UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

I wanted to see how bad the Sectoid base was going to be, just to get a feel for it. So I did a 'simulation' and launched a Lunatic's Run (everyone just running about madly without any care and blasting away with autofire at the first thing they see ) with my last save. Must've been down to the last soldier vs. the last sectoid in the command centre before I lost.

The psi attacks didn't seem too bad even with some of my own lasers being pointed at me. Must've been thanks to the power suits softening the blow. What surprised me more was how effective the laser pistols were against the superhuman cyberdiscs.

Might not be too bad overall, but we should at least attempt to capture a leader or commander.

- NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Orchard squad seem to be doing ok against the Mutons. And they only have Silacoids and Celatid's for terror units with no psi... Someone transfer Munty from Cannon to Orchard and I'll give that a go in the middle-distant future :P Seriously though I want that transfer anyway :)

Odd behaviour for the day: Here we see a Shigeru getting promoted. However, I forgot to take a screencap of the end-mission report, so I re-invoked the game from the point where the mission ended so I could take one. However, after doing so, Mariko got promoted instead! I didn't save this new result, so she remains a squaddie, but I did try relaunching the game another ten times or so. Nearly every time, she got the promotion - didn't know there was a random element...
I haven't formally checked, but I think it's the after-mission stats that figure into the relative promotion score the game uses. That is, the stat increases are applied first.

I always thought it was the total sum of the successful action counters, with a random toss as a tie breaker on those with equal sums and equal ranks. Something along those lines.

- NKF

The randomness of stat-increases would be enough to justify it, yes. Not sure if there's any dice throws performed for tie-breakers. Wouldn't surprise me if we DO have it documented, but I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment... :P

The randomness of stat-increases would be enough to justify it, yes. Not sure if there's any dice throws performed for tie-breakers. Wouldn't surprise me if we DO have it documented, but I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment... :P

Seb76 has tracked down the "most promotable" formula (it's on UFOPaedia, and I swiped it for my Python 2.x-based editor suite). It's basically a sum of current stats.

Spectacular mission mate! Shame about the lack of corpses, didn't realise we had it set to Jedi :) Still a nice blaster for the eggheads and plently of lovely 'lerium too! And we must've got a veteran from the Krumpet family too mustn't we? The guys deserve a break really, I'm happy for the mother :P

Oh yes indeed, finally a Krumpet that has managed to survive more than two missions! He definitely earned his power suit the next time I take command. :P

We did get plenty of corpses, it's just a few of the more notable ones that were vanishing. It did occur to me afterwards that it might have been the reapers that were causing the item overflow, since they create 4 items on the spot for bodies instead of 1. Still odd though, I did use up a fair number of grenades and thought I'd blown up plenty of floaters and their weapons in the process. At least at the start.

- NKF

Ok got the save :) done the geo part and will get to the tactical asap (got a landed abducter to keep me busy :P)

sold lots of stuff from nkf`s mission adn we have about 15m in the bank now lol

EDIT: Mission done but need to go to sleep now :) will write up the story when i awaken (A few people were wounded but no casualties this time ^^)

Does everyone want to do the same thing in the UFO AAR like we've started to do in the TFTD game regarding the small fry UFOs?

That is, if we get any easy UFOs, we just take the mission, summarise it with the important points and immediately take another turn. If you attack a large scout or greater, then chronicle your mission as usual. Limited to 3-strikes, then treat it as an end to your turn.

Not counting UFOs vapourised by dual plasma beams or fusion balls, of course! Just the ones you send the Skyrangers out to.

I'm mainly suggesting this because some of the medium scout missions are starting to become less uneventful now that we have better tech and our soldier survivability has improved.

- NKF

I'm mainly suggesting this because some of the medium scout missions are starting to become less uneventful...

- NKF

Hee hee did NKF make a grammatical whoopsie :P I'm all for the idea (because it's my idea yay me!) How far away from psionics we can use in the field now as that's what's helping us beat TFTD so quickly now we're skipping missions. I've noticed even the proper missions are being MC'd now like BBs massacre at the port attack lol So much for house rules but then I guess it is only one guy with the disrupter, he's just freakin awesome!

Did I mention he's me? lmao

Curse you - you got me before I had a chance to editinate my mistake! Mind you it serves me right for getting in the habit of posting my messages before proof reading. :P

We still have yet to capture any psi aliens. Just crossing my fingers that we'll get a supply ship land at the sectoid base near Orchard. That will provide an easy leader for abduction. Or, I suppose, an ethereal small scout would work too!

Anyhow, better go do my TFTD turn - seeing as it's back to me.

- NKF

Indeed small launchers are being classified as cannons for this playthrough. If someone gets lucky with a supply ship though they need to remember to take a mind probe for leader location too! Is there a certain time of month when alien bases are supplied? That would help as we could then quite happily patrol the Ranger nearby.

I am slowly doing my part. I have discovered 2 bases 1 is muton, other probably muton too.

We have 4 active alien bases (2 are mutons) I think we should dispatch them fast.

I tried to capture very large but it didn't want to land. Downed 2 suppliers and large scout. AAR will be later today.

Mission done - 1 casaulty though - report will be later.

AAR done.

I advise for the next player (Veteran) to lunch both Skyrangers - it will save time for whoever will be next.

Also I think that Fort C. should have few Heavy Lasers in stores just in case of Etheral attack (against sectopods).

Small launchers and lots of stun bombs will also do the trick. Alternately, how about we start minor assault base 4. We could call it Electric Company, where it's Heavy Lasers 24/7. Real man lasers. None of this laser pistol rubbish that the Orchard team like to use. :P . Any in favour?

Speaking of bases, I did a practice run with the Fireworks team a few nights ago and must highly advise against using them for a Muton base assault. Not that it couldn't work, it did, but even with a full compliment of ammo there are just too many Mutons in the base on Superhuman difficulty to do a clean sweep before running out of ammo. They would need a surgical strike to the command centre for a win, or are lucky enough to get multiple aliens clusters. Fort. Cannon or Orchard might do better.

- NKF

If we go ahead with Electric Company, Watchpost should convert as it already has most of the necessary facilities to kick it off the ground running. Will mainly need time to set up the research and manufacture of the weapons.

Whether or not we go ahead with Elec. Company (which is probably all we'll get in the name field), the other option we could consider is to break the tank embargo and allow the use of Laser Tanks at all the bases as anti-sectopod units. Once we get the psi-amp we can have the Sectopods self terminate themselves, but that's a long way off yet.

Part of me is worrying we might end up dithering the weapon sets too much to compensate for the Sectopod by allowing heavy lasers or small launchers at the various bases. With the tank, it'll behave just like a souped up cannon tank and won't touch your troop weapons too much.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

With The Veteran's laptop in pieces, and both games having been on hold for over a week now, I guess time to jump the queue. I'll post up the mission as soon as I can unless I'm beaten to it. I have had a glance at the save file to see where we're at.

We've got two Muton crash sites at the North pole and only two transports that can attend to it at this stage, with the Fort. Cannon Skranger just back from a mission. So Orchard or Fireworks. Leaves the next player and myself a little limited to what we can send.

I'll think I'll take the Fireworks team out for my turn, though not entirely looking forward to dealing with the Mutons as they take two large rockets on average to knock down. And it'll most probably have to be played in the dark.

On a minor note, it seems like we've got a 3rd lab being built? I take it so we can blitz through the psi research as soon as we get a sectoid leader/commander or an ethereal?

- NKF