Snap shot vs. aimed shot

Abulafia

Finish up accuracy testing on aimed shot vs. snapshot.

Results are pretty clear that aimed shots use the "normal" weapon values, while taking a snapshot lowers range FLT by 10% and lowers accuracy FLT by 10% of range FLT.

I've only tested so far with an "Average" skilled shooter, so it's theoretically possible that snapshots lower shooter skill by 2 levels rather than a flat 10% adjustment to range and accuracy, as going from average to awful is very very close to a 10% drop.

I'll do some quick tests with a Superheroic +4 shooter over the next couple of days, which should clarify this.

Hmm, surprising answer to the testing with skilled shooters but it actually makes sense.

Skilled shooters get an extra bonus to accuracy when making aimed shots, on top of the bonuses they get to maximum and effective range of their weapons. This means you can see quite a significant drop in hit chance for highly skilled shooters using snap shots, compared to their aimed shots.

Skilled shooters are still better than unskilled shooters at snap shots, as they still get the bonuses to effective range and maximum range to the weapon they're using.

Numbers bit:

It turns out shooters with high skill get an extra bonus to range FLT and accuracy FLT, which doesn't show up on the inventory screens, but only when using aimed shots.

Bonus to both values = 0.1 (Skill Modifier -1) * MODIFIED accuracy FLT

Where Skill Modifier is the coefficient for their skill score (see my post on how skill affects to hit chance) and the Modified accuracy FLT is the accuracy FLT after skill increases are factored in initially (formula for this in the same post).

This is the first time I've encountered an increase to range FLT being based off accuracy FLT, usually it's the other way around.