As the title says, just a proposal for a mutliplayer AAR like the one being run in the TFTD forum at present. Mainly to pickle some brains to refine the idea and see if there would be any interest.
The idea's to have one that's roughly the same conditions, but with a twist. After TFTD, UFO may seem like a walk in the park, so I thought it could use a limited weapon scenario for fun and to see how far we can take the ball and run with it.
Those who've known me for a while will probably have already anticipated what I've been thinking about with the weapon scenarios. Here are some suggestions. We decide on one and go with it.
- Rocket Launcher only.
- Heavy/Auto Cannons only.
- Play as normal until Heavy Laser available, then use (unmodified) Heavy Laser exclusively.
- Thrown explosives. Period.
- The NKF Special: Pistol sized weapons and thrown explosives.
All scenarios follow these common rules:
- For scenarios without lasers: If ammo is depleted and cannot be scavenged, force an evacuation.
- Captures must be attempted with these weapons, or stun rods for Heavy Laser scenario.
- Tanks acceptable only if it has a matching weapon.
Only problem with most of these except for the heavy laser campaign are the Sectopods. Most of these weapons don't have a fighting chance against them. Perhaps limited use of stun bombs vs. them only?
Some of the heavy weapon scenarios may seem like it would make combat too easy, but there are a number of management (especially collateral) issues involved with them that add to the difficulty.
Again, this is only a proposal to see if there would be interest.
- V1.4 with no mods
- Limited Psi Amp (particulars pending)
- If ammo exhausted and cannot be scavenged, enforce evacuation
- Weapon theme (pending as per current discussions)
For those using the Dos version, there will be the difficulty bug to contend with. To fix it, first make sure you've upgraded to v1.4 if you haven't already. Use a separate copy of the game if you would like to keep the older version.
Then unzip the following and place the geoscape.exe file into the UFOEXE directory. Either back up the old copy first or just replace the old one.
I have already scanned it for viruses, but please double-check on your end.
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!