, Olga has a LOF on it and unloads 2 bursts of auto fire at it (the 4th shot out of 6 connects and takes it out). Gunter steps towards the edge of the smoke slightly north -west of the ramp and spots a floater that seems to have moved towards the skyranger, New kid Patrick O'Cake exits the craft and takes a kneel - he squeezes off a burst from his AC and the first round kills the reaper, the following 2 rounds destroy parts of someones wall. Gunter then takes another step forwards and spots yet another floater. No back up is available so he takes a step back out of its sight range and takes a kneel, he has a 51% snap shot available so he tries his luck and the shot takes the floater right between the eyes (HC-AP). (ALIEN TURN - Floater spotted moving near the corpse of the floater that olga killed)

Turn - 4 Stefan moves to locate the floater seen in aliens turn, sights it and kills it with an AC snap shot then takes a kneel with tu`s remaining. Grigory moves north towards what looks to be a shopping complex and spots a floater doing a bit of window shopping, Gunter has LOF on it and has either a 77% aimed or 3x51% snaps from his HC-AP to choose from - i decide to go with the latter option and the 3rd of the snaps connects and takes the floater down. Everyone is now deployed from the ranger (ALIEN TURN - Yet another alien spotted near the house where stefan killed the last one - he misses it with reaction fire but it doesnt return any fire back)

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_006-2.png

Turn - 5 Stefan moves to get a visual on the floater and spots it - he takes a step back and kneels to squeeze off a burst of armour piercing death but only connects with 1 of the 3 and it fails to kill the floater. Olga moves into position behind stefan to fire over th top of his head and gets off 2 snap shots (the first one hits but the floater is still standing ><)

Uta lobs a smoke grenade in between the floater and the 2 unlucky troopers to give them cover because they have left themselves a bit exposed. Jean at the south end of the warehouse rounds the corner and spots a floater with its back turned he puts a snap shot into its back and kills it - he takes a kneel. Grigory, Gunter and Nikolai prepare to run across the road to assault the garage (thought it was a shopping complex at first :(). (ALIENS TURN - An alien steps out of the warehouse door and guns down poor jean.)

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_007-2.png

Turn - 6 Olga enters the warehouse to get at jeans killer and gets off a burst which misses, she then tries to duck back out of the door/shutter and is shot in the back leaving her with 8 health and 1 fatal wound. Stefan also tries a burst at the same alien and also misses but is abloe to duck back out of the warehouse without any reaction. (ALIENS TURN - Gennadi is fired upon in the warehouse to th south of the other warehouse but all the shots miss him but make a hole in the warehouse wall.)

Turn - 7 Gennadi turns and spots 2 floaters throught the new hole in the wall (one of them tried to bump him off last turn and he isnt a happy chppy :)), Gunter has a 77%aimed HC shot from the north hit one of the floaters in the chest but it survives. Newboy pat fires a burst of AP at the same floater and takes it out of the fight, has another burst at the 2nd floater and kills that one too (multi kills are awesome). Olga has 7 turns to live so she charges back into the warehouse to get at the floater that condemened her to a slow death, luckily it is facing away and she unloads a burst that kills it and gets some sort of revenge.

Back down to gennadi whose 2 floaters have been dispatched by the irish prowess of Mr o'cake - gennadi moves towards the hole in the wall and spots another floater just to the north of the corpses. Back -up is called in, Yuri fires a burst at it but all the shots go astray, however Grigory Torbin from the northern edge of the map fires an aimed HC shell and smashes the floater (was a good 30+ squares away, truely great shot). (ALIENS TURN - hidden movement only and not very long either)

Turn - 8 Gennadi looks out of his hole in the wall again and spots another floater to the north near the smoke grenade cloud (i think it was the one i wounded earlier), Pat hits it with an aimed AC shot but it still doesnt go down, Gunter and his 77% kneeling aimed HC-AP shot brings it down though (was his last shot - gets ready to switch to HE). Nikolai and grigory enter the gas station....

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_002-1.png

But that was essentially that, an 8 turn terror mission with very heavy civilian casualties and a couple of losses on the good guys side means it wasnt the best score. but im very happy with some of the troops performances (notably gunter and his accurate shots and even newboy pat) Also Olga is one very lucky girl only one fatal wound from a shot in the back from a heavy plasma and an ealry ending mission saved her skin.

Very enjoyable though :( Save for the next commander - GAME_1.zip

Not much happened in the geoscape front. Ordered several more soldiers, assigned the ten lowest ranking troopers to the 'Ranger (would've assigned a full load but that would leave no base defenders at all - got a fair few wounded), and started research projects for all sellable samples. Didn't actually sell anything though.

Power source research completed, and work started on Elerium.

A small UFO appeared, flying towards whatever we called the second base. Shot down with the first missile salvo, and I forgot to check what type it was...

Snakemen! This guy in front of the dropship (with a stun bomb launcher) had about half my squad open fire on him right away (as each unit ran out of TUs they'd kneel, allowing the soldier behind then LOF). Unfortunately they were averaging about 10-20% accuracy with auto-shots (I could nearly get it up to 50% using aimed shots with the first guys, who could kneel before firing), so mostly I just wasted ammo.

It fired a reaction shot, which achieved nothing.

ufomulti_bbturn05_01.png

During the alien turn, its buddy appeared and fired a plasma shot into the 'Ranger, killing some trooper I never caught the name of. Another stun bomb also went in, putting three further squad members on the ground.

More shots were fired, resulting in many more misses. Nikolai got the killing shot of the launcher alien from deep (four tiles) in the dropship. He had to move a couple of tiles forward and use a scout, but he also managed to snipe the plasma-wielding buddy. I decided he was a man to keep my eye on, and elected him to start the serious recon.

This involved reloading his gun with HE, as he'd emptied his AP clip.

He spotted another alien close to the NW, standing next to a large scout. He fired a few shots off and connected with one - unfortunely, it wasn't a killing blow. Other soldiers stepped out to assist but also failed to achieve anything, so used their remaining TUs to get back into the craft. I'd gotten carried away and so Nikolai didn't have time to make a similar maneuver, and hence was left in the open.

The alien used its turn to step back a tile or two, allowing snipers to polish it off on the turn following.

ufomulti_bbturn05_02.png

Alien turns were going by in a snap and I could hear doors working in the UFO, so I spread my soldiers out near the door in case there was a straggler left outside and prepared to enter. Nikolai went in first, naturally.

ufomulti_bbturn05_03.png

He quoted me a 14% accuracy figure on an auto-shot, which is about the range where you'd expect to see soldiers turning on the spot in order to make their misfires. I told him to take it anyway.

All three HE shells hit the alien dead on, the third downing it. Another corpse mysteriously appeared beside it - there must've been two of the blighters bunched in together!

I told him to run out of the craft before ending turn, but I needn't have bothered.

ufomulti_bbturn05_04.pngufomulti_bbturn05_05.pngufomulti_bbturn05_06.png

The live alien turned out to be a navigator.

GAME_1.rar

I began my part with standard stuff. Sold some stuff - excesive corpses, small luncher, plasma rifles etc.

Hired more soldiers, more engineers (7/30). Added Hangar, Large Radar and Stores in Watchtower when small one was built.

Research of Elerium was done, started ufo navigation.

Geoscope action - nothing interesting - one supply ship near the orchard base - couldn't intercept it with 1 interceptor (maybe if we hand plasma beams). Didn't try to capture it, wouldn't catch it either - vanished after 2hours - too fast for ranger.

Later a small ufo appeared over Syberia so Fireworks interceptor was lunched, soon the ufo landed somewhere in northern Russia, so I preped the ranger and lunched it. When over the atlantic another small ufo appeared near Fort Canon, and was shot down north of Mexico City (Large Scout). Flying over europe the first ufo took off but was imidietly intercepted and shot down (large scout). Nearing touch down end of month report came - we did pretty good.

post-7842-1302628083_thumb.png

The Ranger landed everyone loaded HE ammo and the battle with aliens begun. We started at north eastern corner just outside the ufo entry doors. I have deployed smoked granade at the end of ramp and proceeded to exit plane on Turn 2.

Plenty of door opening. Team gathered at the doors - plenty of smoke coming from ufo, no hole in the roof. Klaus enters and spots floater. His position was screwed so I fired a snap shot at it hitting wall. The alien retaliated and killed klaus. Rest of the team lined up to get a shot at it, but the alien refused to die from the HE blasts.

post-7842-1302628473_thumb.png

Next turn Grigoriy enters ufo, and spots 3 aliens, his position is also dire. He fires barrage at the farthest to the right alien killing two aliens close to him and retreates. Next Shuji lines up, kneels his first burst lands on the outer wall of ufo. Luckly Personal Armor saves him from the blast. Next burst kills the third alien.

post-7842-1302628642_thumb.png post-7842-1302628662_thumb.png post-7842-1302628672_thumb.png

No end yet so there are aliens outside. Two barns are visible on the map. One on the south east corner, other in the south west corner. The team parts, some guarding the ufo hoping that maybe there is one at the far end of ufo, but the smoke prevents from spotting in.

Few turns later on the south western barn some alien shoots at Uta, but missing, so I order men to destroy the barn with HE shots and Stefan few bursts later kills it.

post-7842-1302628888_thumb.png

More aliens to kill. Scouting south eastern barn Shuji spots floater on the first floor showing his back so he kills it with nice placed HE shot.

post-7842-1302628946_thumb.png

post-7842-1302628957_thumb.png

GAME_1.rar

Nothing much of interest to report for my turn as I'm obviously going to clean up that other scout that was downed in Silencer's instalment. The Ranger flies back from Russia and proceeds to refuel for the next 12 hours but miraculously the crashsite is still there at 1am so the boys head out in the dark. A part of me was hoping I wouldn't be able to make it so I could go on a day mission with a more interesting ship but I can't stand leaving UFOs that I know I'm able to recover.

So here goes... This is the first time I've played a mission without my avatar in a while as he's injured for another 7 days :) I slap another rookie in as filler and arm everyone with HE rounds. A few troopers are given flares but the point is only able to toss it to the bottom of the ramp and it's giving off less light that a total eclipse so I wonder why we bothered...

A check from the cockpit shows the UFO is directly south of us and we're surrounded by buildings, already 2 pairs of sheds and one larger building are visible in the west.

Mission5_01.jpg

Scott Taylor and the jelly armed flare-tosser Shuji Tanikawa, descend the ramp and take cover by the landing gear. In the alien turn Shuji is hit soundly and we spot our first enemy emerging from a nearby shed (though it's not possible for this one to be the shooter) It seems we're facing snakemen, fair enough. Shuji is remarkably unscathed from his close encounter with not even a scratch on his shiny blue armour.

Feeling ripe for revenge (and realising that the location of a window means that this alien could be his attacker after all, Shuji demolishes the shed with some HE cannon rounds but even with backup from Scott they manage to leave the Snakeman standing amidst a field of rubble.

Mission5_02.jpg

Not wanting to leave her fellow Commies to an unpleasant fate, Uta leaves the Ranger to bring a third heavy cannon to the fray. A good snap shot narrowly misses Shuji and blows the alien to pieces, staining the floor an unpleasant greeny colour...

Shuji, saved from one attacker, is again attacked from the North and this time feels the full effect of the assault. It seems our first guess at there being 2 aliens nearby was correct and a shot from the dark northwest kills him... Uta is also assaulted but this time it's from a small launcher, indicating 2 more foes in the LZ.

Robert Smith is my avatar's spaceholder for this mission and he takes it upon himself to relocate the flare over to the origin of the plasma fire but all it finds is an open shed door with no alien visible. Gunter brings his autocannon out of the Ranger and takes a kneel on the ramp while Uta moves into smoke and does the same. Scott meanwhile makes for the UFO to secure the troops rear and Grigoriy brings anotehr autocannon to support him.

In the alien turn, a whole host of things explode but the only confirmed kill is our flare which is lost forever... The explosion that destroyed it came from Uta or Gunter but I can't seem to account for the sheer number of explosions in the dark from my soldiers alone so who knows... I have Gunter fire off an autoshot at the small shed but although all 3 shots hit we still don't have a confirmed kill...

Stefan emerges from the ranger with a few more flares but has no time to throw any. Meanwhile Scott and Grigoriy move alongside the UFO and Uta remains in cover for another enemy turn. She soon regrets it when a plasma burst disintegrates her front armour but she takes no damage and lives to fight another turn.

Stefan now manages to place a flare just where it's needed but again there is no sign of alien activity. The shed has been demolished but the smoke is too thick to see through. Uta decides to move West in cover and flank the position while Gunter and Robert retire to the ranger and Stefan takes cover in the first shed we destroyed on arrival...

Mission5_03.jpg

Scott and Grigoriy edge ever closer to the UFO door and in the next alien move we hear a barn door opening somewhere in the darkness. I decide to implement my sixth sense and notice only one barn door on the whole map which is open on the top floor of the western barn. It means there must be an enemy on the first floor or higher so I bear that in mind while the troops continue to move in cover.

Grigoriy and Scott take a kneel by the UFO doors with one auto and one heavy cannon waiting to greet anyone leaving. Both have good reactions so I have high hopes for the operation... Uta moves into anotehr shed and spies a second door that's open, could be the one we're looking for. She ducks back to cover to end the turn.

Mission5_04.jpg

Magically, the aliens hand me an own-goal in hidden movement and I believe what's happened is an alien carrying a primed grenade has stunned itself... Either way there are 2 explosions and a death scream! Uta changes her pants before moving cautiously to investigate.

Mission5_05.jpg

Closer inspection reveals a mind probe and a plasma rifle so there's anotehr one nearby with a small launcher I reckon but it can't have died from a grenade either as it's equipment is intact... As I leave Uta for the next soldier, I realise it was Stefan who took out the snakeman from the east. Still unsure where it came from, the NW is still treated as unsafe and he holds fast...

In the next alien turn both the aliens and Stefan do it again! Well almost anyway... As a Snakeman from the NW (told you it wasn't safe yet) moves betwwen the two sheds that Stefan and Uta are currently in, the latter fires off two snap shots and hits with both! Sadly the alien doesn't die and we destroy the corpse of the first alien killed. Gunter leaves the Ranger to locate the beast and as expected its the launcher carrying blighter that almost knocked out our Uta earlier!

Mission5_06.jpg

Gunter hits with the second shot and the monster falls unconscious. Meanwhile Uta pockets the mind probe (just in case) while the boys in the East prepare to move into the saucer. Feeling a little better about the NW, Gunter exhaust his TUs moving to check the fallen alien and Stefan spots a further foe with only 39 left himself...

Mission5_07.jpg

2 shots hit from Stefan's autoshot and although I don't hear a deathscream, the corpse he's standing on appears to have died silently so perhaps this one did too... Although corpses don't usually stand up in the next hidden movement! Shoot it again Stef!

Mission5_08.jpg

Not wanting to destroy any more artefacts than necessary (barns are apparently common on this farm so we don't care about them) Stefan misses his first snap shot and instead decides to close the gap on his unarmed opponent. In the next hidden movement, someone somewhere fires at someone else somewhere else... It's a plasma but I don't see where it came from or went...

Stefan pulls off a lucky shot this turn as his snap shot lands close enough to the snakeman to kill it but not close enough to waste his inventory! He decides to move into the wrecked sheds nearby just in case the shooter is in the area. Good idea Stef...

Mission5_09.jpg

Thankfully the second round of an autoshot puts the creep down but again there is no scream and by this point I'm not really sure WHAT that means! Gunter picks up the flare and after an uneventful alien turn throws it at Stefan's last victim. It's revealed as a mere soldier and once Stefan swipes it's plasma rifle it's completely unarmed just in case.

Uta is now upstairs in the western barn and another door has opened, hinting at an alien on the roof perhaps. It takes another turn to make it through the last door and onto the stairway but whoever says experience doesn't pay hasn't played this game!

Mission5_10.jpg

Now how to dispatch him with a heavy cannon... Seems to be armed with a stun bomb, let's get closer. In another hidden turn, the alien continues to face south and even ignores the tinny footsteps on the roof on X-Coms next move. Uta takes her time setting up and deals the killing blow to the roof, dropping the alien onto the stairs below...

Mission5_11.jpg

In the alien turn, the stunned soldier from the orchard moves south but is quickly dispatched by a single shot from Gunter. Again though there is no scream... In the barn there is no sign of the alien and Stefan and Uta continue to search for it. Stef finally locates it on the ground floor and with only 2 rounds left he's sure to make the first one count, killing it instantly.

Mission5_12.jpg

We heard a door in the UFO last turn so we know there are more inside. Grigoriy has been steeling himself to storm it for ages so he takes the plunge and flings open the door. He spots a sole Snakeman in the craft but can't target it directly. He aims for the wall beside it instead and stuns it on the third shot. The turn ends but the mission doesn't so he re-enters the UFO again next turn.

Mission5_13.jpg

Somehow by turning to the NW he spots a previously invisible foe. It's facing him but hasn't fired yet and he's too far inside the ship to turn back safely so he lets off another autoshot and hopes for the best. Based on the appearance of a plasma rifle behind his target, he seems to have vapourised a comrade but the intended victim is very much unharmed. He shoots again, knowing it's his last chance...

Mission5_14.jpg

His final snap shot, having no TUs for an autoshot, thankfully does the trick and a pleasant scream results! The game ends when we end turn which is good as Grigoriy would've been stuffed if anyone else was in there!

Mission5_15.jpg

One death for nine enemies is pretty good stuff I think, even if it was only a large scout. Here's the game for our next commander.

GAME_1.zip

Mission5_16.jpg

Geoscape Segment

On resuming command I ... I realise I haven't started up the game. I quickly go to correct that.

In the labs I start the Power Suit and the Floater Navigator and Snakeman Navigator research projects. With no progress having been made on UFO Navigation, I reallocate the scientists onto one of the Navigators, with the hyperwave decoder as the intended prize.

Next I go and sell junk we won't be needing and raise our funds to a tidy $8mil. Just what we need! Fireworks needs a Skyranger pronto.

Before that, I transfer usable equipment to their respective bases. Pistols and grenades to Orchard and the ammo for the Small Launcher to Fireworks. Since we also have 3 mind probes, I transfer one to each assault base.

Now for a little buying spree - Fireworks has a 20 strong crew and a shiny new Skyranger in transit. That knocked funds back to $6mil.

A few days pass and Fireworks is now fully staffed. Skyranger-3 is readied for battle. After loading up the Skyranger I note the initial rocket supplies I ordered earlier is not going to be enough, so more rockets and some spare launchers are purchased. I suspect whoever gets a chance to make use of this team is going to have a blast - pun and all.

geoscape_000.png

A few days later, a spot of trouble emerges by way of a Very Large UFO. Hoping it'll land as there's no way our interceptors are going to shoot this monster down. All I do is have Fort Cannon's interceptor tail it.

It flies in the direction of Vancouver. It slows down before it gets there, allowing the interceptor to catch up. Thinking it might be due to land, I quickly prep Fort Cannon's Skyranger for a ground battle.

While the Skyranger approaches the Battleship, the UFO starts flying towards Dallas, then past it. Once it is near the Panama Canal it swings around and heads directly for Fort Cannon! Luckily it flies past. The Skyranger just can't keep up with it - by the time is flies past Fort Cannon the Battleship did a quick stop in Los Angeles and bounces off it and flies back to Dallas. Moves off to Miami, then swings back over Dallas.

What the heck is this Battleship doing?!

It flies near Los Angeles then makes a beeline towards Mexico City. On its way it takes a Carribean detour and flies past Havana, then flies a straight line past Washington and New York in the general direction of England, and vanishes over the Atlantic.

Fed up with this chase Skyranger-2 is sent home.

When Fort Cannon's new workshop is ready, 50 new engineers are hired.

The next day I get a report from the labs. First is something about the reason the aliens are performing 'alien abduction's and blah, blah, blah.... *snore*

When I wake up someone shoves a picture of a dissected floater in my face and tries telling me *all* about it in great detail. Luckily the next lots of topics wake me up completely. There's some mumbo jumbo about alien origins but most importantly there's plans for a new super radar called the Hyperwave Decoder. The Hyperwave Decoder is given the go ahead.

geoscape_002.png

A few days later UFO 48 is caught flying into the US from the Pacific ocean. Another Very Large one by the look of it. It flies into Canada. Skyranger-2 is launched. The Battleship then does a fly-by of Fort Cannon and seems to travel away as if uninterested, then swings back slowly in the base's direction. It ambles along and seems to slow down once it reaches the middle of the USA. On the USA label to be precise, then flies past Dallas in a heading taking it to Mexico City.

Is this the same Battleship as before? Can't be, it's many days later.

The Battleship Stops in Mexico City then flies slowly in a clockwise motion around the Gulf of Mexico. It's slow enough for the Skyranger to keep pace, but not enough for it to catch up. It reaches Miami, then circles around and back into the Gulf of Mexico.

Local reports from fishing boats say there this big blocky thing beaming red lights into the water. Most were spooked because they thought they could hear the phrase 'wakey, wakey, time for breakfast!' being said over and over in their heads.

geoscape_003.png

From the Gulf of Mexico the Battleship makes a direct line over Fort Cannon and flies past it, past Los Angeles and straight into the Pacific. Somehow radar manages to keep track of it until it's lost off the coast of Japan. Skyranger-2 is sent home.

Hours later it is picked up on Fireworks' radar. It flies into China and promptly vanishes over Everest.

It's gone.

A few hours pass and Orchard's Large Radar is all green while Fort Cannon's engineer workforce arrive. They go to help crank out the Personal Armour. Orchard's second hangar is ready in a matter of hours too - but it will have to remain empty. Funds are starting to run low and there's still the personal armour batch to complete.

geoscape_005.png

Finally, a small UFO is spotted flying into Norway. Orchards' interceptor leaps into action and promptly shoots it down.

I recheck the Skyranger and note that there are enough suits of Personal Armour for everyone at Fort Cannon. Everyone suits up and the 3 remaining suits are shipped to Fireworks. Still a few more to go on the assembly line

Fort Cannon's Skyranger is launched. Before it lands, it waits 2 hours in the air for daylight before landing at the crash site.

And away we go!

Tactical Segment

Turn 1

Equipment check. Everyone seems fine, except Robert Smith who is a bit unstable. He decides to lessen his load by arming his smoke grenade and passing it to Norton Krumpet in front.

Remembering what happened the last time, Norton doesn't try to do anything fancy and throws it out the back of the Skyranger. No tank this time, so maybe his luck will change.

tactical_000.png

A quick scan through the portholes shows the Skyranger's parked in front of the UFO hatch. There are a couple of buildings in the distance which could mean trouble.

Turn ends with nothing much happening besides the smoke grenade going off and a UFO door opening.

Turn 2

tactical_001.png

Norton is first down the ramp and he jumps off to the left and kneels by the landing gear. Nothing seen. Next to him, Scott Taylor walks down the ramp and immediately glimpses a floater sniper on the nearby farm house.

Norton can't attack from where he is so he concentrates his attention on the UFO door. Hope his itchy trigger finger doesn't fail him this time.

tactical_002.png

Scott takes on the Floater. Since he can see the Floater, and it can see him, Scott leaps off the right side of the ramp to put some distance between them. He kneels and lets loose an auto burst. First round hits, the other two miss. This causes the roof to be destroyed. Thanks to the very nature of floaters, this one stays where it was rather than drop down into the building.

Uta Richter joins Scott, but rather than stand next to him, she walks a little further away until she's closer to the edge of the map, turns around, kneels and introduces a new implant to the floater that it promptly installs in its brain. A Heavy Cannon AP round. It doesn't survive the operation. Using her last remaining time units, she looks around underneath the Skyranger and towards the vegetable garden beyond. Nothing suspicious so far.

Robert Smith and Gunter Unger deploy into the heart of the smoke cloud.

Turn ends.

Door sounds.

Turn 3

Scott and Uta make their way to the front landing gear. Stefan Ulbricht and Shuji Iwahara drop down the right side of the ramp and make their way under the Skyranger.

Gunter goes to the northern apple orchard for a closer look while Robert Smith joins Norton in watching the UFO doors.

Turn ends.

A Floater comes out of the UFO doors and it drops after a triple dose of HE rounds.

Turn 4

tactical_003.png

Looks like Norton did all the shots himself. I get the nearest soldier in the Skyranger to grab a spare HC-HE clip and bring it over to Norton.

By accident I end up ordering Scott Taylor to walk back to the ramp. Losing her companion, I send Shuji and Stefan to back up Uta.

Gunter decides to do a cursory glance around the Orchard and spots a target.

tactical_004.png tactical_005.png

Rub a dub, dub, three floaters in a tub. Gunter laments the fact he can't aim that well, but tries his luck anyway. Rather than attract attention to himself, he aims his Autocannon at the furthest floater, which is not looking his way. The first ACHE shell is a direct hit, and knocks the target floater unconscious. The other two rounds don't appear to do much damage. Gunter slithers back into the safety of the smoke cloud that's starting to permeate the edge of the orchard.

Turn ends, door sound, but that's it.

Turn 5

Scott Taylor, having come back to his senses, walks over to assist Gunter. Jacqueline Marcelle, who was responsible for tossing Norton his spare belt of HE shells, wanders over to the side of the house. Either the window she's near or the main doorway may be worth checking into on the next turn.

tactical_006.png

Gunter now has to march a little further into the orchard to reacquires one of the floaters. It feels a bit risky to attack now, so he backs up behind a tree and waits the turn out.

Turn ends

The floater was still able to see Gunter even though he was behind the tree and kills him with one plasma rifle round.

Turn 6

tactical_008.png

Jacqueline has the right idea - but her execution is flawed. AP rounds tend not to have much of an impact in this situation.

tactical_009.png

Scott, who was behind Gunter, tries his luck and knocks out the floater and obliterates the corpse beside it. That doesn't mean much as there was one other target in there with a small launcher.

Meanwhile at the front of the Skyranger, Shuji and Stefan advance a little to inspect the nearby orchard. They then notice another farm house beyond it. That would be worth investigating. Shigeo Akira and Robert Davies are deployed to assist them and the pair make their way to the front of the Skyranger. Uta, having a Heavy Cannon, decides to stay back and assist with the siege on the UFO.

Turn ends. Door in the UFO opens.

Turn 7

Scott makes his way to the farmhouse door while Jacqueline reports there's another identical farm house behind this one, and a barn behind the UFO.

tactical_010.png

Shuji and Robert walk into the vegetable patch and approach the orchard from its open side. Stefan approaches it from the small entrance through the hedge. Shigeo watches his back, effectively adding to the team covering the UFO door. He decides to remain there.

Turn ends.

Jacqueline, despite not having moved, is unable to react quick enough to a floater that suddenly appears on the roof of the barn behind the UFO and is killed instantly.

Turn 8

Robert Smith breaks from his formation and slowly edges towards Jacqueline's corpse, staying in the smoke cloud. Nikolai Gorakhova exits the Skyranger to replace him. Patrick O'Cake also leaves the Skyranger and heads to the edge of the map to provide Robert some long range fire support.

Scott meanwhile makes it inside the farm house foyer. He walk around a bit to see if he can look up through the hole in the roof but it's not doing much.

Shuji and Robert Davies enter the Orchard while Stefan decides to walk along the outside of the hedge rather than go into the orchard.

Turn 9

Scott makes his way to the foot of the stairs. Then I unwisely have him walk into and out of the room beside him. Opening doors takes a long time so he ends up where he started, but also not being able to move.

Outside, Robert dashes out of the smoke and gets behind the corner of the UFO.

Shuji and the other Robert are now at the other end of the orchard. A weapon check shows Robert with HE shells and Shuji with AP shells. Shuji will go through first on the next turn. Stefan keeps pace on the other side of the hedge, but mindful of that sniper on the other side of the UFO.

Turn ends.

Turn 10

tactical_011.png

Scott, overjoyed nothing bad happened to him, proceeds to the stairs - and steps right through it. He backs around the corner towards the door and looks back but can't see anything. Short of blowing the roof away, there's no easy way to tell if the last floater upstairs is dead or alive.

Robert Smith dashes out from cover provided by the UFO and gets into the narrow alley between the two houses.

On the other side of the map, Stefan breaks and edges into the near corner of the UFO. Shuji barges into the door of the house beyond the orchard while Robert Davies peeks through the window.

Turn 11

Scott makes it out of the house while Robert steps into the doorway of the next house for a look.

Southside: Shuji heads for the stairs while Robert Davies walks around the outside of the house.

tactical_013.png

Stefan meanwhile walks around the UFO towards the barn and sees a floater at ground level. He opens fire and one AP round hits. The floater retaliates and Stefan is left with 2 critical wounds and 32 hitpoints left. Plenty of turns left to live but certainly not an infinite number. He gets behind cover before the end of the turn.

Turn 12

Stefan reloads with HE rounds.

tactical_015.png

Robert leaves the house just as Scott enters it. Robert heads to the edge of the UFO to catch the floater from the other side. Scott walks further into the house and spots a shadow in the corner of the UFO. Most probably Stefan's attacker. The shadow suggests it is looking away from him. He takes a step forward and it's looking towards the barn. Robert fires but only hits the window in front of him. This unfortunately leaves him stuck there with no time to leap to the side.

Southside: Shuji makes it up the stairs of the house and finds nothing. He makes his way to the window facing the UFO but can't fire. Outside, Robert Davies comes to a hedge enclosed clearing on the other side of the house.

Turn ends

The floater rises up above the UFO and fire over it at Nikolai, who was kneeling near Norton by the Skyranger ramp. He's killed instantly.

Turn 13

tactical_016.png

Shuji gets to the window and fires three AP rounds into the floater. The first shot strikes the floater in its flotation unit and kills it.

Scott rushes up the stairs of his building. A quick glance shows the upper floor is clear so starts making for the roof access.

Robert Davies in the far corner of the map walks through the hedge and only finds an empty bare patch of earth and a field of wheat beside it.

Turn 14

Scott reaches the stairs, but hesitates to climb them.

Shuji leaves his window and makes towards the roof access of his building.

Stefan and Robert Smith enter the barn behind the UFO.

Robert Davies marches north through the wheat field, and finds there's another structure in the far north-western corner of the map. A barn.

Turn 15

Stefan, rather than use finesse, fires a burst of HE rounds into the roof above the barn for good measure, though no holes are made in the ceiling. Robert heads for the stairs.

Scott gets onto the roof of his building and starts edging towards the building beside it to see if he can see into the damaged roof area where the trio of floaters were. There's this niggling feeling that one of them is still alive.

Shuji reaches the top of the stairs of his building but doesn't make it to the top.

tactical_017.png

Robert Davies makes a hole in the fence so he can walk through it.

Turn 16

tactical_018.png

Stefan fires another volley into the ceiling. When Robert climbs the stairs, if there had been a floater, it's definitely gone now.

Shuji climbs to the top of his building and can now look directly down onto the UFO. Unfortunately there's no hole in the roof.

Scott further investigates the hole in the roof of the other building. Still can't see any sign of the floater with the small launcher.

tactical_019.png

Robert Davies makes another new path through the next fence.

Turn 17

With his lifeforce ebbing away, Stefan races through the leek fields towards the north-western barn. Robert Davies follows after him and spots a Floater through the upper level window.

Robert Smith, who's still in the upper level of the destroyed barn nearby is in a good position to attack. If not at the floater itself, then at least he can open up the walls a bit. The first shot opens up a decent hole. The next shot somehow zips through the window and right off the map.

Shuji takes a crack at this floater, since he's at a reasonably elevated position and has a clear line of fire. Six shots are fired - none of them come near hitting. Or rather, none of them even fly in the general direction of the barn, except one. The floater doesn't fall from it but considering the shooter was literally on the other side of the map with an 18% to-hit ratio, not too bad.

tactical_020.png tactical_021.png

With the smoke kicked up from this attack, Robert on the ground can't visually see the floater anymore - but that doesn't mean he can't attack. First round knocks it out, the rest fly through the hole and off the map.

tactical_022.png

Scott carefully lifts off a bit more of the roof on the next house for a better look inside.

On the end of the turn 2 - 3 doors are opened in rapid succession in the UFO.

Turn 18

tactical_023.png

To be thorough, Scott Davies walks to the edge of the map for a better angle and opens up another side of the barn. Stefan makes his way to its main doorway.

On the end of the turn someone uses an AP round to skewer a floater that decides to leave the UFO.

Turn 19

Turns out this someone was Uta Richter.

Scott is generally satisfied that the other house is 'most probably clear'. The floater with the small launcher was most probably vapourised during the initial attack.

Scott, Shuji and Robert Smith rappel down from their respective buildings and make way for the UFO entrance.

Stefan and Robert Davies muddle around the barn in the corner a bit more just to be sure it's absolutely clear.

As the turn ends, Uta skewers another Floater with an AP round from her Heavy Cannon and this ends the mission.

geoscape_006.png geoscape_007.png

Not a spectacular mission, but still a fair outcome. Also with the increase in soldiers worldwide, we've got a handful of spare promotions handed out too.

Just before I save the game, I did one last adjustment to Fort Cannon and removed the general stores that I'd been planning to take out since my last turn.

Save for the next commander:

GAME_1.zip

- NKF

Well here i go again :)

Geoscape Part:-

Sold stuff in stores for around $1.2m, had a poke around the bases to see if anything needed doing but couldnt see anything right away :(. Decided to move 4 weaklings (below 30str) from fireworks to orchard easier for them to handle pistols than launchers :)

Moved Captain Pat O`Cake and Sergeant Grigory Belov to fireworks to provide morale and leadership for the rookie suicide squad

Few hours later and the personal armour order is completed, so i order 10 more (to be sent to orchard), also noticed orchard didnt have a skyranger (or one en route) so i ordered it :). Also checked graphs at this point and UFO activity is low all around the globe. Pity.

Transfer of 10 personal armour to orchard and skyranger also arrives there, so i prep the ranger with various pistols, nades, and personal armour for the 10 rookies on board (could use some exxperienced troops here now too...)

Personal armour order completed again, this time i start the production of 30 medkits (thinking 10 for each assault base)

Radar and Hanger built at watchpost-1, ordered an intercepter, 2x avalanche launchers and 30 torps.

Skipped on a few days and the eggheads finished decoding hyperwaves... i tell them to stop slacking and start figuring out a way to keep the grunts alive.. they mention something about power armour, go fo it says I. Orchard gets the first decoder installed (26 days) just dont have the $$ to get a second started in another base atm.

UFO-50 (Large) sighted above south america heading north west across the ocean towards the japanese base, hovered around near fireworks for a bit then zips off to africa and contact is lost. UFO-51 (Large) spotted near fireworks making a beeline directly for the japan base, Intercepter-3 is launched to keep tabs on it as its moving slow-ish and skyranger from Fireworks is launched in case it lands.

24th June 5:14 in the a.m skyranger touches down in full daylight right on top of the japan base (Supply Ship). On board are 10 troops including Cpt and Sgt and 10 launchers with enough ammunition to destroy a small planet.

Tactical part to follow - its a beast :(

Tactical Battle (Supply Ship)

Loadouts are the same for everyone - 1 Launcher w/sml loaded, 1xSml in backpack alongside 2xLrg and the first 4 guys get smoke nades.

Turn 1

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_000-3.png

Smoke deployed both sides of the ramp, quick check around through windows reveals a nice open area near ranger heading south and a hilly area to the west. Pilot has stuck us down in the NE.

Turn 2

Dwight dploys leftside of the ramp and Spencer takes the right - Next off comes Grigory, who heads left with Dwight, and Pat who backs up Spencer

Turn 3

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_001-3.png

Grigory heads up the hill and spots a Snakeman sitting in the valley between the hills - he has no shots available to him so he heads back down for next turn. (Alien turn - Snakeman moves past landing gear at the front from the south and is destroyed by an explosion, spencer claiming his first kill ^^)

Turn 4

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_002-4.png

Grigory heads back up hill but this time he gets a visula on 2 snakes, the one in the valley hasnt moved so he fires a snap shot and kills it.. then ducks back down the hill, Spencer takes the time to reload and he and Dwight face the bottom tip of the hill where the snake has to go if it wants to get to the ranger. (Alien turn - Another snakeman spotted near the front landing gear and is dispatched by reaction fire from Spencer again.. also destroying the other corpse and equip in the explosion)

Turn 5

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_003-4.png

Grigory loads a Lrg rocketand heads up the hill again, getting a visual on the previous snake and another friend of his. Grigory decides on a tactical retreat back down the hill and is hit in the back with a stun bomb for his troubles but he shrugs it off. Pat has a 94% aimed shot available and LOF to the snake near the bottom of the SS... BOOM... Splats it all over the ufo wall and has time to reload. Spencer and Dwight have full tu`s and still face the hill. (Alien turn - Snake decides to come round and is rewarded with a missile from Dwights launcher)

Turn 6

Dwight reloads, Grigory heads up hill and down into the valley near the snakemans corpse. Pat moves south towards the edge of the ufo and spots a snakeman near the ufo wall. Spencer has a LOF and a 72% aimed shot which he doesn`t miss - killing the snakeman but destroying a corpse in the explosion. Tatsuo and Lyudmilla exit the ranger and support Grig and Pat respectively. Next 2 off the craft drop their launchers and grab 2 more large rockets each and move to support a team each. (Alien turn - Snakeman spotted far side of the hill)

Turn 7

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_004-4.png

Grigory goes to investigate and gets a visual.. Tatsuo tries his luck from range but his shot goes wide, leaving grigory no choice but to try a snap shot... luckily the shot hits behind the snakeman taking him out but leaving grig out of the damage radius.

Turn 8

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_005-4.png

Grigory heads up the other hill and turns south towards the ufo, spotting another snakeman near the ufo`s wall, he loads a small rocket and has enough time to get a snap shot off but it flies past the snake. Tatsuo loads a large rocket and can get a snap of his own off which also misses. (Alien turn - Snakeman moves south)

Turn 9

Everyone reloads and waits for the snake to come back, Easten team keep pushing south down the side of the ufo.

Turn 10

Dwight moves around the southern edge of the 2nd hill and spots the snake.. seems it move towards grigorys position in the last turn. Grigory gets LOF and hits it with a large rocket.. needless to say it dies.. lots. Grigory shouts for the ammo-bearer to come give him more rockets. Pat moves south on the eastern edge of the map and gets a LOF on the ufo door.

Turn 11

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_006-3.png

All teams push south either side of the ufo. Western team reports the sighting of a dead snakeman in the distance that must have been hit by a stray missile.. Tatsuo and Grigory have a fight over who killed it.

Turns 12-22

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_007-3.png

Teams get into position either side of both doors and wait for the ambush (deemed it too risky to enter straight away packing only rockets).. 2 men near sub are the breach team once the numbers have been thinned out a bit (SS is from turn 20)

Turn 23

Alien pops out and is destroyed by Grigory - Shot from inside ufo kills a red-shirt that i didnt get the name of :)

Turn 24 - Grig reloads - (Kills another in reaction)

Turn 25 - Grig reloads - (Kills another in reaction)

Turn 26 - Grig reloads - (Kills another in reaction)

Turn 27 - Grig reloads the last rocket from the ammo carrier

Turn 28-29

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_008-3.png

Spencer enters ufo and spots a snake with its back turned.. gets off a snap shot with a small rocket that hits it but it doesnt die, Misclick sent emilio (ammo carrier) running across the front of the death door (Aliens turn - the wounded snake exits the death door and is killed by Grigorys last rocket but it also takes out emilio in the blast)

Turn 30

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_009-3.png

Spencer reloads and enters ufo with tatsuo in support (he seems to have taken splash damage too from grigs rocket), however he goes unconcious next turn.

Turn 31

Grigory runs to get a dead guys rockets. Brett covers the death door from the inside incase anything comes round to try and exit. This allows the other team to push towards the door on the outside. Spencer checks engine room but spots nothing but 3 power sources.

Turn 32

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_010-1.png

Tatsuo succumbs to his injurys and dies without much fuss. Spencer gets to the lift pad and Pat enters western door to cover area towards that lift pad. Screenshot is the space in front of the death door.. as you can see not much survived for looting :)

Turn 33-35

Spencer heads up to the top floor and lyudmilla also joins him ready to assault the top floor, Dwight and Brett head up to the middle floor and find various bits and pieces in glass tubes, both of them throw up on each other.

Turn 36-38

Spencer spots a snakeman in front of the top floor control room`s door, waits a turn before firing a rocket at the wall just in front of it (keeping himself out of the blast radius), but doesnt kill it and also realises he is out of rockets.

Turn 39-40

Rene comes from the bottom of the lift pad to help out Spencer - trying the same trick as he did this time the aliens scream can be heard around the ship.

End of mission.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_000-4.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_001-4.png

So not bad for a supply sip mission with rockets, shame that out of the 3 losses we took Grigory was responsible for 2 of them but he was a bit of an animal this mission so we forgive him. always get more meatshields

Save for next commander - GAME_1.zip

I started out by selling surplus stuff, and some stuff that maybe wasn't but will probably never be used. The cash went towards hyper-wave decoders for the second and third bases, Fort Cannon and Fireworks (the first, Orchard, already had one on the way; the forth I didn't feel advanced enough to warrant the $1.4mill price tag, besides, I'm not sure how the radar modules it currently holds can be removed...).

Power suit research completed, navigation research begun.

Another supply ship was spotted sitting where Lysear just fought, however, the Skyranger didn't make it in time and so it flew away.

A large enemy craft flew slowly past Fort Cannon, then left radar range. I then got a note telling me of a landed ship in that area - Cannon's crew scrambled (I assigned all the rookies as usual, with a small handful of Sergeants to make up the numbers), and the mission begun in daylight.

ufomulti_bbturn06_01.png

So it was a medium scout, not the other one I'd just seen - Ah well, I wasn't about to complain. :)

I deployed a few troopers but didn't see any enemies. Ended turn, no visible movement. Good and bad: because I could see pretty much the entire 4x4 map (no hedges!), it meant I had freedom of movement, but it also meant that all the aliens must've spawned indoors. Or more likely, in the UFO.

A horde of auto/heavy cannon toting troopers ran over to it, with no regard for TU conservation. The lone scout to the north got shot by a Muton.

ufomulti_bbturn06_02.pngufomulti_bbturn06_03.png

Rookie Gennadi ran forward to take his place. An open door was visible leading into a small farm building, but unfortunately he didn't spot anything for the snipers to work on - the alien must've gone inside.

The horde reached the UFO, and took up positions.

ufomulti_bbturn06_04.png

Gennadi got shot by the enemy in the barn, who promptly ran back inside. After patting himself down and finding no injuries, he realised a standard shootout probably wouldn't work out well for him, and switched to HE.

ufomulti_bbturn06_05.png

The Muton retaliated with a grenade.

ufomulti_bbturn06_06.png

One of his buddies stepped out of the UFO, resulting in a brief but eventful shootout. Two troopers fell and the alien walked back inside, despite taking in quite a number of shots.

ufomulti_bbturn06_07.png

Realising he had the advantage in TUs, Niel ran into the craft, forgetting all about their advantage in numbers. At this point I decided that there was no way in heck I'd take that swarm out through fair or honorable means, and so I checked his inventory - through some fluke or other, he'd ended up with the single alien grenade Fort Cannon had had in stock. I had him pull the pin.

ufomulti_bbturn06_08.png

This had some effect, and the aliens opened the door to waste some more TUs during their turn, so another trooper was sent in. Unfortunately she was readily shot down; but during the fight, one of the Mutons in the back of the craft killed another closer one to the door. :)

Hey, just because I can't fire heavy plasmas, doesn't mean I can't use 'em! :)

ufomulti_bbturn06_09.pngufomulti_bbturn06_10.png

Meanwhile, Gennadi and co have been trying to take down the Muton in the barn. Eventually another shot hit him, and he crumpled in a heap. Paul dashed over with the medkit at the ready, and another sniper ran forward

to take over spotter duty. In a turn or two the alien finally fell dead, but not after taking in a great deal of ammo.

ufomulti_bbturn06_11.pngufomulti_bbturn06_12.png

Gennadi recovered with 6 hp left - he'd taken one fatal wound to the torso. He and the snipers were directed to the UFO, when Scott found another alien outside:

ufomulti_bbturn06_13.png

Instead of re-inforcing the UFO group (who were starting to panic, what with the five deaths the squad had racked up already), everyone instead reverted back to sniper duty. After inflicting at least half a dozen shots on it over the course of a few turns (during which it didn't move a muscle), someone (me) had the great idea of shooting it with HE; it fell through the roof and immediately used its apparently improved LOS to kill another couple of soldiers with reaction fire, then another who couldn't move out of visual range before the alien turn.

ufomulti_bbturn06_14.png

Due to the angle they were on, Paul and Gennadi were unable to continue firing on it, and started down towards the UFO (where the soldiers were routinely beserking - fortunately, their shots were never aimed at each other). This left Yasuaki and Marielle to continue shooting at the alien in the damaged building.

Or just Yasuaki, really. Marielle kept panicking.

ufomulti_bbturn06_15.pngufomulti_bbturn06_16.png

Marielle eventually regained her marbles (Yasuaki wasn't really doing much, lacking the strength needed to provide full TUs while carrying a cannon), and proved herself to be a rather good shot. One of her autoshots connected with all three bullets! Of course, being against a Muton, they didn't achieve anything except cause her to run out of AP shells. She switched to HE, and the alien finally went down, unconscious.

Meanwhile, Gennadi realised he'd forgotten to bring something important, and went to get it.

ufomulti_bbturn06_17.pngufomulti_bbturn06_18.png

Everyone ran down to the UFO, except Marielle, who I'd decided to grant the gift of life in the form of SkyRanger insurance (that is to say, I ordered her to get back in the craft in case I had a total wipe). The beserks/panics were finally starting to slow down, and most troopers finally had their morale back up to the 50% range. As I made her stop to gather up loose weaponry, she made it back in JUST as the aliens hit their 21st turn...

ufomulti_bbturn06_19.png

An alien jumped out, and many reaction shots were fired. One of the silly things threw a grenade, which must've somehow failed to exit the craft, as it went off just as my next turn started - causing the mission to end on the spot. Only one trooper fell in that final skirmish, bringing the total up to a crippling 9, but... hey, coulda been worse I suppose.

Despite not actually making any kills, Gennadi went directly from rookie status to the rank of Sergeant, and celebrated by going on prolonged sick leave. The other soldiers all opted for extra payments due to post traumatic stress disorder, but were declined.

ufomulti_bbturn06_20.pngufomulti_bbturn06_21.png

GAME_1.rar

Geoscope part:

Not done much, sold stuff, hired soldiers. New Interceptor has arrived and was armed with Avalanches. New soldiers arrived at Fort Cannon. Few days later a large ufo was spotted over USA. Interceptors from Fort and Watchpost lunched, but the UFO outrunned them following over the N.Atlantic. Interceptors from Orchard and Fireworks lunched.

Ufo tracking was lost soon after, so Interceptors went on last know posistion. Luckly UFO was sighted again over midterenian sea. Interceptors redirected. UFO detecting threat from Interceptor from Fireworks turned back. First Interception occured over Portugal - all 3 shots hit and Interceptor pulled back, another Interception over Spain and UFO went down - Terror Ship.

Fort Cannon skyranger preped for launch. All veterans + 2 rookies. Mission starts in daylight.

We've landed in farm land, on the south, just in front of the UFO doors.

post-7842-1303232059_thumb.png

Standard procedure took in place - smoke granade in skyranger and smoke granade on the edge of the ramp.

Troops head out securing LZ. Soon Captain Uta spots floater exiting from nearest farm house. He either didn't spot her or didn't want to exchange fire, either way our Rookie Tatyana got her first kill.

post-7842-1303233097_thumb.png post-7842-1303233111_thumb.png

On next turn a Raptor try to break our formation but he didn't have enough TU's to do so. Stefan our (not so brave) Commander fires his HC misses but kills hidden rapotr just near the visible one. Next goes Robert with his AC, he totally missies but kills another hidden raport. Third goes Tatyana and kills the third Raptor.

post-7842-1303233550_thumb.png post-7842-1303233555_thumb.png

post-7842-1303233577_thumb.png post-7842-1303233589_thumb.png

Soldiers divide into two teams. One commanded by our Commander Stefan, with his most experienced troops.

Following to the UFO Norton spots another Raptor near the farmhouse, which was eleminted quite fast. On the other team Boris spots Floater and blasts him skyhihg.

post-7842-1303234055_thumb.png post-7842-1303234065_thumb.png

Closing the distance Norton was surprised attacked, luckly the ambush failed and the would be assasin gets stunned.

post-7842-1303234131_thumb.png post-7842-1303234135_thumb.png

Troops enter the UFO. Western team spots no one. Eastern team spots a Floater. All attack but he bastard is still standing. Looks like crappy situation. On alien turn another alien pops in, but fortunenty misses while the first one hides (What luck).

So Christel peeks out and like a execution squad she pastes the floater into the wall. Others take position for exchange fire with the other floater. Luckly nothing happened. So Norton raced to flank it and killed it.

post-7842-1303234540_thumb.png post-7842-1303234546_thumb.png

post-7842-1303234551_thumb.png post-7842-1303235021_thumb.png

Securing the ground floor, team gathers and prepares to assault the first floor. Following to the lift some plasma fire was heared above - the Aliens begin to panic.

First that went up were Gunter and Uta. A floter pops in with small luncher shoots at Gunter but the blast does nothing, reaction fire from Uta and Gunter destroys him. Strange that Gunter wasn't affected with stun damage, Uta on the other hand had quite a headache after that. Securing the lift team moves. Uto to the right, Gunter to the left, with other to cover them. Suddenly a disaster happened. A floater kills Uta...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

(a minute of silence).

Boris raced to face the bloody bastard. He spots two floaters near him, with two snap shots he blasts them and their guts litter the floor, walls and ceiling. On other side Gunter spots another floater and blasts him too, destroying navigation post, and some balloon like thingy.

post-7842-1303234988_thumb.png post-7842-1303234994_thumb.png post-7842-1303235061_thumb.png

Not over yet. So the ones that were left in Skyranger exit and sweep the terain.

Marielle spots a floater in the barn right near the UFO, some japanese guy (didn't catch his name) was suddenly eaten by Raptor, and another floater was killed in the far northern farmhouse.

post-7842-1303235221_thumb.png

GAME_1.rar

Ok I'm back! Happy Easter Everybody, hope everyone had a good one and that there are still a few kids around these days who know what it's actually all about :)

Anyway, time for my update as I didn't have a chance to do it before I left. I wish to make amends for my delay so as soon as the ranger returns to Fort Cannon I empty it of the massively overqualified crew and load it up with my own squad of miscreants.

I take the helm and decide to take along Norton Krumpet as my right hand man. The remainder of the craft is packed with rookies as we seem to only have one squaddie available at this base... Some of the veterans are given R&R and relieved of their personal armour which is handed out to the lesser men amongst us. They can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad omen of things to come.

They soon realise it's the latter as the craft is scrambled at around midnight to tackle the Snakeman base in Japan...

Mission7_01.jpg

The troops are dropped near to the alien installation with cannons locked and loaded with HE rounds but there isn't a great deal of it so they'll have to go carefully if they want to make it last! They soon infiltrate the very heart of the base and take up positions in 2 green rooms above the alien hallways. Five troopers are in the West of the base with a further 9 in the very southeast corner. After a brief scouting of the hallways directly beneath them they all retreat to end the turn.

Mission7_02.jpg

A host of doors open in the alien turn and the troopers in the Southeast decide they have the best position to start clearing the base. The 5 troopers in the West emerge for another scout of their location but the hallways are still clear.

In the East, Brett Robinson is the first rookie to move out and he takes point by the northern corridor. Nikolai Zhdanovich joins him to cover the exit with one autocannon and a heavy for backup. Next down are David Jones to bring an autocannon to bear in the West and heavy cannoneer Christel Heinsch, the only vet in the field other than the COs of this mission. It was a tough choice between Christel and Norton as they wield the only remaining heavy cannons in the Southeast but Norton is too valuable to risk on an initial assault phase...

Mission7_03.jpg

As you can tell from the above screenie, I'm hoping no nearby movement occurs this turn or David and Brett (furthest left and right respectively) could well be spotted before I have a chance to move again. The rookies take the chance as the turn ends but there is no visible movement next turn...

As David and Brett bravely push the perimeter outwards they spot an alien garden and suddenly wish they had some incendiary ammo... Christel and Nikolai move to cover the length and width of the base while the rookies Scott Taylor and James Sharpe move out to join the effort. Another scan in the West reveals no movement and anotehr turn ends safely with no visible movement.

Mission7_04.jpg

As the troopers move yet further into the darkness, yet another alien turn passes without movement. The tension is becoming unbearable and the troops are getting increasingly nervous with each and every turn so I'd really like to secure a kill to ease their minds but they can't shoot what they can't see!

We decide it's time to make a beeline for the boys in the West but they can't secure all 3 exits with only 5 troops so the big guns get moving with Munty, Norton and rookie Andrea Robinson preparing to run for it nxt turn. Noone else moves and the Colonel and Sergeant confide in each other that Andrea is rather slower than they'd like... The decision is made to take Christel instead and the exchange is made on the fly next turn!

By turn 9, the wall of Veteran death that is Munty, Norton and Christel are almost in the Southwest corner of the map. From there they'll be in sight of the stranded rookies to the north. Still no enemy movement has been spotted and not a single shot fired. Even the CO's who should know better are beginning to feel that this may not be so bad after all...

Fianlly we spot 2 targets at once but only one of them is an alien. As Munty breaks West to clear the final section of corridor in that direction, Norton and Christel move North through a small alien garden. They quickly locate a Snakeman with an unknown weapon and behind him is the alien command centre as an added bonus! (Of course they don't know that as this is the first alien base they've ever seen but I do!)

Mission7_05.jpg

In the same turn, Norton fires 2 snapshots from his heavy cannon. The first is a direct hit but the foe stays standing, only responding with light plasma fire when the second shot destroys the garden between the shooters. Christel has no line of fire so aims for the wall left of the Snakeman but misses and destroys more of the garden! With Munty too far away to help they must brave the next turn alone but the alien seems to only have a pistol so it could be worse...

At this point, the trapped rookies get word of the situation and Robert Sharpe leaps into action with his Autocannon, diving down from above and opening fire on the pistol wielding fiend! Apparently this was one of the 3 troopers who couldn't reload with HE rounds but 2 of his 3 round AP autoshot went right through the monster and it crumpled into a ball before him!

Mission7_06.jpg

In the alien turn, Robert has a near miss with some plasma from an unseen source but he fails to locate the shooter when X-Com is back in play. I imagine it came from the window by the command complex... As Munty moves up to support him we get a fright, I don't think I need to say what it is...

Mission7_07.jpg

Robert retreats in a vertical fashion and leaves the bugs to the professionals! Norton lays down 2 snap shots which hit both Chryssalids with splash damage but Christel simply destroys more foliage. Munty takes a risky autoshot but all 3 rounds hit the doorway between him and his target leaving him without time or ammo.

Thankfully the Chryssalids simply waste all of their TUs in the alien turn but a Snakeman is spotted in the West of the command complex when X-Com regains control and it has another 'Lid with it. That's 4 targets for 3 troopers, could get ugly!

Mission7_08.jpg

The Chryssalid closest to our troops in the garden recieves some serious damage but isn't ready to fall so Norton and Christel end another turn nervously. Meanwhile Munty lays into the only alien with a weapon but neither the snakeman nor his Liddle friend go down. Robert returns to lay down some splash damage but as soon as I hit fire I remember he's packing AP rounds, doh... We rinse and repeat with another Rookie, Tatyana Kolatov and she takes down the Snakeman!

Mission7_09.jpg

Rookies Brett Taylor and Andrea Jonlan move into the room below in an attempt to shoo away any 'Lids who make a beeline for the veterans but they fail miserably as 2 walk right past them. Thankfully noone is killed but Christel is hit by plasma fire and left with 2 health and one fatal wound from plasma fire! One of the 'Lids has stopped right in front of the useless guards but not had time to attack thankfully!

Mission7_10.jpg

With Brett and Andrea armed with HE rounds, Robert descends to take on the point blank Chryssalid and spears it with 6 AP bolts before it dies! Andrea has another bug in her sights near Christel and Norton so she uses her turn to target it. 5 HE rounds either hit or contact the foe but it stays standing. Brett moves over and hits 4 more times but the enemy is still standing...

Mission7_11.jpg

Norton heals Christels arm before turning to engage the nearby 'Lid but with limited TUs he can only manage one snap with his Heavy Cannon. Thankfully it seems to be enough and the enemy falls! I'm certain it didn't scream though so here's one to watch out for... Crisis almost averted I realise that there is in fact anotehr Chryssalid right beside the last one! Damn these dark garden tiles...

Mission7_12.jpg

Before ending the turn, I move Munty up to the command complex and Christel uses her TUs to shoot twice at the last remaining Chryssalid but neitehr finish it off. In the alien turn it charges towards her but never attacks and a whole host of plasma fire is seen, including one shot from a Snakeman in the little window to the north! In X-Com's turn it seems that the Chryssalid has only moved a handful of tiles and it's not clear why it didn't attack Christel but thankfully it didn't!!!

Mission7_13.jpg

This turn I begin moving the eastern teams again, moving the western troops into a large garden and the remainder to the north through some empty corridors. In the West, Christel is out of ammo but I have her fall back to reload rather than stay in view of the 'Lid. She's had enough action for one day, time for the rookies to get involved!

Norton on the other hand is still ready for action but rather than waste his TUs with an eggplanter right in front of him I have the rookies file in from above and finally it's Andrea Jonlan that takes down the last 'Lid! In the process of reaching this point Robert has run out of AP ammo so he's out of the game with no reload. Thanks to the last alien turn, we know of one Snakeman inside the corridor to the north and another outside it just to the NW. Munty moves in to find the latter...

Mission7_14.jpg

An Autoshot guarantees a kill at such short range but also destroys a corpse that was already in place here. As Norton moves up to the command complex he unexpectedly spots anotehr snakeman in the East with 24TUs left. He decides it's not worth the risk and retreats to the West.

Mission7_15.jpg

In the alien turn, Munty spots anotehr Chryssalid by the command complex doors but thankfully it goes inside. Next turn he relocates the snakeman Noton spotted and puts a cannon in it's back. Thankfully 2 hits kill it as this leaves him without ammo and no time to reload after a quick retreat.

Mission7_16.jpg

As the 6 soldiers in the East continue to clear the gardens, Scott has a major shocker to radio into Norton just as he runs out of TUs! There are 2 snakemen right in front of him and very little to be done about it. Norton may be his only hope...

Mission7_17.jpg

Remembering Christel's newly reloaded location, Norton radios her for backup and with a single shot she dispatches the Northern foe! Norton steps out and fires twice at the remaining hostile but hits the greenery both times. Brett is stood nearby but has no LOF and only 2 rounds left in his autocannon so he stays put. Christel falls back to end the turn and Scott in the East wets himself as the turn ends...

Mission7_18.jpg

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, the first thing to happen in the alien turn is the blasting of Scott by the very hostile he spotted last turn... Thankfully though, revenge is immediate as it's movements alert the previously unused Brett to it's location, prompting 2 rounds of reaction fire. The first hits the plant creating a clean LOF for the second to blow it to pieces! Brett's cannon goes 'click' and he runs off to reload in X-Com's next turn. The Chryssalid from the North has returned as well but luckily stopped just short of my avatar! I'm pleased as I'd forgotten about this guy!!!

Mission7_19.jpg

The following turn sees all hell break loose around the returning Chryssalid as almost everyone is running out of ammo. Norton fires but then is empty without a reload. Munty reloads with AP but can only fire once and still misses! Brett reloads with AP and scores one hit but it's nowhere near enough. Even the troops from upstairs are involved but it's not until Maria Blake brings her autocannon to bear that the swine finally drops. Another snakeman corpse is vapourised in the process and 5 men are now clustered together holding a large 'place blaster bomb here' sign.

Mission7_20.jpg

With Scott dead, Nikolai joins fellow rookies David and Andrea to finish scouring the first large garden. Anotehr is located to the north which James and the other Brett are currently covering but they won't enter it alone. In the alien turn, a snakeman walks right past David without even realising and another by the door to the command complex fires at the wall in front of him...

Mission7_21.jpg

Neither of the previously spotted foes remain visible in our next turn so David pursues his contact north and quickly relocates him. Sadly it's facing him already which was unexpected... Nikolai moves to assist but doesn't have time to reach him and it's the same story for Andrea... David lays down an autoshot but it's only AP ammo so none of them even come close to putting the monster down! I contemplate an assault on the complex but have no idea who to use or how to go about it. Munty decides to lead the charge with 11 rounds of AP ammo. Maria will join him with HE rounds. A misclick leaves Maria completely in the open so I evacuate teh area and prepare for the inevitable...

It's the worse news as another Chryssalid appears and zombifies my would be partner... David is also killed by the Snakeman he was unable to kill but tehre's no sign of the other one by the complex...

Mission7_22.jpg

I have my avatar unload 6 AP rounds on the 'Lid that took my teammate but it doesn't go down! Tatyana drops down and lays into it with HE rounds which kill it, eradicate the corpse and miraculously don't scratch mini-me! In the East, Nikolai brings his heavy cannon to bear on the back of the snakeman that killed David and promptly misses. Andrea takes her turn and doesn't, fertilising the garden with worm guts...

Mission7_23.jpg

Now for the zombie... I don't want to force it to hatch unless I know I can kill it but I do have 4 troops with full TUs up the nearby lift. Brett has 11 AP rounds, Norton is empty but stood by AP rounds for his heavy cannon, Robert is OOA and Andrea has 5 HE rounds... We decide to go for it and Andrea pops down first to burn off the cocoon. She's successful and spends her last 2 rounds on the newly hatched Chryssalid before running out of TUs and ammo!

Mission7_24.jpg

Norton goes next with a fresh clip of AP in his heavy cannon but only one shot this turn. He misses and returns upwards in disgrace... Brett Taylor is next up and he amazingly kills the beast with just one more shot from his AP autocannon before ending the turn.

Mission7_25.jpg

Typically we spot yet another Chryssalid in the next hidden movement, this time in the garden by Andrea and Nikolai I believe. I'm right and they quickly spot it and lay down some fire. Andrea destroys the Snakeman corpse while Nikolai almost shoots himself. They both run away very fast! Munty takes a step West and takes down the Snakeman there with an autoshot before hiding again. It may only be stunned...

Mission7_26.jpg

In the next turn, the Chryssalid in the east has apparently selected Andrea as a target but is moving slowly so Nikolai puts the hurt on him before making a beeline for the other troops in the East. Andrea herself simply makes a rubn for it immediately hoping that they can establish a firing line before it's too late! James and Brett are waiting with AP ammo and hoping their teammates are quick enough to reach them!

Mission7_27.jpg

In the West thigns are even worse where my avatar has taken a single step and spotted 2 snakemen bearing down on him! With only 2 rounds of AP ammo he stands no chance so he makes a run for it but spots another alien behind the window! He keeps running and makes it into the small garden before ending the turn. Sadly the Chryssalid didn't pursue our troopers far enough for the firing line to open up on it but we retreat from the garden nonetheless.

Mission7_28.jpg

Once again a single step from my Avatar is enough to spot one of the snakemen who has clearly followed me! With no LOF and only 2 rounds he moves to cover again and Brett emerges from upstairs to flank the git. Sadly he spots anotehr one who has apparently also been following me... He hits it twice from an AP autoshot and drops it with a scream! That's no consolation for Munty though who is pretty stuffed in his current location... I run for cover again and try to draw my pursuer into a trap.

Mission7_29.jpg

The Chryssalid is back in the next hidden move but noone can fire and it retreats again. Noone moves in the West and a sole door is heard in the distance... As my avatar moves again to relocate his stalker he does so in remarkable fashion and point blank range! He instinctively lets off his final 2 rounds of AP ammo but tragically doesn't kill the new enemy... Brett Taylor drops from the lift once again and finishes off the foe with a single snapshot! I'm starting to really like this guy...

In the alien turn, Brett is shot at by a Snakeman who emerges from the command complex but no damage is taken so he stands his ground. Meanwhile, the four-man firing line in the east manages to fail right up to the point that the Chryssalid impregnates one of them before standing mere feet away and laughing at them all... I now have 3 men who must kill 2 Lids in one turn after popping the zombie...

Mission7_30.jpg

James Sharpe starts the line off by popping the zombie with an autoshot, the 3rd round hitting a newly hatched Chryssalid. Another autoshot fails to kill it leaving Brett Robinson in charge of polishing off former teammate Andrea. He does so with his first Autoshot and amazingly kills the parent 'Lid with another burst! Nikolai is grateful that his HE cannon wasn't necessary...

Mission7_31.jpg

In the West Christel is spotting for the remaining troopers and acquires a Snakeman just by the comman dcomplex. My avatar is sick of the rules and running away from enemies so he scoops up an alien grenade and primes it for immediate detonation. Unable to throw it he takes cover yet again as does Christel after scoring a direct hit on the only visible foe with her HE cannon.

In the alien turn, a snakeman seems to brave X-Com territory and fire on Munty's position but it's a miss... Christel takes a look at possible origin and spots 2 snakemen right below the deployment zone!

Mission7_32.jpg

A perfect opportunity for some heavy artillery she unloads some HE on the pair, killing one immediately. The first death reveals a third alien with a blaster launcher so the priority target is changed! A second round kills both remaining snakemen and I believe destroys as many as 3 corpses... Munty holds position while we end the turn.

Mission7_33.jpg

We finally seem to have broken the back of this mission as an engineer and 2 leaders panic while the commander goes beserk!!! I'm going to search for a small launcher before we breach any further, maybe I can nab a commander for good measure...

As Christel returns to scout some more, she spots another Snakeman who appears unarmed. Perhaps he was one of the panicked aliens but we'll soon see. Norton Krumpet brings death from above and dispatches the creature with 2 AP rounds.

Mission7_34.jpg

Over the next few turns we begin to search corpses and find that Norton's kill was a panicked engineer who had dropped his blaster launcher! Good score Norton! Tatyana joins Munty as he pushes into the Command complex. He has no ammo but does have an alien grenade...

Mission7_35.jpg

Next turn one of the Leaders panics again but the Commander has apparently composed himself and so slaps some sense into the coward. Over the next few turns this changes as the Commander and his leader continue panicking on and off... Munty ventures into the unexplored north while Tatyana explores the corridor surrounding the command complex. The troops in the east clear the remaining garden in the northeast and then rejoin the fight in the west.

On turn 31, Tatyana spots a Snakeman exiting the main command center and hits it with an HE round from her autocannon. It retreats inside and informs the others of the situation which causes a leader to panic again... The entire base is now clear and noone has anything we can use to stun the aliens so it looks like death for the commander sadly... Speaking of which, a quick beserk from the alien boss shows us he's on the lower level right inside the door. Not that that helps at all...

After a few more turns, Tatyana is joined by Brett and James from the Chryssalid firing line and they're ready to storm the command centre. It's turn 36 when the troops are finally in place by the final door separating them from their ultimate goal. What's waiting for them is a very novel sight...

Mission7_36.jpg

On the same turn as opening the door, Brett kills the snakeman on the right and James takes care of the one in the centre. Sadly Tayana has HE ammo loaded so is at a disadvantage fighting point blank so she falls back for now. There is an armed alien on the lift but the one by the door has already dropped it's weapon so we end the turn with everyone relatively safe.

Mission7_37.jpg

In the alien turn we're graced by another unarmed snakeman who exits the complex and then returns inside. I've no idea where he came from but I still only saw one armed alien in the whole turn and he fired at the ceiling 3 times so we should be safe enough to enter.

Tatyana is first through the door and she blasts the armed snakeman in the centre of the room who now has it's back turned! It doesn't die so Brett enters, spotting both unarmed soldiers as he does so. In a spectacular move he shoots his AP cannon right through the unarmed alien in front of him which slows the round just enough to knock out the armed foe!

The final enemy panics next turn and is a leader so I'm wondering exactly who it is we just knocked out. There's a 50/50 chance that it's the big boss! James steps into finish off the panicked leader but it takes anotehr 6 hits and 2 turns to end the level!

The result could be a lot worse with 23 neutralised foes at the cost of 4 untrained rookies. Christel was almost an expensive casualty mind and I hate losing 2 of our own to those bugs...

Mission7_38.jpg

Most importantly though, the base is destroyed... That was the whole point after all! Now to see who we knocked out...

Mission7_39.jpg

Someone promote that man! It really was an awesome shot that took this guy down and it's a commander!!! What amazing luck!!! I haven't started research so DON'T sell the corpse!!! Here is the save for whoever is next;

GAME_1.zip

Geoscape segment

First thing I do is make money - we're rather low on that at this point. The base raid provided a lot of entertainment units to sell off, and the last circuit of commanders have racked up a good amount of bodies to sell to wherever we send them. This alone amounted to $1.7mil of of the $6.3mil I managed to raise from stuff we won't be using.

I ship off all the useful stuff we've gathered to where they're needed, like grenades to Orchard and rockets to Fireworks.

Fireworks sends all of its accumulated raw materials to Fort. Cannon. Namely all of its alien alloys and as much elerium it can send until Fort. Cannon runs out of space. It won't remain empty for long, as the alloys are going to be converted into suits of armour.

Fort. Cannon then attempts to send 21 Blaster bombs to Fireworks but is only able to send 17 and a launcher as Fireworks has plumb run out of space. A new General Stores module is installed in Fireworks to complete a long corridor.

More HE ammo is bought for Fort. Cannon's main guns.

Into the workshops and Fort. Cannon's engineers start making the first 4 Power Suits. More will be on its way, but I figure it might be a good idea to hammer out some laser pistols after this to send to Watchpost-1 as something to arm it in the interim.

Now I wait for the Skyranger to return from its last mission, and the day begins. A few hours later and we get in our monthly report. Normally I don't bother with this, but thanks too all the recent efforts here it is:

geoscape_000.png

Great work guys.

However even with the funds from the funding nations, our monthly bill hits us a bit hard. Running three assault bases, even minor ones, sets us back $2mil after all bills are paid.

geoscape_001.png

A few hours after most of the delivered items start to arrive at their respective bases, a small UFO is spotted near Fireworks. Fireworks' interceptor launches to intercept. A single round of missiles take the UFO down.

I rearrange the troops on the Fort. Cannon Skyranger, though to be honest not a lot is changed beyond filling up the empty gaps. I also adjust the equipment slightly and add one belt of Incendiary shells for the auto-cannons. Never know when it might come in handy.

geoscape_002.png

The Skyranger's still being rearmed so the launch is delayed a few hours. While it's en route to the crash site, Watchpost-1 spots a small UFO nearby.

Watchpost's interceptor scrambles, but I change my mind shortly after takeoff and have it return home. It's too early to let the base attract attention to itself, and there's every chance that shooting the UFO down will lead the aliens directly to Watchpost. It's not ready to withstand an attack just yet. Fort. Cannon's interceptor takes over.

Just as I do that, the UFO lands. While Fort Cannon's interceptor heads to keep watch over the UFO, the Skyranger arrives near the crash site. It was racing the night/day terminator when I last checked - and was winning. So I had it park over the crashed UFO to wait until dawn.

A few hours later the UFO that Fort Cannon's interceptor was fielding launches and manages to elude the interceptor and it flees north towards the polar caps. The interceptor attempts to chase after it, but this turns out to be a futile exercise as it runs out of fuel once it flies into the tundra.

The Skyranger lands.

Tactical segment

Just a note to the interested: Norton, Munty and the hero of the last mission Brett are now clad in some shiny (well, grubby) but otherwise brand new Power Armour. That should help in close quarter combat.

The bad news is that I didn't arm enough HE shells for all autocannons, but I think we should be able to manage ammo-wise with what we have unless things don't go pear shaped.

Turn 1

Equipment check, and Nikolai's overburdened. He's the only one, but he's stuck right at the front and that could be a problem.

The Skyranger appears to be placed nearly in the middle of the map. The rest of the map looks rather barren with mostly flat land, wheat fields and some low fenced off areas. But the worst part is that we are facing the Medium Scout's hatch and there's a Muton.

tactical_000.png

Since we can't afford to ignore it. I can't afford to move Nikolai and he can't shoot back. So it has to be Norton, who has quite high reactions. Norton kneels so that he can get those beind him to assist. But he is not as quick off the mark as the Muton. The moment he kneels, the Muton lands two direct hits with its plasma rifle and Norton is knocked unconscious.

Nikolai hops down the ramp. It's an absolutely crazy move to make but we're desperate. He's probably toast - but all of the troops in the Skyranger would be in danger (from a grenade) if we don't make way or some troops to fire on that Muton.

tactical_001.png

As he goes down the ramp, something shoots the ramp and he lands on the grass to see a Muton. From the direction it is facing, it can't be the one that fired on him.

Munty and Tatyana Kolotov polish off the Muton in front of the UFO by slamming three HE shells into the Muton (or possibly the UFO). Twice from Munty to soften it up and one from Tatyana. Tatyana is just able to get to Norton and apply one round of medication. This wakes Norton up but he can't move and still has 2 wounds to be fixed. He's also blocking the exit. Brett Taylor (no, not that Brett, this is another one) walks forward and completes the treatment.

Munty and Tatyana step back so that Yuri Shalimov can zig-zag between them and down the ramp to attack Nikolai's Muton. He's shot in the back of the head - but no damage is done.

tactical_002.png

Yasuaki drops down to cover the other side of the ramp but is killed instantly. Yuri turns to look and there are two Mutons in the wheat field. There's too many and not enough troops to provide backup, or rather they haven't go enough time to get outside to mount any form of attack. Yuri abandons Nikolai and heads back into the Skyranger. He only makes it to the top of the ramp.

When the turn ends Nikolai is killed from the back, and one of the Mutons walks right up to the ramp and does what I was fearing the most. It throws a grenade.

When the grenade explodes it kills Yuri, but was at least on ground level.

Norton, still badly wounded, goes berserk. This means we've now got half of the ramp blocked. At least he's kneeling.

Turn 2

tactical_003.png

Tatyana, Brett and finally Munty each step out onto the ramp and shoot at this (momentarily unarmed) Muton with their heavy cannons and step back inside the Skyranger. Munty's round knocks it out.

James Sharpe hastily swaps his Autocannon for Yuri's, since it has HE shells in it and his didn't.

With everyone trapped in the Skyranger there's not a lot the team can do at this stage. They decide to wait. But everything goes horribly-horribly wrong.

Turn ends

A plasma beam flies out of the UFO and Norton meets his end. Sure the power suits let you last a bit, but that doesn't mean you'll last forever. Oh well.

After my avatar fell things really turned to custard that I'll just summarise:

The two rookies in front were gunned down and everyone started panicking and two or three went berserk. In between the chaos two more troops wre felled by attacks from the UFO. One of the panicked units literally ran out of the Skyranger and in his brief moment outside (before he was gunned ) confirmed that the Skyranger was surrounded on all sides.

During the frantic exchange some of the more level headed soldiers in the Skyranger managed to return fire and killed one of the Mutons that had popped out of the UFO. Munty was definitely one of them, as he was down to his last round in his cannon when I regained control.

With the Mutons doing to me what I normally do to them, I decide to cut my losses then and there and abort before the disaster could get any worse.

geoscape_003.png

It was a disaster.

Hope the next commander has better luck:

GAME_1.zip

- NKF

Ok im up :)

After taking my command, i do a quick check of all bases and notice evrything is pretty much running smoothly, Thought about attacking the alien base in india for all of about 3 seconds - then bottled it. Manufacture of the power suits was completed in Fort Cannon, so i set an order for another 10 (hoping these can be sent to orchard, to protect the pistol weilding maniacs in extended firefights).

Research on UFO Navigation is completed (thus opening up research on flying suit and UFO construction), i put the nerds onto the mind probe project (feel free to change it though, in hindsight maybe getting newer attack ships would help us down some bigger targets)

Not long after that the aliens terrorize London, Orchard is closest and has a ranger with 10 rookies in it, so those are given the green light to respond, replaced the 10 human nades on board with 10 alien nades making a total of 30 kidney shaped devices of doom (3 per man ^^). On approach to london another large ufo is detected heading to the india base (landing and taking off again, so im guessing it just supplied them )

6.15am in the morning Skyranger and its Pistol squad touches down in london, in full daylight too, hoping i have anything other than snakeys or mutons :) (troops are in personal armour).

Tactical :- (London Terror Mission)

Turn 1

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_000-4.png

Pilot seems to have dropped us in the SE of the map, turning in place in ranger shows a small hows to the W and a road to the S, with a 3 floored building directly in front of the house, one of the front guys has a visual on something in the blacked out area (mousing over it reveals the silhouette of a....... Floater YAY!!), smoke is deployed at the bottom of the ramp and also in the ranger (Aliens Turn - Grenade explodes somewhere causing the death of a floater).

Turn 2

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_001-4.png

Helen, Siegfried and Shigeru deploy to the W of the ramp, Leon rushes directly N and spots a floater on the path in front of him, Fire team in the ranger opens up Scott (Aimed and a Burst - all misses), Anatoly (Aimed - Hits it but it doesnt go down) and finally Yaka Tanikawa bags her first kill with an aimed plasma shot to its face.

Turn 3

Siegfried runs to the edge of the smoke cloud and spots a floater on the other side off the small house to the W, Helen primes a nade and passes it to him, so he picks it up and takes a step back and lands the nade right next to the floater. Leon pushes a bit further north but spots a floater to the NW of his position almost immediatly.. Troops exit the ranger to get LoF on it, Yaka gets her 2nd kill with another aimed plasma shot - taking the floater in the back and killing it outright. (Aliens Turn - Grenade vaporises the floater leaving only his gun behind, plasma flies in towards the ranger from the open area in the W, luckily no one is hit)

Turn 4

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_002-5.png

Siegfried moves in that direction to get a visual on the shooter, and does so within a few steps. Helen hits it square in the ball with an aimed laser pistol shot and it rightly screams and drops to the floor. Shigeru pushes south and around the house and comes face to face with a floater - Praying to whichever gods were listening at the time he squeezes off a burst from his laser pistol, hitting it with the 2nd of the 3 and dropping it, breathing out a sigh of relief he pops back into cover. Leon and Scott both press further north towards the entrance of the building.(ss below shows troop postions and where the enemies were killed)

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_003-5.png

Turn 5

Shigeru throws some smoke ahead of him as thers a large open space to the west. same is done a little bit further north in front of siegfrieds position. Leon and Scott keep the door in their sights should anyone try to pop out. (Aliens Turn - reaper and floater spotted near the SW corner of the large houses fence, floater takes a shot at jane but her armour holds and she takes 0 damage)

Turn 6

2 alien grenades are thrown at the reapers position (i keep forgetting explosions dont chain :(), A trooper heads a little further west out of the smoke cloud and is immediatl gunned down, shigeru runs back up to the north of the house and rounds the corner to get a visual on the floater - popping back into cover after he relays the info back to the squad. Igor aims and hits it dead on with a plasma shot getting his first kill, he dreams of getting a terminator tattoo at this point. (Aliens turn - grenade goes off and kills the reaper)

Turn 7

Floater is standing right next to the reapers corpse, grenade destroyed all of the cover it had too :( and about 7 troops have LofF on it ^^. Igor "Terminator" drops it with an aimed shot from his pistol after 2 other nubs miss it with 4 shots each (aimed + burst). Leon heads into the kitchen of the house for a snack, Scott decides to leave him there and proceeds up the stairs to the 2nd floor.

Turn 8

More general moving around.. nothing detected around (Aliens Turn - Plasma from the west (again!!) takes out a trooper near the ranger

Turn 9

Leon exits through an impromtu hole in the kitchen wall and is knocked out quicker than audley harrison, so we know there is a stun launcher wielding fo around :). Igo "Mr Termiantor to you" kills said floater with a burst from his trusty pew pew. Tatyana receives a message from shigeru - which she politely declines :( - he then tells her there is a floater ahead of his position. She duely dispatches it with a plasma burst (scorching the tile behind shigeru in the process), a reaper is also sighted in that area but is left alone for now.

Turn 10

Tatyana is able to get a grenade under the reapers position - knowing that leon is probably gonna get caught in the blast (greater good and all that jazz :(). At this point jane has pushe right up north and headed to the NW of the house along the outside of the wall, but rounding that corner proves to be her downfall and she is mercilessly slaughtered. Grenade kills the reaper and poor leon

Turn 11

Troops push up the front lines, keeping to cover and kowing there is one near the house - Scott is on the 3rd floor hoping to get a sight on it from above from a window. Wishing he had a scanner :(

Turn 12/13

"I`ll be back" Igor gets a visula on another floater in the west, but drops back and lets tatyana riddle it full of plasma and dropping it steaming to the floor... like... er .... well you know ... *cough*

Turn 14

Igor is still dreaming up names for himself but manages to push forward and another floater is sighted, "Call me ScoutTerminator" he cries, everyone just mutes him. Shigeru at least drops the floater with a laser burst removing the danger. Igor takes another step forward and is hit sqaure in the chest with plasma, but it only scratches him.. luckily no one can hear him now. This is the one that got jane (floater doing his floaty thing around 2nd level near the house wall), Helen - who has pretty much been asleep insomeones bed decides she might as well join in and gets a LoF on it - knocking it down from range with a burst of her laser. (Aliens Turn - Plasma fired at a civvie behind my lines though - guess a floater flanked me by going over the roof i think.)

Turn 15

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_006-4.png

Tatyana spots it near the door of the house and hits it with 1 shot from her burst fire, but it only laughs at her.

Turn 16

Units converge on this floater - hoping it is the last. Igor primes and throws a nade into the hallway where it moved into and grenade explodes killing it. (Aliens Turn - Floater engineer is spotted going berserk in the NW)

Turn 17-18

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_007-4.png

Everyone moves to intercept the engineer during 17 and it panics. Yoko and Shigeru both hit it once each (laser and plasma) but it doesnt die, At this point helen yawns and pulls the trigger by complete accident catching the alien right between the eyes - melting its head like some freaky ass purple candle. Thus ending the pistol crews day out in london

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_001-5.png

Not a good score at all, exp for the troops but stupid civvies couldnt keep themselves alive, and with a wall of aliens inbetween me and most of the corpses i found - i guess i had nochance to save em :(

Save for the next commander :) - GAME_1.zip

p.s Igor was the star of the show 4 kills, a bit of scouting and a wound that is gonna take a week to scab over ^^

Research proceeded on the Mind Probe. I considered changing to something rather more useful, but decided we had so few scientists that it wouldn't really matter if I did. Instead I built another lab/living quarters module for Fort Cannon.

Checked on Gennadi Belov (the guy who got promoted during my last mission). Eight missions, zero kills! Now considering he was still at rookie status when he last hit the field, that's a lot of time spent at the back of the Skyranger... Slacker.

Someone sold all the corpses without starting their associated research projects. Not that it matters, 'cause I'll be surprised if any of those projects get done anyway, but I shipped the one Reaper corpse remaining to Cannon and moved it from the stores to the lab.

Built tons of power armor, just enough to provide all troops at Cannon with the stuff. Making yet more for the other bases. Perhaps the resources should be reserved for buying scientists, and perhaps later flying suits, but I wanted to have the engineers do something and couldn't think of much else that'd be relevant.

Brought troop numbers for the first three bases up to 20 apiece.

The living quarters module at the watch post completed, so I ordered ten troopers to man it. We never really decided how to equip them - I would've made them the blaster bomb exclusive base (let's face it, cheesy as it is, I know I want the chance to take out a horde of aliens using nothing but house-sized explosions, slim though it may be - these guys will probably never fight), but those won't be available for some time, so instead I went with vanilla rifles and grenades.

And so, frothing at the mouth with the idea of blowing things up in earnest, I finally commanded the team at Fireworks for the first time. Large scout. The landing zone was met with no opposition, so I simply flooded dudes out around the ramp.

ufomulti_bbturn07_01.png

A Muton appeared near the scout entrance, Grigoriy Rogulin shot at it (via reaction, if memory serves), and Lyudmila Ramonov finished it off during my own turn. Girl's got a decent accuracy stat on her. During the second alien turn, one died of a fatal wound - must've got blasted by the UFO power source, which was starting to spew smoke out from the edges of the craft.

ufomulti_bbturn07_02.png

I continued sending out troops, and ran some up to the craft door. It then occurred to me that a close range flank was a very bad idea where rockets were concerned. Clearly the solution was to unload the small rockets and switch to the larger ones, then run on in.

ufomulti_bbturn07_03.pngufomulti_bbturn07_04.png

Brett White went in first, found nothing. Ran over to a corner and got shot from an unseen foe. Whoops. The other guys fired some rockets in, but they didn't achieve much - there was already so much smoke, they didn't even add to that.

ufomulti_bbturn07_05.png

A Muton with a small launcher appeared outside the craft, giving the snipers something to do. I'd left one guy in the craft, Shigeo, who was busy throwing down more rockets from the equipment pile.

ufomulti_bbturn07_06.png

Rogulin decided to take another looksie into the UFO. Two Mutons! He shot the one at the back, to little effect. I think he got shot in return, but in any case he survived the action unscathed.

ufomulti_bbturn07_07.png

Yasuaki (over at the SkyRanger) sent one off at the far alien, missing horribly and smacking Henri (the guy still standing outside the UFO door) up the behind. No damage, somehow, but I'm sure my troopers were planning mutiny about this point, knowing full well what my plan for taking the enemy craft would be - and there was only a rated 30% chance of that shot working, too...

And yet I refused to allow myself to be deterred by experience, and so I had Yuri (the guy in blue next to Yasuaki) take another shot, this time at the alien closer to the door. A success, and Rogulin came out unscathed, too! Mwuhaha! Well, nearly, no fatal wounds at least. That's a "success", right?! :)

ufomulti_bbturn07_08.pngufomulti_bbturn07_09.pngufomulti_bbturn07_10.png

Alien turn, Rogulin got shot by the remaining visible alien. :) Went unconscious, and died nearly immediately after.

The snipers were getting antsy, and decided it'd be worth exploring the rest of the map too. Brett Blake nearly immediately spied an alien through a window.

Someone missed really badly while trying to shoot it, and some rookie who'd been moving forward to re-enforce Henri got detonated. Brett also got shot by the alien, bringing my death toll up to four thus far.

ufomulti_bbturn07_11.pngufomulti_bbturn07_12.pngufomulti_bbturn07_13.png

Someone panicked. Luckily it was just Shigeo, the unarmed guy in the 'Ranger (who'd been using both hands to throw rockets).

ufomulti_bbturn07_14.png

An alien jumped out of the UFO, and Yasuaki obligingly blew it up. "Gee, thanks a LOT!" yelled Henri, standing in a puddle of blood. "I didn't need that artery anyway!"

Having no medkits to tend his fatal wound, he was sent into the UFO to join the other corpses. His shot was ineffective at the one alien visible inside, and so it finished him off.

ufomulti_bbturn07_15.pngufomulti_bbturn07_16.pngufomulti_bbturn07_17.png

This, however, left the doorway free for Yasuaki to send another rocket through it.

ufomulti_bbturn07_18.pngufomulti_bbturn07_19.pngufomulti_bbturn07_20.png

GAME_1.rar

A quciky on the geo. Sold some stuff from the Fireworks and hired 5 soldiers there. Ordered some ammo for Fort cannon - no HE for AC, and very low for HC. Bought 50 of each AP and HE for bough guns and more smokes (got 6 only). Construction of HWD in watchpost begun.

Few hours later small scout appears on the radar near watchpost. Interceptor lunched and shot down somewhere in the jungle. Waited whole day for new ammo and send boys from fort cannon to do the job.

Skyranger arrived few hours later after the dawn. Location near SE corner.

First order was to rearm the Big Guns for HE ammo. At first turn smoke deployed in standard procedure. After that soldiers slowly exit the craft and we spot ufo just round the corner. Then Boris spots a muton. Though in intro our guys rock with AC, but in reality AC + muton = empty clip :P.

The cannonade begun and the alien was stunned.

post-7842-1304288760_thumb.png

On alien turn some muton exited UFO and was greeted by few HC-HE rounds. Probably shocked he did nothing. So we pepered him more.

post-7842-1304288845_thumb.png

The team tries to do some formation but each turn a muton pops out and to bring this bastard down we need plenty of ammo (mostly becasue of the misses). Next turn Andrea spots another muton just west of our position and he is blasted to hell as well.

post-7842-1304288967_thumb.png post-7842-1304288971_thumb.png

Next turn Shuji is under attack - 1 shot missed, 1 shot hit - luckly PA did its job - no damage done. This turn we are facing to the north. And again they are blasted to bits - almost whole team needed - again due to misses.

post-7842-1304289081_thumb.png post-7842-1304289085_thumb.png

Finally some peace so I can arrange some formations and spread man to search for more mutons. Entering UFO we spot Muton in the cockpit area. Few HE rounds stuns him. On the NW side Kenji spots another muton. He is too blasted to death

post-7842-1304289216_thumb.png post-7842-1304289220_thumb.png post-7842-1304289223_thumb.png

Following turns Marielle spots muton in the SW part of the map. Unfortunetly most of the team can't shoot at him so the alien survives for few more turns.

post-7842-1304289318_thumb.png

I try to corner him but he manages to kill Kenji and Andrea with his plasma rifle. This made me sad - it was going to be a perfect mission - but Nooo we can't allow X-Com to have flawless victories. You know sometimes I wonder if the armor is worth it. Most of the times I see that even being hit in the most armored part of body you mostly get killed.

While I was chasing this last bastard two of the stunned mutons tried to escape me, but they didn't had any chance of success.

post-7842-1304289533_thumb.png

I forgot to take the screen of AAR, but the score was OK (though I took those deaths personaly).

GAME_1.rar

Geoscape Segment:

First step is shift captured loot at the various bases to the bases that specialise in the respective weapons, and sell off stuff we don't need. This doesn't raise a lot of cash.

Once the last batch of power suits are ready, I commission 10 more. I send two power suits over to Orchard.

geoscape_000.png

The Fireworks interceptor launches when a very small UFO is spotted flying away from the base. However the small scout is too fast and the Fireworks Interceptor falls behind. As the UFO nears Orchard, the Orchard interceptor takes over. The UFO speeds away on its western heading and bounces around once it nears the coast.

While twiddling my thumbs at my desk watching the interception take place on the big screen, one of the staff sidles up to me and whispers something in my ear - which promptly turns beetroot red.

It was the Orchard Skyranger that launched. This slight oversight is quickly rectified - luckily it was early into the launch and the UFO's heading back to Orchard.

On contact the UFO evades the first Avalanche volley by escaping at the last moment. Once out of intercept range, the UFO turns north and start flying at very high speed and vanishes once it reaches the vertex that marks the exact north most point of the globe. The interceptor is sent home.

geoscape_001.png

Later that evening another very small UFO is spotted near Fireworks. Fireworks' interceptor goes for it.

During the interception a breakthrough in the labs has the Mind Probe available for use. Research then concentrate on the Flying Suit. Mind probes at all three assault bases are put onto their respective Skyrangers.

A double strike with Avalanches destroy the small scout.

A few days later the Power Suit batch is completed. Half of them are then shipped to Fireworks. Manufacture then starts working on 20 suits of Personal Armour. With the Flying Suits being researched, we may as well conserve the exotic materials and concentrate on the mass production armour for now.

Several more days pass and Orchard's Hyperwave decoder is completed. The old Large Radar is taken down. As the HWD is built off the Small Radar, it's left where it is.

geoscape_002.png

Watchpost-1 spots a Small UFO. Moments after the Watchpost Interceptor leaves to attack, the Orchard HWD picks up a Muton Terror Ship on an infiltration mission to South America. It's flying in from Africa.

Watchpost-1's interceptor knocks down the Large Scout with two well placed Avalanche missiles. It then bears towards the Terror Ship.

Fort. Cannon's Interceptor heads out to assist with the Terror Ship takedown while Orchard's Skyranger plots a course for South America.

Watchpost-1's interceptor makes contact with the Terror Ship and starts its attack right away. One volley of missiles hit, the second miss. Now out of ammo Watchpost's interceptor returns to base.

The Fort. Cannon interceptor gets into firing range and fires all of its missiles and takes down the Terror Ship.

The Orchard Skyranger arrives with the dawn and touches down by the Terror Ship.

Tactical

Equipment is shuffled about accordingly.

Turn 1

tactical_001.pngtactical_000.png

The Skyranger's landed in jungle terrain and is pinned between the western edge of the map and the Terror Ship. Just to the undergrowth to the north there is a Muton soldier and a Celatid.

Now not to get into a repeat performance of what happened last time, I concentrate on getting the smoke grenades deployed. Also unusual for me, I'm having one dropped inside the Skyranger as well as at the base of the ramp. Lucky for me the Muton's not looking straight into the Skyranger, so it doesn't react to one of the smoke grenades being thrown out the back. To be on the safe side the one inside the Skyranger is simply dropped to the ground rather than thrown.

Soldiers in the middle of the Skyranger prime their grenades. A risky move to be making at this stage, but will be useful.

Turn ends.

The smoke grenades worked, no attacks into the Skyranger. Door noises in the Terror Ship.

Turn 2

Bad side effect of all the smoke is the enemies to the north are obscured as well.

tactical_002.png

(There are two Mutons in the above screenshot)

Marc Luget drops down the east side of the ramp and something from behind flies past him. When he gets off to the side a Muton is spotted near the forward landing gear. Helga Brehme puts the Mind Probe to use and discovers it's a Muton Soldier and it can no longer fire back. Hefty health on the thing though.

Scott Sharpe descends the west side of the ramp and spots another Muton past the front landing gear. Helga passes the Mind Probe to Emile Gaudin. The new target is identified as a Muton Navigator. Can't fire back either.

Scott kneels and fires a Plasma Pistol burst into the nearest Muton. Two of three rounds hit. Marc steps outs and does two bursts with his laser pistol. Only a few rounds hit but this kills the Muton. Both back up into the smoke behind them as best they can.

Jean Bussiou steps off the west side of the ramp, kneels and fires a burst from his plasma pistol. Two rounds hit.

Norris Krumpet (distant relative of the late Norton Kr

tactical_003.png

tactical_004.png

tactical_005.png

tactical_006.png

tactical_007.png

tactical_008.png

tactical_009.png

tactical_010.png

tactical_011.png

tactical_012.png

tactical_013.png

tactical_014.png

tactical_015.png

tactical_016.png

tactical_017.png

tactical_018.png

tactical_019.png

tactical_020.png

tactical_021.png

tactical_022.png

tactical_023.png

tactical_024.png

tactical_026.png

geoscape_003.png

GAME_1.zip

Ok I'm back in the saddle and only one mission behind my usual placing!

I start off the save game with a downed USO in South America and the Orchard ranger heading home to refuel so my options are to engage immediately with either Fort.Cannon or Fireworks' Rangers or wait for something more interesting to happen...

With my Avatar residing in the North American base, Fort Cannon, and plenty of daylight hours left to burn, I decide to launch immediately and make this mission nice and swift! I put Colonel Munty in charge of the mission (leaving Commander Stefan at home so as not to be outranked!) and take all 4 healthy squaddies with me. The remainder of the team consists of Captains and Sergeants so it should be a breeze with this much experience at hand!

The Ranger retains it's starting equipment and we launch before Orchard's transport even arrives home, landing mere minutes after it returns. The heavy Canoneers drop some spare ammo and we launch the mission quickly having landed in the southwest of a farm with excellent visibility. The large scout is directly beside us but we'll have to flank the craft to reach the entrance.

Mission7_01.jpg

Boris Belov and Marielle Guerin quickly descend the ramp with their heavy cannons and immediately run into an almost invisible foe!

Mission7_02.jpg

Marielle misses the only shot available to her and reveals an AP clip is loaded into her weapon. Not good against Mutons!!! Boris has the same problem but can't reload right now so he lances an AP bolt into the Muton's back, prompting some reaction fire that goes wide.

A quick loadout check reveals everyone has AP ammo loaded so the 8 troops in the rear of the craft switch over while the remaining 4 up front argue about who should go out next. Robert Smith reluctantly exits and manages one hit with similarly ineffective AP fire. Tatanya misses twice and is followed by 2 hits from Klaus Meyer's autoshot. Another snapshot still fails to annoy the Muton as it continues glaring back at a nicely huddled squad of commies.

Shigeru is the last troop to exit the craft but despite his eagerness he finds himself unable to squeeze off a single shot and so flees slightly to spread out the group! Sadly he spots another Muton by the UFO with a plasma rifle, rather increasing the sense of doom felt by much of the squad at this point... The turn ends with 6 troopers just waiting to be naded into oblivion and sadly the turn must end here...

Mission7_03.jpg

Miraculously, the alien turn passes by without a single casualty, though a rather unpleasant odour can now be detected around the ramp... The Muton in the West runs to the North without so much as a single shot and the one by the saucer, well I don't really know... A grenade went off between him and the ramp but if it was him that threw it he sucks! A 3rd alien was spotted in a distand barn but although he fired once, it missed everyone. Boris Belov is nearest to the grenade and suffers some bleeding and 3 fatal wounds. Noone else is wounded.

Robert Smith sacrifices some TUs to reload his heavy cannon with HE rounds and squeezes off just one at the eastern foe. Marielle Guerin does the same and the Muton suffers a second direct hit from HE ammo. Tatanya is the third heavy cannon to switch ammo but the long shot only hits the UFO behind our little green friend. Boris is now blocking LoF for 2 more troops so he retreats into the Ranger to be healed by Olga Korkia. Boris regains a lot of health and sheds 3 fatal wounds from his torso.

Shigeru Iwahara now debates his next move as he's in sight of 3 Mutons (though can only see 2 of them himself) He has an autocannon loading AP rounds but if he reloads and fires he'll be left in the open for target practice on all sides. A quick reload leaves him with just 32 TUs and he decides to fall back for now, heading for the landing gear but never quite reaching cover. Klaus Meyer is the last troop to act and he too reloads his Autocannon with HE rounds. He targets the now rather distant Muton in the NW but manages to hit the wall between them with all 3 shots.

Half of the troops now back inside the ranger and everyone packing HE rounds, the next end turn is less tense but the LZ is still smoking hot! Speaking of which we now have limited cover thanks to the HE rounds fired at our eastern target.

The alien turn sees the smoked out foe head to the east of his saucer while a shot from the northern enemy takes half of Klaus' health from him and introduces one fatal wound. Shigeru patches him up but he remains at half healthwith mild concussion. An aimed shot from Klaus is useless while Tatyana manages a direct hit with her heavy cannon. The Muton still hasn't suffered enough damage to go down though so medic Shigeru lays down some autofire in the general direction of their opposition. He sucks...

Robert Smith now pokes his head out of the ranger for an assist and an aimed shot from her heavy cannon is finally enough to kill the first enemy trooper! In the next alien turn another shot is fired but I didn't see where from as it burst through the smoke. My guess is the barn again but time will tell!

With really rubbish weapons to fight Mutons, I get some more of the autocannons to come forward to give us more potential firepower each turn. Shigeru moves to the south edge of the map in a UFO flanking maneouvre but as Klaus moves to join him we spot the injured Muton from the last turn again. As Robert descends the ramp to try and chalk up a second kill we spot a furthe muton to the North. Tatyana risks two snap shots over one aimed but sadly both fly clear off the map. Robert takes a snap shot at the eastern alien and it's another good hit but reaction fire from the north shows our newest contact has a small launcher. Noone goes down though so he takes another shot and kills the rifle wielding enemy!

Mission7_04.jpg

Klaus now finishes his move to rejoin Shigeru and Boris moves inside the ranger to lay down some fire on the remaining visible foe. He misses but also in doing so reveals the fact that he never had a chance to change ammo due to his injuries! Marielle Guerin replaces him and hits the enemy with an HE round from her heavy cannon. My autocannon reinforcements remain trapped by the heavies and so we end the turn facing down the last enemy.

The next alien turn sees a Muton to the south of the UFO launching a counter-flanking operation but although he fires on Klaus and Shigeru he misses twice. There is another explosion further north but I think it was another stunbomb as there's no new damage to the terrain in the area where it occurred.

A quick move south by Shigeru reveals his would-be killer and 4 hits from two autoshots knockes it unconscious! Klaus moves further round the craft to support him next turn and they hold there to end the turn.

Mission7_05.jpg

Before we turnover however we need to relocate our northern foe as he's no longer visible to our troops. Robert Smith pulls recon duty and finds it after just 2 steps, unmoved but shrouded in smoke. He lets off an aimed shot but it goes wide and strands him in the open. Boris takes another shot before realising AP is STILL loaded and spends the remainder of the turn rectifying this. Tatanya is last to fire outside and scores a direct hit but with no effect. Marielle Guerin takes the final shot from just inside the Ranger and kills the last visible Muton.

Mission7_06.jpg

NExt alien turn we see nothing but we do get a bit of door action inside the saucer. Shigeru and Klaus continue moving around the UFO and spy an orchard on the eastern fringe of the arena while a Northward move by Robert quickly locates anotehr Muton just behind the one Marielle took care of last turn.

Mission7_07.jpg

Robert has 46 TUs left to engage but knows the beast won't fall with just one soldier and he's right in the LoF for troops back at the ranger. A quick sidestep prompts reaction fire which destroys a nearby wall but opens up the gap for sniper fire. Boris Belov makes the first hit this time, finally sporting the necessary HE rounds to take the monsters out!

Marielle misses this turn and finally leaves the ranger soon after to be replaced with Olga Korkia's autocannon. She surprisingly hits with one shot out of 6 which isn't too bad considering the distance but of course it's not enough... Shuji moves up to follow suit and hits with 2/3 of his shots, knocking the monster out and destroying the corpse Marielle produced last turn.

Mission7_08.jpg

With 5 Mutons confirmed OOA and only a little door opening occurring inside the ship, we don't really know how much more resistance to expect. We continue to spread out cautiously regardless and soon reach the northern edge of the map with Robert and Tatyana leading the movement.

Shigeru and Klaus are now dangerously close to the scout's hatch and still flanked by a gloomy looking orchard but Boris, Shuji and Marielle are on their way to the north of the UFO to hook up in the east. The central barn still hasn't been explored but there haven't been any further shots taken from it's window either... Further movement reveals another Muton very close to it but the troops should be safe from it in until next turn...

Mission7_09.jpg

As hoped there is no visible enemy movement in the alien turn but Robert and Tatyana fail to relocate the alien from their northern position so the central trio must try themselves... Shuji steps around the corner and spots their enemy in the same position. It won't be easy to score a Line of Fire with the fiend but this at least works both ways!

Shuji and Boris hug the back wall of the barn while Marielle hangs back in a support role. Further South, Shigeru risks peeking around the front of the UFO to see if they can fire and realises they probably can... Both troops lay down disastrously inaccurate autoshots with only one hit but maybe they can draw the foe south at the very least. The smoke produced will give it some unwanted cover sadly...

Mission7_10.jpg

Next turn Shigeru can't relocate the target thanks to his own smoke but Shuji in the north spies him through a window. reaction fire almost takes his helmet off but it clips the wall beside him instead. He launches an autoshot from his cannon with at least one hit but reaction fire destroys the window he was using for cover! Antoehr shot and another hit with yet more reaction fire destroying more wall! Boris, confident that the alien is now exhausted, pokes his heavy cannon out to finish the job and a satisfying scream is soon heard as he hits it bang on!

Mission7_11.jpg

Some over-enthusiastic scouting in the north now lands Robert Smith in hot water as he spies a new hostile with only 10 TUs left! Tatyana has also exhausted herself and is behind him anyway. Noone is in a position to support him and so Shigeru attempts a full map shot which unsurprisingly misses (but not by much!) Klaus can only manage an autoshot and it predictably falls way short of hitting the intended target...

Amazingly our foes seem uninterested with engaging us directly today and the Muton walks towards the centre of the map instead of firing on Robert! Sadly, we've lost him in the trees now and we have no grenades to flush him out with... Tatyana can't relocate him and Robert is too nervous to move. He creeps forward a few tiles but spies nothing. Shuji emerges from behind the barn and spots the sneaky Muton hiding from Robert behind a tree! He radios in the contact...

Mission7_12.jpg

An autoshot from Shuji clears the trees and leaves Robert free for 2 shots, though sadly ammunition limits him to one... He falls back, as does Tatyana. Boris attempts a shot but misses and all the troops attempt to find new cover to end the turn.

Sadly, the Muton decides to fire this turn and Robert is killed immediately from a direct hit in the back. Tatyana's attempts at revenge suck as she destroys a small section of wall but an autoshot from Shuji succeed in knocking it out!

Mission7_13.jpg

Now up to 7 kills, I'm confident the farm is clear so the troops finish off their cordon and then move to the UFO. No sooner do Klaus and Shigeru take up breahing positions however than a Muton emerges in the alien turn! Thankfully they have TUs enough to shoot it twice and then I lose track. It seemed to disappear but in the next turn there is still an armed alien in said doorway. Shigeru is outr of ammo but Boris is approaching from the North to support them.

Mission7_14.jpg

Klaus uses his last 3 shots very wisely and kills the lone soldier with a perfect burst of HE power! Both troops then reload and the remaining troops begin to converge on the hatch. Both members of the original breaching team are now loaded with AP ammo but Marielle and Boris are here to provide heavy support now. The turn ends with more movement inside the UFO and I begin contemplating a breach on Muton troopers with HE weapons...

As Munty and Olga make their way to form a spearhead, Tatyana and Shuji also arrive from the North. By turn 17 things are looking grim for the aliens and I prepare my avatar to enter hell. There are plenty of troops for support but the situation is not very HE-friendly as we discovered with BombBloke's last foray into an identical breach!

Mission7_15.jpg

I regret the use of my avatar as we immediately spot 2 mutons inside looking right at me... Knowing that flight will lead to a bullet in the back I lay down some autofire on the nearest ofe and miss badly! I count between 4 and 6 rounds of reaction fire and risk a hasty withdrawal, hoping they're all fired out! Amazingly the extraction is a success and there was no damage received from the onslaught! (presumably they all missed)

Mission7_16.jpg

Olga is next to take an autoshot through the door and again it's abysmal with only one hit. No reaction fire again convinces me that they're all exhausted so the troops line up for pot shots. 2 heavy cannon hits fail to take down the injured alien and it's Klaus who finally kills our first target with an AP autoshot! Happy to be alive, the troops fall back again to end the turn (though lack of TUs means they only fallback about 1 tile each!

Feeling left out, Shigeru attempt to take a shot but has no TUs when he makes it to the hatch! The alien turn sees an internal door opening but nothing else. Feeling lucky to be alive, I give my avatar a break and send Olga in for the second round. Joyously she spots another 2 enemies by the nav-stations and promptly soils herself!

Mission7_17.jpg

With her autoshot leaving much to be desired she is instantly despatched by one of several shots of reaction fire. Boris and Marielle are next up and both manage to miss with their heavy cannons, destroying valuable alien technology instead. Munty being the last trooper armed with HE rounds, I take my shots and leave both still standing after 3 good hits. Risking a second burst I'm overjoyed to knock out both remaining troops on the first shot!

Mission7_18.jpg

With 12 dead Mutons surrounding my troops I'm confused when the game continues but apparently we've missed one so we head into the UFO again. All of the unconscious aliens are unmoved so I tread carefully, expecting anotehr armed foe. We don't have to go far to find the last enemy and my avatar quickly makes a run for it with his HE armed weapon!

Mission7_19.jpg

Shigeru, Klaus and Shuji manage to pierce the monster with no less than 12 bolts with no positive outcome. This is tragic as I was well aware that giving Shuji a second autoshot would leave no TUs for escape. We have no choice but to end the turn and hope for the best...

Thanks the Gods for berserk!!!

A final autoshot from Shuji seals this monsters fate but it's only unconscious. Worse still the game doesn't end as another creep in the north is now awake again! It prompts some reaction fire but the single round of AP ammo misses it and it flees north.

As we now face shooting unarmed troops I decide to rack it up for myself and Munty heads to intercept. It's unmoved next turn and I delight in killing it with a single snapshot once the distance is somewhat closed.

Mission7_20.jpg

The mission ends now with no more creatures deciding to come round. 10 killed, 2 stunned and one DOA. Felt like more but still I'm happy with that for going up against Muties wielding cannons!

Mission7_21.jpg

Here's the save for whoever's next.

GAME_1.zip

Short and sweet from me ^^

Geoscape :-

HWD completed in fort cannon, and i ship off 7 power suits to the orchard base, and Pat is given a transfer from the firework base to the orchard one. Teaming up with "Maddog" Igor.

Ufo - 65 is sighted to the north of orchard (HWD shows it is a Medium scout, crewed by the most vicious floaters that ever existed.... possibly.. and they are on an abduction mission). Intercepter 5 is dispatched and 2 volleys of avalanchey goodness knock it out of the sky.

10 men from orchard and various nades pistols and the likes are loaded onto the ranger and are sent out on cleanup duty (2 rookies are brought along)

Tactical :-

Turn 1

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_000-5.png

Rangers exit is near the northern edge of the map and we have a floater directly ahead with its back turned. Rookie Vlad is ordered to shoot it, he obliges by planting a laser shot intoits back but it just turns and fires blindly into the skyranger, quick check reveals no one was hurt but everyone is slightly pissed off. Scott takes a knee and puts 2 9mm rounds into its chest and takes it out. Smoke is deployed at the base of the ramp.

Turn 2

Everyone starts deploying left and right in the smoke, rookie Gerard something-or-other is sent to the NW edge of the smoke cloud and is hit in the chest by heavy plasma, melting his personal armour and killing him quite effectively.. poor guy. Igor tries 2 bursts from near the ramp but all 6 laser shots miss. (Aliens Turn - Shot is fired from the south hitting Shigeru but his armour holds and he has no damage)

Turn 3

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_001-5.png

Shigeru sights the floater that shot him near the downed ufo, but retreats and Pat throws a grenade under it. Helen moves to the edge of the cloud where gerard was killed and spots the murdering floater SW of its previous position, Yoko and "Maddog" both hit it with aimed laser pistol shots and igor claims the kill (Aliens Turn - Grenade kills and vaporises the floater near the ufo wall. Another floater is spotted to the west of the ranger near a house)

Turn 4

Helen sights the western floater and decides to take it down but misses and is killed instantly by the heavy plasma reaction shot (front armour of the power suit must have been faulty :) ), Yoko avenges her instantly with an aimed laser pistol shot to its fugly face. Scott and Pat head for the ufo

Turn 5

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_002-6.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_003-6.png

Igor is sent to the NW farmhouse and Shigeru is ordered to the S one, while Scott and Pat cover the entrance to the ufo.

Turn 6

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_004-6.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_005-6.png

Scott enters and spots 3 floaters and an intact power source (intercepter pilots did a great job in downing this craft with minimal damage- and also minimal casualties on the aliens side though :P). Jean probes the one in front of him and reveals it only has a few TU's left, Scott double taps it with 2 snaps and it drops to the floor revealing another floater right behind it also facing away, Scott retreats out of the ufo allowing Pat to charge in with his plasma pistol. However he only takes out 1 floater with 2 bursts and has to retreat too. Meanwhile up in the NW house "Maddog" heads on up to the 2nd floor and has a floater staring directly at him, one quick burst of his laser pistol and he is alone again.

Turn 7

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/tactical_006-5.png

Pat heads into the ufo first this tie and spots the 2 remaining floaters inside, with one directly in front of him, burst fire destroys the one in front of him and a lovely snap shot takes out the other.

Thus ending the mission :)

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/XCOM/geoscape_000-6.png

2 Casualties put a bit of a downer on the mission, however one was just a rookie in crap armour but the loss of helen and her power suit is a bit hard to swallow.

Save for the next commander - GAME_1.zip

I had a good long go in the Geoscape this time, took me a while to snag a mission...

Sold stuff, moved all new research projects to Cannon, and initiated them. Also hired more soldiers, bringing all bases up to 20 each (with the exception of the listening post, which is stuck with ten).

Found Orchard to have six laser pistols in stock. Allowed production of the next personal armour suit to complete, then shifted work to more lasers.

Found a Muton infiltration battleship hurtling off towards our dedicated listening post. Sent Orchard's ranger after it, and though it landed nearby, it was night and I didn't fancy such a battle without decent equipment (two plasma clips, six laser pistols, and not much armour on board).

Scouted the area and located another alien base.

ufomulti_bbturn08_01.png

By the time laser production completed, we'd finished flying suit research (now working on heavy plasma, aiming for ship weapons) - but with only one unit of elerium in stock, I wasn't able to make any. Decided to kit out all the bases with medkits instead, and spread the armour around too (Cannon still has all the good stuff).

Located a Muton terror ship! Didn't manage to catch it, but luckily it was just scouting around the place at random and didn't land.

Finally caught a medium Floater scout, at night. Finished up medkit production, ordered 50 more scientists for Cannon (they should arrive next month, by which time the new lab will be ready for them), and started making more armour. Then sent off the Orchard crew.

Forest terrain, starting in the NW corner. Found this sucker and, after offloading half my crew, eventually shot it to death. No return fire.

ufomulti_bbturn08_02.png

The alien turn went by in a snap, and I quickly found this in the SW corner:

ufomulti_bbturn08_03.png

An Igor Korkia went scouting, and all was going well until I misclicked and moved him forward when I meant to go back. He got shot as a result, leaving him with 14hp and three fatal wounds.

ufomulti_bbturn08_04.png

The alien promptly died, but it wasn't the last and so he was sent back to the 'Ranger for medical attention, and Yoko Tanikawa took over scouting duty. All four aliens dead by about turn six, though the hills made sniping a little difficult.

ufomulti_bbturn08_05.pngufomulti_bbturn08_06.png

GAME_1.rar

Geoscope part: removed some not wanted anymore radars from fireworks and Fort.Cannon. It looks like someone put HWD in very wrong place in orchard. Added Living quarters to Fireworks and alien containment for all 3 bases. Sold unwanted stuff from fireworks and made a transfer from orchard to fireworks to replace 2 very weak (STR) soldiers in fireworks - 20 is not enough for these dudes. In Fort Cannon I also made one of soldiers my personal Avatar - he is now called (ekhm) Loopy McGoopin (I wonder how many of you finds out from where it came).

Also I realize that aliens have base in south america ( I don't remember reading that part). For the rest of the month nothing came. The monthly report is execlent in one condition. Brasil has signed a pact with aliens. And to think we have a base there - the bastards.

post-7842-1305301444_thumb.png

Later next month a very small ufo appeared over Europe. Decoder warns us that it is Alien Retalation over North Africa. Interceptor from Orchard lunched ASAP. The bugger evaded us quite a while but was finally destroyed over Western Affrica desert (it toook 6 avalanche missiles to kill it - for christ sake we need that plasma beams).

Few days later a snakmen small scout appears over USA with Terror Mission somewhere in Europe. Interceptor from Fort Cannon lunched, but the UFO is too fast to catch it. When over atlantic Interceptor from Orchard lunched, the UFO still proves difficult to catch, but was finally down somewhere over the Africas desert.

Meanwhile a Lab was built in fort cannon and 50 scientists arrive and are put to speed up the heavy plasma project.

Having prepared Skyranger in Fireworks, soldiers arrive at the crash site.

The action for our men begun at first moment. A snakeman is spoted in front of us. Because captain Grigoriy is holding smoke, Leon is privilaged to do the honors and snipe blasts it.

post-7842-1305301902_thumb.png post-7842-1305301906_thumb.png

Then standard LZ securing procedure begun, smokes deployed in and outside of skyranger.

Next turn another snakeman crawls under the ramp and was blasted by captain G.

post-7842-1305301992_thumb.png

Next turn.

Leon exits transport and we know that we are at SE corner - no aliens in that direction. On the other side captain G. spots snakeman, he tries to aim for him but misses. Snakeman retaliates and inflicts minor wound - luckly those medi-kits arrived. So Shigeru assists Grigoriy and delivers a rocket in the bastard face sarcasticly saying 'Probe this M*****F****'. Captains wound is tended.

post-7842-1305302206_thumb.png post-7842-1305302215_thumb.png

Nothing more is happening so troops spread out and slowly move to the UFO. Inside shigeo spots a snakeman, he quickly moves out of the way and Shigeru blasts him sky-high (destroying everything else inside).

post-7842-1305302210_thumb.png

Not much of a mission but...

post-7842-1305302295_thumb.png

GAME_1.rar

Back in sequence again the first thing I realise is that the date in our UFO game is almost identical to that of our TFTD one right now. Having just started August in both games is a bit crazy considering how much longer the TFTD one has been running!

Anyway onto the gameand it seems I may be extended some fun this time. The first alien activity we detect is a Muton Terror ship in South East Asia. It puts up a fight as if dashes Eastwards over fireworks and does a little dance over Japan. Interceptor 4 manages to intercept it as it moves back over Russia and hits with 2 volleys of Avalanches, the UFO pulls away before the third can finish it off though... Luckily Interceptor 5 is already on the way from Europe and it soon catches the thing over Eastern Russia. One more volley is enough to drop it but sadly it lands in the drink so perhaps I won't enjoy an interesting mission after all...

Either way we've just managed to avoid a Terror site so that's always a good thing! Orchard let's us know that we're out of Avalanche missiles there but with just a touch over

GAME_1.zip

Mission9_01.jpg

Mission9_02.jpg

Mission9_03.jpg

Mission9_04.jpg

Mission9_05.jpg

Mission9_06.jpg

Mission9_07.jpg

Mission9_08.jpg

Mission9_09.jpg

Mission9_10.jpg

Mission9_11.jpg

Geoscape Segment:

One of the first things I do when I start is realise that we now have access to motion scanners. Finally! After doing a small silly dance of joy, I drop the current personal armour project down to the last suit that's currently in production. I decide 3 will be a nice number of scanners to build. One for each assault base. A wonderful tool for deployment, raiding small buildings and breaching UFOs. Can't believe how many months it has taken just to get one despite our scientists having a lot of time on their hands (compared to the TFTD game, that is).

After that the usual round of housekeeping matters are attended to. Stuff we don't need from each base are sold in sequence, then stuff are shipped out to bases that do need them.

Orchard hires a new soldier to replace the one recently fallen in battle.

As Orchard is better equipped with superior armour, Fort. Cannon ships 8 suits of personal armour over to Fireworks to kit those without any.

Two sergeants and a gaggle of rookies and Squaddies are assigned or reassigned to the Fireworks Skyranger. While looking through the list of rookies who have not attended any missions so far, yet another of the unlucky Krumpets is found amongst them. This time a Norm. Wonder how many turns this one will last this time?

When Fort. Cannon's interceptor reports it needs to head back, the Orchard team suddenly decide to take some time off and they put in a request to go for a trip to Greenland. Everyone climbs onto the Skyranger carrying picnic baskets and a rather superfluous chilly bin.

geoscape_000.png

Mere moments after the Orchard Skyranger heads off, a Muton Small Scout is spotted over their intended destination, looking to find a new building site. Must be the same one The Veteran was tailing earlier. The Orchard team's day off is canceled and they turn for home despondently. As Fort. Cannon's interceptor just got home, Orchard launches its Interceptor instead.

Just as the interceptor launches the UFO drops off radar. It heads over to its last position anyway.

Minutes later a flurry of activity occurs. The motion scanners I ordered are completed. The researchers are completed on the Heavy Plasma Clip research. This opens up the craft Plasma Cannon, which they pursue before I've even given the word.

Production moves onto building 8 laser pistols, which will be finished in 24 hours. Orchard are in need of some spares, even if there are plenty on their Skyranger.

Motion scanners are distributed to the assault bases. And what do you know, I see Orchard and Fireworks actually have quite a nice stockpile of elerium in their stores. Jackpot! I only shipped weapons to the necessary bases, I didn't think to look at UFO components and elerium. This'll be just what we need for the flying suits and plasma cannons.

geoscape_001.png

The very small UFO is reacquired. However, not once, but twice, the small scout evades the avalanche missiles just moments before they strike. It finally lands in the polar cap, with the Orchard interceptor stuck over with its fuel gauge nearly at the bingo point. Sure enough fuel hits 50%, and it turns back. The small scout makes a break for it at this time and vanishes off radar.

geoscape_003.png

A floater medium scout is shortly spotted flying over Watchpost. It's bearing for Africa on an alien retaliation mission. The Watchpost Interceptor immediately launches. The warm up time gives the UFO a head start and the interceptor shortly loses it over the sea. Instead of just patrolling its last known position, the interceptor heads into deepest Africa.

The Orchard HWD quickly picks up the UFO over Kinshasa. The Watchpost Interceptor resumes chasing it.

geoscape_005.png

Moments before the interceptor shoots down the medium scout (that shot is after), that blasted Muton Scout that has been evading us (same number) re-appears flying into Europe.

At this time the Orchard interceptor's still refueling and the Watchpost interceptor is the only one in the area that can attend to it. It complains that it is running on fumes but still attempts to attack the small scout. The two ships manage to meet up in Egypt. However the small scout is already flying at such a speed and all the interceptor can do is keep pace with it. Half way to Lagos, the interceptor is forced to turn back home and the tiny saucer escapes into space.

There is a delayed launch from the Fireworks Skyranger as Norm Krumpet insists that they wait the 1 hour for the motion scanner to arrive. Either way even if they launched now the Skyranger would've arrived in darkness. We've got flares, but it's always better to fight in daylight.

With Orchard's new surplus laser pistols ready, and the Elerium finally arriving in Fort. Cannon's stores, 20 Flying Suits are ordered. We'll probably have to reduce the batch when the plasma cannon's are ready as 20 suits will take a good part of 13 days to complete.

While waiting for dawn to arrive, I have a look at Watchpost's setup and notice we have some unneeded radars installed. I decide to knock out the old small radar and plug it with general stores. Low rent, nigh indestructible, and quick to build. Once that's out of the way we can knock down the old large radar.

Dawn arrives, and the Fireworks team get ready to party.

Tactical Segment

Since almost everyone on board are on their first or second sortie, I decide to be realistic with my expectations. Therefore the first thing I have everyone do is lighten their loadsby dropping one large rocket each. Also except for the two next to the ramp, most of them unload their launchers. Mainly as a precaution against hair-trigger soldiers in the event anything wanders past the ramp during the alien turn.

We do have two more troops than launchers. No matter, we've got more than enough to handle the medium scout.

Turn 1

We're off to a good start with no enemies visible from the ramp.

tactical_000.png

We've landed smack in the south-eastern corner. Perfect. At least, that what everyone was thinking until someone looked out the western windows to see a farm house nearby. You always have to treat them with care as you never know if it is occupied by hostile aliens.

Behind the house is a smoking wreck.

Marcel Leferve, the guy on the equipment pile is a little bogged down even with one less rocket. I have him drop one more. Marc Luget, betside him, tosses out the obligatory smoke grenade.

A quick weight check reveals most are fine, though one or two drop their medikits to lighten their load a little more. We've got plenty to go around so a few less medikits are fine.

Turn ends.

Turn 2

Marcel starts using his motion scanner to make sure there aren't any hostiles under the Skyranger, then drops down by the eastern landing gear. Marc Luget drops into the smoke at the base of the ramp. Though he has two rockets on hand, Helga Ulbricht picks up two more and sends them down to Marc.

Turn 3

Norm Krumpet and Leon Gaudin deploy.

Marcel gets up and walks to the corner of the farm house. On reaching it he sees a floater in the wreckage.

tactical_001.png

Oh dear. This is one of the hazards of working with the Fireworks team. Rockets and having one enemy surrounded in recoverable goods is never a good financial combination.

Since he can't attack it, Marcel gets behind the farmhouse wall.

Deciding that the safety of the team was of greater importance than the recoverable alien artifacts, the floater must go. But perhaps a small rocket would be useful for this one. Unfortunately all those outside are carrying the heavy duty variety. Helga loads her launcher with a small rocket and descends the ramp.

Not wanting to create too juicy a target for grenades, Marc temporarily abandons his rocket pile and heads to the eastern edge of the map. Norm spent all his TUs walking out this turn so he's stuck. Like his deceased distant cousins, at least he'll be a good distraction if need be.

Turn 4

Marcel relocates the floater - and curse it all - it moved into the middle of the corpses.

Helga fires and only hits the far wall, destroying a corpse. Norm does nothing but arm his launcher, saving his shot for later. Marc - dear Marc - destroys everything in the small scout. Everything. *Sigh*.

Turn 5

Marcel does a scan of the farm house and nothing's moved. He stays outside while Leon ventures into the foyer. Norm and Helga advance in the direction of the UFO in the smoke cloud. Marc returns to his rocket pile, mainly with the intent to stay back and let the others have a chance, but to also provide long range support if needed.

Turn 6

Marcel does another scan of the farm house as he moves along the side towards the UFO. Trusting Marcel's scan, Leon heads upstairs.

Turn 7

tactical_002.png

Leon proceeds to the roof while Marcel, Helga and Norm inch over to the UFO. Man is it flat.

On scanning the map, through the orchards to the Medium Scout's north, there are two barns that might be worth investigating.

Norm, Helga and Marcel each only have two rockets each. Six in total. Probably more than enough, but Yasuaki Shimaoka exits the Skyranger to join them anyway.

Turn 8

Leon Gaudin has reached the roof - and what prime real estate this is. He has a view of the entire field from his elevated position.

Norm, Helga and Marcel steps into the wreckage. Marcel inspects the single floater corpse that was left after Marcel's attack. At the very least a plasma rifle will be recovered.

Turn 9

Yasuaki heads north into the stone fenced clearing to cover the east facing wall of the barn.

Norm walks through the wreckage and out the other side and has a look to the south to scan the garden behind the animal stalls. No enemies sighted.

tactical_003.png

Marcel pops out the other corner of the UFO and finds an enemy in the door of the north-western most barn house. None of the ground forces can shoot at it, but the roof-bound Leon Gaudin tempts fate. He loads his rocket launcher, drops his medikit, kneels and simply points in the general direction of the ground near the floater and ...

tactical_004.png

Misses by miles. To take advantage of this mistake, it could save time for when I clear out that barn later.

Marcel steps back behind the safety of the hedge. Norm's left his back wide open, but at least he's a long way away from the floater.

Turn ends.

Our floater friend seems to have fancied a sniper position as well, it floats up onto the damaged roof, leaving itself wide open for everyone in the field to attack it.

Turn 10

tactical_005.png

Marcel can see the floater from the start of the turn. He however takes a step back to get behind the safety of the remaining length of UFO hull to give Norm a wide berth. He's avatar material - so he needs to put some effort in. May as well start now. He kneels, he aims.

tactical_006.png

Norm gets that uneasy feeling as if he'd just kicked a puppy.

Rather than waste any more rockets unnecessarily, everyone decides to wait a bit and see if anything else pops up.

Turn 11

No one does, but the mission hasn't ended yet.

tactical_007.png

The now widely spread quartet start surrounding the two barns. Using the hedges for what little safety they provide from aerial targets (minimal at best), Marcel and Helga make their way through the orchard until they reach the far hedge. Norm gets off his laurels and starts heading north. Yasuaki continues north as well and stops just before the wheat field.

Turn ends.

There was another floater in the barn where the last one was first seen. It fires in (probably) Norm's direction but the shot only flies up into the air.

Turn 12

tactical_008.png tactical_009.png

Marcel detects the floater's movement - 7 North and 3 East from his immediate position. If I'm right, it's in the tile selected by the cursor in the second screen grab.

Sensing impending danger (from above and behind), Marcel quickly runs over to Helga to clear the way for Leon's rocket. Helga doesn't want to be where she is either, so she nips off across to the corner of the second barn. Leon fires and ...

tactical_010.png

How can he have possibly missed so badly? Leon's rocket, despite setting a target no where near Marcel, seems to home in on Marcel and explodes a few tiles away, ending his very brief career with a bang. Helga is very-very glad she moved when she did.

Leon decides now would be a very good time to stop trying to be helpful.

tactical_011.png

That feeling that he'd just kicked a puppy? Norm's well over it by now. Norm does a standing aimed shot and lands the rocket exactly where he points it. Despite his mid-range accuracy, he managed to hit the wall immediately opposite the hidden floater.

geoscape_006.png

The mission ends. Not a great mission thanks to the friendly fire, but considering it was a bunch of untested rookies operating very heavy ordinance, it could've turned out much worse! :P

Save for the next commander:

GAME_1.zip

- NKF

Ok its killing time again :P

Waited for ranger to land at its homebase then i had a quick scan of the bases and personnel, Noticed the laser pistols sitting in Fort Cannon and had then shipped off to Orchard. Elerium and Alloys from Fireworks sent over to Cannon and its team of greasemonkeys.

Decided to build a workshop at Orchard too

Few days ticked by and all of a sudden there was a flurry of activity in the siberian airspace. UFO - 78 (Large Scout, Floaters) was picked up first, Intercepter from fireworks sent out to catch it. No sooner had it departed the HWD picked up UFO -79 (Supply Ship, Floaters) buzzing around the same area and also UFO - 80 (Supply Ship, Floaters). Intercepters from Orchard and Cannon sent to intercept #80.

The large scout is downed by the fireworks intercepter in 2 volleys and is sent to put the last volley into #80 before heading back to base, Cannon`s intercepter just manages to reach the ufo and put 3 volleys into it before needing to go back and refuel and Orchards intercepter also smacks it a few times but it still flies on, it still buzzes around siberia/russia until the fireworks intercepter is rearmed and delivers the blow that finally knocks it out of the sky.

Ufo - 79 Disappeared over europe somewhere while i was concentrating on downing this ship.

I prep the Orchard ranger with some of the rookies and a few old hands (power suit and personal armour mix) along with Pat to lead them out. Also Fireworks living quarters is completed.

Ranger touches down near the downed Supply Ship

Tactical :- (Supply Ship crash site)

Turns 1-2

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_001.png

We have landed in the NW of the map with forest to the East and South - Smoke is thrown out of the back of the ranger and the troops deploy once the smoke is thick enough. (Alien Turn - Shot comes from the SE and punches through the front of Vlads suit and makes a large exit on the way out of the back splattering some unfortunate rookie with the veterans entrails)

Turn 3

Pat heads in the direction of the shot and spots the shooter, 2 troopers confirm LOF to the target and open fire. Neil Stewart misses 3/3 (aimed and 2 snap) but Tatyana Zhdan puts it out of action with an aimed shot, Troops move into the trees in the east, and a small squad heads SW. (Alien Turn - Floater spotted near a hill on the other side of the E forest)

Turn 4

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_002.png

Rookie Sarah primes a grenade but realises she is in the middle of a forest and the canopy is blocking the arc of the grenade so she hides behind a tree. Igor is leading the SW squad and he pushes ahead spotting a floater hiding near the ufo wall. Carl and Mariko fire 4 shots at it and Carls aimed shot is the only one that connects, but it falls without a scream (Alien Turn - Floater gets straight back up and the eastern floater just floats around a little not realising there are people in the forest hiding behind tree trunks)

Turn 5

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_003.png

Mariko kills the floater that got back up and Scott joins the W team and is able to scan the ufo - locating a lot of hostile blips. Neil gets a sight of the floater in the east and hides back behind his tree trunk, Sarah steps clear of the canopy and puts the primed nade right under it. Pat decides to push on and a floater takes a shot at him but it just glances off his power suit. Feeling slightly miffed that he got shot at he squeezes off a burst and kills it. (Alien Turn - Grenade vaporises the alien and also the corpse of the one pat killed)

Turn 6-7

Pat and his squad head down the eastern side of the ufo and encounter no more resistance before the cover the entrance, Igot and his squad do the same on the western side and take up positions to cover that door too.

Turn 8

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_004.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_005.png

Scott scans the ufo again and only a few blips are shown, Yataka Sato is sent in first through the western door and spots 2 floaters staring right back form across the destroyed interior. Pat rushes in through the other door to provide a cross fire but has problems of his own in the form of 2 floaters on that side too. Pat takes out the nearest floater to him with 2/3 from a burst of his plasma pistol and then retreats out. Yataka realises he is in a spot of bother and opens fire at the floaters hoping to score a multi kill with a burst but he manages to kill 1 but is killed in return by its friend.

Turn 9

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_006.png

Pat re-enters and spots another 2 floaters in front of him, In a fine display of marksmanship he takes them bothe down with a burst each and retreats outside again, his support team look on in awe. Igor steps through the other door and sights Yatakas killer, He fires 2 bursts at it and misses with all 6 but somehow manages to kill a floater that was hiding behind it :s, Igor however knows he can curve bullets so he isnt too shocked by this. Igor heads out and scott steps in to put down the floater with a burst of his own.

Turn 10

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_007.png

Both teams head inside and cover the lifts

Turn 11

Igor and Scott move up to level 2 and cover the doors, while Pat, Kenji and Sarah head up to the command level (Alien Turn - Igor and Scott are ambushed but recieve no damage and a floater knocks itself out while trying to fire upon Igor)

Turn 12

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_008.png

Igor exits the lift room and has a floater looking at him at point blank range, he swiss cheeses it with a laser burst and steps on its corpse to cover any counter attack from the unexplored part of this level. Top floor squad cover the doors.

Turn 13

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_009.png

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_010.png

Sarah spots an enemy on the top floor and the 2nd shot of her 3 round burst kills it, Pat enters through the door opposite the lift room and is blasted by plasma taking him to 12 health and 2 fatal wounds - he calmly turns and obliterates the offending eejit with plasma before exiting the room and calling for a medic. Kenji enters the room that pat just exited and covers the door. Scott and Igor report "all clear" on the 2nd floor.

Turn 14

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_011.png

Floater panicked and ran towards Sarahs position, She gets up close and personal with its purple head and executes it, Pat runs over to her and show her the holes in his arm, she is able to whip out her medkit and puts a plaster on one of the fatals.

Turn 15

Sarah finishes patching Pats wounds up and they both head towards the control room, Kenji is flanking down the other corridor.

Turn 16-17

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_012.png

Moving to the control room and floater leader panicked

Turn 18

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/tactical_013.png

Pat enters the control room and locates the leader with its arms raised, it garbles some garbage in its alien language that sounds suspiciously like "Parley". Pat just grins at it and drops ot with a burst then takes a seat in the command chair, "Not on my watch" he says.

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/han1604/geoscape_000.png

Save for the next Commander - GAME_1.zip

The scout Lysear blasted faded away before the SkyRanger made it back to base, but ah well, it still adds to our score. I had an Interceptor scout the area, but it didn't find anything nearby.

I replenished troop supplies, gave Munty one of the new flying suits, and shipped him off to Orchard. Ended up assigning it to some rookie later on... Whoops.

Ordered another lab/living quarters module for Cannon.

Found a very small Ethereal ship on an infiltration mission. Two Interceptors chased it around, but with no success.

Plasma beam research completed, and we've moved onto UFO construction. I allowed the techs to finish up their next Flying Suit, then put them to work making eight craft weapons. Shipped all the finished armour off to Fireworks - protective value aside, it's a lot harder to send a rocket sailing over an alien's shoulder when aiming at the ground.

Chased a Floater large scout around for a while. It was on a retailiation mission. Took me a while to work out that the Interceptor wasn't firing because it had no ammo. Heh.

During the chase, I got the message that we'd run out Elerium. And indeed we have! That leaves us with a grand total of two plasma beams, which I suppose is better then one (or even none). I sent one to Orchard and equipped the other onto the Cannon Interceptor (selling surplus missiles).

Started making some more personal armour, with the intention of sending it to our fourth base. We don't really need anything except armour at the moment, best I can make out.

Finally caught a medium Muton scout up north, sent the Orchard pistol team over.

ufomulti_bbturn09_01.png

Started in the SW of the map. Kevin Webb, the first trooper in today's roster, saw an alien right away. He kneeled, fired, and eventually landed a hit; the alien responded with THREE shots back, ALL of which hit him. Kev took... no damage. Just as well I took that flying suit off Munty, eh?

ufomulti_bbturn09_02.png

To kill the next alien, I had to offload half the crew. It must've taken in something like ten shots.

ufomulti_bbturn09_03.png

Kevin took to the skies, but no more aliens were located until I found the UFO in the very NE of the area. Yup, Igor was on scouting duty again.

ufomulti_bbturn09_04.pngufomulti_bbturn09_05.png

I had Mariko dart into the entrance of the craft, then from far south, Dwight Miller sniped at the alien. Pitiful accuracy meant that he eventually shot Mariko, and when the alien moved further into the craft and he moved further north, it darted forward and shot HIM! ... No damage.

ufomulti_bbturn09_06.pngufomulti_bbturn09_07.png

Now the alien was lower on TUs then usual, I thought it safe to have Mariko blast him. Success!

In the meantime, the first alien had woken up, so I selected a rookie from deep within the Ranger to come out and gain his Squaddie rank.

ufomulti_bbturn09_08.pngufomulti_bbturn09_09.pngufomulti_bbturn09_10.pngufomulti_bbturn09_11.png

Odd behaviour for the day: Here we see a Shigeru getting promoted. However, I forgot to take a screencap of the end-mission report, so I re-invoked the game from the point where the mission ended so I could take one. However, after doing so, Mariko got promoted instead! I didn't save this new result, so she remains a squaddie, but I did try relaunching the game another ten times or so. Nearly every time, she got the promotion - didn't know there was a random element...

It occurs to me that I didn't check the ammo supplies for Cannon/Fireworks. They're probably ok, but someone may want to look and be sure.

GAME_1.rar

Right after entering the seat I have received Defcon 5 Battle Aleart. Our Hyper Wave Decoder found an alien Battelship en rout to Orchard. I swifty checked available crew - 5 man are battle ready. I have then checked the equipement - gazilion of grenades, plasma pistols without clips, and why the hell we are keeping normal pistols ??? Sold all the normal grenades and most of the HE bombs, transfered Small Luncher with ammo to Fireworks. I also used this magic teleporting device that nobody knows there is such a thing, but I unequiped armor from the soldier that are still flying home in the skyranger and gave the defenders all the power armor I could get. Munty because he is the only Colonel that can fight got Flying Suit.

Base defence plans show that we have only one chokepoint and troops are briefed that this is theirs Alamo and it must be hold no matter the cost. Munty understood the situation and couragelously replied: "And we shall know no fear".

post-7842-1305736462_thumb.png post-7842-1305736465_thumb.png

Troops armed with laser pistols and few alien grenades proceed to take place and shoot any alien exiting access lift.

First Neil spots a Floater. The two exchange fire, both land perfect hits. Fortunetly Neils Power Armor did the job and dinged all the damage, can't say same about this poor floater. Because there are sooooo many items, the corpses simply vanish in thin air.

post-7842-1305736681_thumb.png

Because the defence mission was purly one sided. All what I did is mostly camped in same spot and scouting with Scott who was at the very end of the corridor. The aliens were totally masacred. I even managed to make Reaper panic. Too bad I didn't take picture of it - never fought It could be done to make a terrorist unit panic. Because there was no excitement in the battle I'll just post pictures off the valiant defence. Each turn there was 1-3 floaters coming from the access lift.

post-7842-1305736902_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305736906_thumb.png post-7842-1305736909_thumb.png

post-7842-1305736914_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305736918_thumb.png post-7842-1305736920_thumb.png

post-7842-1305736962_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305736923_thumb.png post-7842-1305736926_thumb.png

post-7842-1305736930_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305736986_thumb.png post-7842-1305736990_thumb.png

post-7842-1305736993_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305736997_thumb.png post-7842-1305737000_thumb.png

post-7842-1305737003_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305737006_thumb.png post-7842-1305737011_thumb.png

post-7842-1305737015_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305737017_thumb.png post-7842-1305737020_thumb.png

post-7842-1305737023_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305737025_thumb.png post-7842-1305737028_thumb.png

post-7842-1305737031_thumb.pngpost-7842-1305737034_thumb.png

And the result. As you can see - No corpses.

post-7842-1305737097_thumb.png

GAME_1.rar