287 replies to this topic

#41 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Alright I'll do it this evening since I am next in line.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#42 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

good hunting silencer :laugh:

#43 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Meh, these things happen - you won, anyway.  :laugh:
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#44 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

I was warming up for my turn at the TFTD AAR by playing the floater terror site a few times. Throw in a night scenario, throw in dozens of floaters surrounding the Skyranger at the start. Man is it brutal! Must've lost  4 - 6 troops within the first couple of turns each time I tried (different sites each time too). I'm starting to think we have it easy in TFTD thanks to the Triton.

Might I propose the motion we get some mass-produced personal armour out soon?

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#45 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

might as well, i got a feeling when the tougher aliens come and start reactioning to our pistol hits, we need something to soften the blow.  Is there any special research we need to get the power armour  (like on tftd needing live deep one and such?), or is it alot easier to get.

#46 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

It's much easier; we need no aliens, just the previous armour type, elerium and power sources. To fly, we only need to add nav systems on top of that. All these things can be collected from a single intact UFO.

#47 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

Wee our first mission without a casualty :laugh:,  hope i get a nice easy one next time around :oh:

#48 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

Just downloaded the file, doing mine shortly and should have it up by lunch all well :laugh:
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#49 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

What are the odds the game's going to throw me a wobbly one after the last few missions?

It's midnight here, so I'll save the earth from Martians in the morning.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#50 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

I now see that TJ and I were playing on beginner. Either not all of our DOS users have the patched executable NKF uploaded in the first post of this thread (personally I'm on CE at the moment), or the patch wasn't implemented successfully?

In any case, I've attempted to patch the save back to the correct difficulty (offset 60 (0x3C) of IGLOB.DAT set to 4), and replaced the version Vet posted. Have fun NKF.  :laugh:

Speaking of which, can everyone please start using the forum upload functions if you aren't already? PM me or something if you haven't worked out how.

#51 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Aww you're kidding :laugh: I did think there should've been more aliens than that but meh... I'm running straight off the CD so I probably need to patch my game in that case. And I don't know how to use the forum upload either so feel free to tell me how BB :oh:
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#52 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

That patch I put up should be fine as I was literally getting slaughtered in the practice runs with that save at the floater terror site. It's not the weapons, the aliens are just aggressive. Even the reapers were not the jokes many make them out to be. Despite the TFTD experience I almost feel like I'm out of practice! :laugh:

- NKF

#53 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

View PostThe Veteran, on 20th March 2011, 12:33am, said:

And I don't know how to use the forum upload either so feel free to tell me how BB :laugh:
Enter full-edit mode using the "add reply" button (as opposed to "fast reply"). If you've started typing into fast reply by accident, hit "more options" to switch.

Underneath the posting box is the attachments panel. Use the browse button to select a file, then hit upload.

Once this is done you can embed the result into your post using the "manage current attachments" dropdown box above said button. Let it load the icons once you've opened it, you'll see a bit of paper with a red button on it (which deletes the attachment), and one with a green button on it (which sticks BBcode linking to that item straight into your post).

Any items which you do not manually embed will be automatically appended to the end of your post when you submit it. Images are automatically thumbnailed.

#54 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

Deliberately blew up the first UFO (more points) but the second one was a bit too far off the coast for me to notice it was over the sea. Not too much of a problem since the third one was the same type of ship. There's a rash of tiny ships at the moment.

Overall the mission felt a bit easy. But it was a medium scout with most of its crew dead from the crash, and the two sectoids the team met outside were in rather awkward positions to begin with.

Just noticed a blunder I made after I saved the game for the next commander. The new chokepoint I installed that's going to be ready soon is attached directly to the large radar. Memory tells me there's a central block in the middle of that facility that'll break the clear corridor into the hangar. Various fixes for this, but nothing that'll be ready quickly.

- NKF

#55 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

I suspect my attempt to tweak the game difficulty back to Superhuman was a failure, as you only raked in four corpses - I'm fairly sure the medium scout should provide more? In any case, it appears the save game you posted is also set to Beginner, assuming my understanding of how that gets saved is correct... Did you end up playing the save Vet posted to rapidshare, or the one I embedded into his post?

#56 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

I got the one you embedded.

Note that the recovered corpses were four - at least two of the three I encountered were completely vapourised by grenades. So about 6 aliens from that ship.

- NKF

#57 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

Even so, the relevant looking offset is set to 0 again. I decided to test the save games in XCU to make sure I'm not way off base, and indeed, it reports the save game I put in Vet's post to be Superhuman, and the one you just posted to be Beginner. Something's up.

#58 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

Quick'n'dirty fix for now: Everyone download this, stick it in your game folder and run it before taking your turns. It'll tell you the difficulty the save file is currently set to and allow you to change it if need be. No cheating, now...  :laugh:

Attached File  DIFFCHNG.rar   31.56K   113 downloads

#59 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

Strange - I know I overwrote the old game with the files from the .rar since it involved using 7zip to unpack them. Only  explanation is that I might've unpacked it to a different copy of the game, but a quick look doesn't bring anything up. Maybe it was in TFTD?

Either way I think I'll go do a very quick check to see if my copy is still got the difficulty bug - but if it did revert to beginner it would've happened after the mission, not before. And the iglob.dat file is still 64 bytes, not 60.

- NKF

#60 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

Whoa, redid that entire mission in a minute or 2 with 2 losses and Adam taking 3 of the 5 kills with just laser pistol and a proximity mine. Would've made a terribly boring story...

6 bodies recovered from that one too so nearly the same numbers. However the save I made after that had the iglob difficulty level entry saved as 4. The original save I posted still had it set to 0.

edit:

Tried to see if it was a result of a battlescape save, and that's not it. Also more searching for where I unpacked the files and I'm still left baffled.

- NKF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users