287 replies to this topic

#21 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

Quick post but after playing some eu today (dusted off my cd after an hours search),  im struck with the feeling the maps are a bit on the small side? (dunno if its feasable/or wanted to be able to increase map sizes?).

Maybe im just too used to tftd :laugh:  

p.s Breaching ufos with pistols and no way to open doors without walking through results in lots of dead dummies... Recruits  ^^

#22 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

(Guys, re-read the sets carefully. You're supposed to vote on one of the pair/trio in each 'set', and then NKF will pair those up. :laugh: )
EDIT:(woops I mispoke: Vote once for each set. Ergo, you'd have a vote for the set 1, and a vote for the set 2. Not just one vote total, two votes total. >.>)

#23 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

I was mainly trying to pair off the selections like how teams are paired off in tournaments. Mainly to give everyone a fair chance to think over each option. But at this rate if we get any more pistol/grenade votes, then I may as well treat that as the majority! :oh:

I imagine everyone may have had some thoughts of trying out some of the others, perhaps I'll leave the option open later on down the line to re-vote on the weapon sets if everyone starts to think the game is getting stale? The aim is to have a bit of fun, after all. Would that be a fair compromise?

A couple of administrative matters to get out of the way:

I recommend all participants create a fresh copy of the game separate to the one you normally play. For those using the Dos edition, make sure you update to v1.4.

There is the matter of the difficulty bug with the dos edition. This can be fixed, see:

http://www.ufopaedia...lty_setting_bug

I can probably doctor up a fixed Geoscape.exe and upload a zip for those less inclined to fiddle with the bits and bytes. :laugh:

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#24 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

i think a doctored exe would benefit me greatly :laugh:.    anything i fiddle with seems to stop working then get mysteriously broken with an even more mysterious blunt object ><

#25 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Set 2 gets my vote.

#26 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

Ugh. Is it only me that prefers old fashion way with auto cannons ? My vote for 1.

Pistols aren't manly :laugh:

By the way - set 2 is a bit ridicolous. You vote for nades vs nades + pistols - now why would people go for nades only when they can choose to get pistols too ?

Shouldn't it be nades vs pistols ?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

They do seem similar, but both methods require very different ways of playing the game. With one you have to think entirely in terms of how you can fight entirely with thrown projectiles under various conditions. The other it closer to the normal play but with reduced ranged firepower. Volume of equipment will also differ.

Sorry, I shouldn't have reused the word 'set' to describe the weapon trio and pairing. Let me show an example of what I had in mind:

First round of votes

1: Rockets vs. Cannons vs. Heavy Laser
2: Grenades vs. Grenades + Pistols

Let's say Cannons gets the most votes for 1 and Grenades + Pistols the most votes for 2.

The last round of votes

Cannons vs. Grenades + Pistols

What weapon theme is decided here is is what we go with. Ah - that's the word I should've been using to describe the weapons. Weapon themes.

Not meaning to over complicate it. Just a process of elimination to allow a chance to carefully weigh up each of the options.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#28 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Judging by the previous votest we can declare that winner will be pistol + nades.

also given example the option 1 has 3 candidates while option 2 two candidates.

Why not make it even - cannons + heay laser vs rockets ?

So my re-made vote is for now:

1. Cannons
2. Pistol + nades.

I will still stand by my point - option two is just nades vs nades with flavour.

It's just like ordering pizza - do you want pizza or pizza with extra <whatever you like with pizza>

#29 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

It's like ordering lots of pizza or ordering fried chicken and not as much pizza. :laugh:

I had to assign one group as a trio because we have an uneven number. I could devise another weapon theme to even it up, but I don't want to drag this on any longer than it needs to. On the bright side it's grouped them into ranged vs. thrown. Anyhow the tally so far:

Set 1:
Rockets: 0
Cannons: 1
Heavy Laser: 0

Set 2:
Grenades: 0
Grenades + Pistols: 3 ~ 4

I get the feeling most would be happier with a mixture than a very limited weapon theme. Since I'm still making this up as I go along, would it be better to use the winners in both set 1 and 2 in the game, and build two strike bases around these themes? That way you can launch the Skyranger of your choice when it comes to your turn.

edit:

Updated the end of the first post with a rundown of the AAR rules (so far) and attached the Geoscape.exe replacement for v1.4 that has the difficulty bug fixed.

- NKF

#30 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Is this still on?  just been a few days without any response ><

#31 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Well, it was the weekend. If there's not much else, I'll assume we go with pistol+grenade, set the play order and get the thing started once I'm back from work tonight.

- NKF

#32 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Since I am the only one that prefers cannons - maybe I can be exception and use only cannons ? :laugh:

#33 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

Comparise: Someone make a mod for grenade-launching Tanks! :laugh:

#34 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Don't worry, we'll build a base for you and stock it entirely with cannons and a cannon tank. :laugh: No, seriously, let's go with that. If there's any demand we'll do one for rockets too.

Just to confirm the rotation, I'll start since I suggested this madcap game, and the others based on the order signed up.

NKF
Lysear
Bomb Bloke
silencer_pl
The Veteran

Hope I didn't miss anyone. If I have, please give me a yell.

Well, let's get the show on the road. I'll convert this thread into the discussion thread and create a placeholder thread for the game. It's not my turn yet for the TFTD game so I'll get the first mission out of the way.

- NKF

#35 Lysear

Lysear

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

Got quite a few plasma pistols from that terror site but not too many clips, selling the rifles and corpses will get a few quid :oh:,

What should be the focus of the research as we wont really need most weapons unless we want the craft version at the end and maybe the defenses?   nades after pistol?

P.s High explosives are funnnn :laugh:

#36 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

Lots of choices. Power armour is high on my list. Nothing like some protection from both enemy fire and mis-thrown grenades. The mind probe would also be very handy to check the enemy's ability to react before attacking.

As for alien weapon research, the alien grenade's as good as any. Also in time we should do the plasma rifle+clip to get the plasma cannon. Any objections to leaving the heavy plasma unresearched? If we leave it as a mystery item, we should earn a few extra points more for each of them at the end of each battle.

Overall it's an okay but slightly wobbly start to the campaign. Just wish I'd stopped thinking in dollars and went with what I'm normally used to on that first mission. Would've saved a few lives, though netted a few less guns.

Haven't heard from BB in the TFTD AAR yet, and he's up next.

- NKF

#37 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

Good work Lysear, shame about Gudrun and that last camping Floater though hey :laugh: What are we going for with base layout? hangars across the top, access lift cut off from the south and one bottleneck in both east and west?

I think plasma pistols, alien nades, power armour, in that order. But that's just me :oh:
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#38 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

I could go next then.

I am very iching for auto cannons but eh.

#39 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

So it's pistols/grenades, then? I'll try to get something sorted tomorrow morning (next twelve hours roughly), assuming I'm not beaten to the punch.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#40 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

Sorry, but I'm doubting it's gonna happen for another day, probably more - I'm happy to take my turn later if anyone else wants to jump in first.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users