US takes Sonic Cannon to Iraq

The US seemed to jump right pass gauss and plasma and have avoid hand held laser weapons skiping streight to the laser cannons. America has no respect for tech trees. :)

Next thing they'll do is discover E-115 but not alien alloys.... wait they did that :)

You sure they have rail guns on there warships? The US seems to be leaning towards missles over cannon based weapons. I know they have a mass driver tank in R&D but ive never heard of a mass driver acutally used in the "field" (in this case ocean).

• 1 month later...

Laser aren't very cost effective in the real world because of the high energy levels needed to keep a sustained beam strong enough to cut through anything fairly dense eg such as metals and human flesh. Although it might burn flesh slightly it wouldn't cause enough damage for pemanent injury.

Missiles tend to be used more on aircraft because they are lighter than having cannons on board but on ships I would have thought they would have cannon based guns, missiles and torpedos as the weight of a warship isn't really a limiting factor.

The only reason I can think of that they are using lasers is to test their effectiveness against the cost but I think they'll scrap the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
M. Hoz Laser cannons are mentioned in this thread

But as for the noise making device I'm sure it will take off because of its none deadly attack which means you could disable people in riots and such like

Assuming the rioters aren't deaf and that the noise doesn't just make them madder than ever, kind of like beating a hornet's nest with a stick

The US millitary and law enforcement officials developed a laser "gun", which when directed at an attackers eyes, will temporarily disorientate them long enough for an officer to subdue the attacker. Unfortunately, it only works on small crowds and when officers outnumber the rioters. (When does this ever happen?)

The sonic weapon sounds like a pretty good crowd deterrent. A 150 db blast should split some eardrums! Seems better than the other non-lethal method : tear gas. The rioters always try to throw the canisters back at the police! Better not point that sonic weapon near store-front windows though. CRASH! :)

There are some infra-sonic generators which are used to supress the riots. They cause some sort of desorientation, the feeling of depression and, hmm... diarrhea. :)

Speaking of lasers. Not only they require a huge power supply (that's why the idea of "Space Wars" is far from reality - it's impossible to deliver such reactor on the orbit), but also not effective at long range. Practically speaking, it very difficult to keep the beam focused enough to burn the armor at the distance of 10 kilometers. The atmosphere also counts for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I'll add some of my experiencesto this thread.

First the police often outnumbers the protestors/rioters. At least here in germany.

(Example: Last year on the antirassistic noborder camp in cologne they used 1200 officers in riot gear, two waterguns (is this the english word?), a ground fire fight device and a Räumpanzer (something like a heavy armoured bulldozer) to storm a camp with 800 peacefull people in it.)

Throwing the Teargas back is normally no problem for the police forces because they have gas masks. ( But german police is more into circling&hitting anyway.)

The main problem is it's flight direction cant be controlled. If the cloud hits the protesters/rioters they run, but it often doesn't. So it has much "collateral dammge" in urban areas.

Also you can protect yourself quite well&easy from it. (I won't say how so that the admins get no legal issues.)

Another one is that teargas makes aggressive and has that beating a hornets nest effect.

And rubber bullets are really tough shit. The foot of a person I know was completly ruined by them, when it was hit by four in a chain.

But this is all better than catching you a real bullet.

really? But I think this could be just an impression produced by the position of reporting journalists and the camera angle. They normally stand behind the police lines so on the tapes you see the backs of two or three officers and twenty or more rioters/protestors. But I'm not well informed about recent uk history so maybe they just didn't had that experience of massive protests and streetfights in the 60's 70's and 80'S.

But to get back on topic. I've read for usage in iraq theyre also developing a microwave device that causes some kind of sunburn.