UFO/EU Multiplayer AAR Discussion

NKF

Ugh. Is it only me that prefers old fashion way with auto cannons ? My vote for 1.

Pistols aren't manly :laugh:

By the way - set 2 is a bit ridicolous. You vote for nades vs nades + pistols - now why would people go for nades only when they can choose to get pistols too ?

Shouldn't it be nades vs pistols ?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They do seem similar, but both methods require very different ways of playing the game. With one you have to think entirely in terms of how you can fight entirely with thrown projectiles under various conditions. The other it closer to the normal play but with reduced ranged firepower. Volume of equipment will also differ.

Sorry, I shouldn't have reused the word 'set' to describe the weapon trio and pairing. Let me show an example of what I had in mind:

First round of votes

1: Rockets vs. Cannons vs. Heavy Laser

2: Grenades vs. Grenades + Pistols

Let's say Cannons gets the most votes for 1 and Grenades + Pistols the most votes for 2.

The last round of votes

Cannons vs. Grenades + Pistols

What weapon theme is decided here is is what we go with. Ah - that's the word I should've been using to describe the weapons. Weapon themes.

Not meaning to over complicate it. Just a process of elimination to allow a chance to carefully weigh up each of the options.

- NKF

Judging by the previous votest we can declare that winner will be pistol + nades.

also given example the option 1 has 3 candidates while option 2 two candidates.

Why not make it even - cannons + heay laser vs rockets ?

So my re-made vote is for now:

1. Cannons

2. Pistol + nades.

I will still stand by my point - option two is just nades vs nades with flavour.

It's just like ordering pizza - do you want pizza or pizza with extra <whatever you like with pizza>

It's like ordering lots of pizza or ordering fried chicken and not as much pizza. :laugh:

I had to assign one group as a trio because we have an uneven number. I could devise another weapon theme to even it up, but I don't want to drag this on any longer than it needs to. On the bright side it's grouped them into ranged vs. thrown. Anyhow the tally so far:

Set 1:

Rockets: 0

Cannons: 1

Heavy Laser: 0

Set 2:

Grenades: 0

Grenades + Pistols: 3 ~ 4

I get the feeling most would be happier with a mixture than a very limited weapon theme. Since I'm still making this up as I go along, would it be better to use the winners in both set 1 and 2 in the game, and build two strike bases around these themes? That way you can launch the Skyranger of your choice when it comes to your turn.

edit:

Updated the end of the first post with a rundown of the AAR rules (so far) and attached the Geoscape.exe replacement for v1.4 that has the difficulty bug fixed.

- NKF

Don't worry, we'll build a base for you and stock it entirely with cannons and a cannon tank. :laugh: No, seriously, let's go with that. If there's any demand we'll do one for rockets too.

Just to confirm the rotation, I'll start since I suggested this madcap game, and the others based on the order signed up.

NKF

Lysear

Bomb Bloke

silencer_pl

The Veteran

Hope I didn't miss anyone. If I have, please give me a yell.

Well, let's get the show on the road. I'll convert this thread into the discussion thread and create a placeholder thread for the game. It's not my turn yet for the TFTD game so I'll get the first mission out of the way.

- NKF

Got quite a few plasma pistols from that terror site but not too many clips, selling the rifles and corpses will get a few quid :oh:,

What should be the focus of the research as we wont really need most weapons unless we want the craft version at the end and maybe the defenses? nades after pistol?

P.s High explosives are funnnn :laugh:

Lots of choices. Power armour is high on my list. Nothing like some protection from both enemy fire and mis-thrown grenades. The mind probe would also be very handy to check the enemy's ability to react before attacking.

As for alien weapon research, the alien grenade's as good as any. Also in time we should do the plasma rifle+clip to get the plasma cannon. Any objections to leaving the heavy plasma unresearched? If we leave it as a mystery item, we should earn a few extra points more for each of them at the end of each battle.

Overall it's an okay but slightly wobbly start to the campaign. Just wish I'd stopped thinking in dollars and went with what I'm normally used to on that first mission. Would've saved a few lives, though netted a few less guns.

Haven't heard from BB in the TFTD AAR yet, and he's up next.

- NKF

Good work Lysear, shame about Gudrun and that last camping Floater though hey :laugh: What are we going for with base layout? hangars across the top, access lift cut off from the south and one bottleneck in both east and west?

I think plasma pistols, alien nades, power armour, in that order. But that's just me :oh:

I was warming up for my turn at the TFTD AAR by playing the floater terror site a few times. Throw in a night scenario, throw in dozens of floaters surrounding the Skyranger at the start. Man is it brutal! Must've lost 4 - 6 troops within the first couple of turns each time I tried (different sites each time too). I'm starting to think we have it easy in TFTD thanks to the Triton.

Might I propose the motion we get some mass-produced personal armour out soon?

- NKF

might as well, i got a feeling when the tougher aliens come and start reactioning to our pistol hits, we need something to soften the blow. Is there any special research we need to get the power armour (like on tftd needing live deep one and such?), or is it alot easier to get.

I now see that TJ and I were playing on beginner. Either not all of our DOS users have the patched executable NKF uploaded in the first post of this thread (personally I'm on CE at the moment), or the patch wasn't implemented successfully?

In any case, I've attempted to patch the save back to the correct difficulty (offset 60 (0x3C) of IGLOB.DAT set to 4), and replaced the version Vet posted. Have fun NKF. :laugh:

Speaking of which, can everyone please start using the forum upload functions if you aren't already? PM me or something if you haven't worked out how.