UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Came to do the routine daily check and noticed this thread was closed. Since no reason was left, I've re-opened it. Strange. Anyhow, on with the show.

I know we clip through the turns in the UFO AAR, but we've nearly done a complete revolution in 2 - 3 days! Should we hire more vict - er - commanders? :P

- NKF

Just getting some soundings now that we've progressed reasonably well into the game about How everyone feels about the weapon themes so far, and if we need to revise or change anything.

The cannon team seem to be getting poor to average in results, but are doing all right despite the odds. The introduction of Power Suits is helping a little, though I suspect the flying suits will add an extra edge to the team.

The pistol/grenade team seems to have jumped back on their feet and seem to be doing better than ever, especially now that we've had a chance to test them against the Mutons with fairly good results.

We haven't done a lot of rocket missions. At least I haven't tried them yet, but the few that have sounded like tons of fun - if a bit messy. I must give them a go, especially now that power suits are more readily available.

- NKF

Regular pistols are rubbish, but the upgraded versions aren't to be sniffed at. Unfortunately cannons just aren't all that great, but the entire point is to enforce a handicap, and rapid-fire HE is always fun. On the other hand... I sorta suspect I'll find myself avoiding their use whenever I can...

Wouldnt the stun launcher be classed as a cannon type weapon? maybe have 1/2 a squad with stun and 1/2 with cannon-HE then use stun and kill tactics, But as we have HWD we could always break out those guys for the weaker races (sectoids,floaters and snakes) and leave the others to take out the big guns.

Maybe transfer the veterens from fort cannon to other bases and leave a rookie squad to deal with the cannon missions?

Im assuming the rocket squad are still viable against the elite aliens (muties and eths)?

You can compare 'em here. In a nutshell, though, the only "master" race that beats them in any stat at all would be Mutons, that stat being health (they have ridiculous amounts of it, they're about on par with Tasoth/Lobstermen). Ethereals have massive amounts of TUs/accuracy/armour/reactions/etc. Except for armour, they even outclass their terror units, the Sectopods (who have the best armour stat out of all UFO/TFTD races).

But yeah, I was referring to what happens when the Ethereals are guaranteed to mind control a guy with a rocket launcher. :P

Check out the Snakeman TUs and Reaction scores. No wonder I like leaving their bases for the supply ships.

One other useful table for comparison is their resistance/vulnerabilities to the various damage types:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Damage_Modifiers

I must admit this table is much more useful in TFTD than it is in UFO, as all it points out is that the Mutons resist AP and Ethereals resist stun and incendiary, and we're mostly going to be throwing explosives, lasers and occasionally plasma at them, which do normal damage.

- NKF

Just finished my mission and am in the middle of resizing the screenshots. Also gave my first spin of the Fireworks team - and I want to say one thing:

Because of the high probability of (indirect) friendly fire, Fireworks can't continue to operate on Personal Armour alone. It desperately needs Power Armour or Flying Suits. Just had one friendly-fire loss to a rocket that flew miles away from its target. Sad thing is, the victim actually gave the shooter a wide berth, and the shooter actually achieved this same stunt twice in a row. I suppose the victim might or might not have survived with power armour, but it would've helped softened the blow a little.

Oh well, was a fun trial all the same.

- NKF

Not too shabby NKF, I continue to respect those who have a go with the Fireworks team but each time I see them in action I become more convinced that they're completely counter productive... Even with better armour they'll never have better weapons and the life expectancy on the team will remain very low while their infrequent outings will make veterans in the base a real luxury.

For me, Fireworks seems like a bit of a waste of space, time, money, resources, you name it. Fort Cannon is challenging but it remains fun, both to play and read. Fireworks seems like more of a chore than a challenge. I'll certainyl be continuing to bounce between Orchard and Cannon for the remainder of the game. Just hope I don't get lumbered with a Fireworks base defence or it'll be straight to the lifeboats to scuttle the place lol

All done on my end :P

Built a workshop in Orchard (to create a supply of plasma pistol clips with the spare elerium that they can capture and also replace some armour without it having to be shipped in).

Lost another power suit, sometimes they just dont hold at all, but pats seemed to save him this mission and he is taking a short break in the infirmary ^^

Great job on that one. If it turns out the floaters were building a base, I vote we go on an obliteration spree and blow up all the other bases and keep that one. I quite enjoy floater supply ship raids to be honest.

The Veteran: The Orchard and Fort. Cannon teams are certainly more entertaining, and present a decent challenge. Fireworks is an excellent example of damage control. :P But really that's what makes it a unique experience compared to the others. They'll be quite necessary when we're up against Ethereal missions with Sectopods if we haven't yet developed our psi corps.

- NKF

Nice work Lysear, now get your butt online so I can slap you silly in TTS! I quite fancy doing another base mission but I'd rather not take on the Sectoids lol Get a good Psi squad with a few psi-amps first at the very least! There are 3 bases aren't there? What's the third?