Written in blood

Thorondor

In this deep character driven strategy game, you play as the head of an illustrious Samurai family. The year is 1467 and civil war has broken out. The authority of the Ashikaga Shoguns has collapsed and it is every man for himself in the provinces.

Conquest and betrayal clash with honor and duty in this feudal Japan of the Sengoku period. Resort to samurai and ninja combat prowess or ally with foreign powers as you rise in influence within your clan to finally become Shogun.

This recently announced grand strategy game is being developed internally at Paradox Interactive so attention to detail and historical accuracy are to be anticipated.

I must concur... Before I even saw SVs post my immediate response was going to be 'it looks like total war but its not' so add to that the fact that an identical game is already being developed by the undeniable masters of the genre and I don't think they'll be onto a winner with this one. It certainly won't sell for a high price and honestly it doesn't even look to be that much better than the original Shogun to warrant purchase by any but the most hardcore fans of the style of gameplay or history of Japan... :laugh:

Paradox Interactive's Johan Andersson about Sengoku:

We don't view them as direct competition, as we aim for slightly different markets. We focus on a deep campaign, where strategic decisions are the most key aspects to win the game, while Total War is a game where tactical decisions matter the most. Setting alone does not make games similar, if they have fundamentally different concepts on how the game is played (...)

You can check out the rest of the Q & A session at GameShark.

::

Release date tentatively set for Q3.

• 5 weeks later...