Want some candy?

Thorondor

post-a2771-fray-announce-bnr.jpg

2098: the world is coming to an end due to environmental collapse. What's humanity's answer? As usual, escapism - we entertain ourselves in simulated worlds. One is a combat module cyber-environment named Fray, and the excuse is salvation.

Brain Candy feed:

Plan your orders swiftly and watch the action unfold as all the players' squads execute their turns simultaneously.

Their creation is a multiplayer simultaneous turn-based strategy offering focused on squad tactics. Three key global corporations grant faction-specific edges to those in their allegiance, with squad elements to be picked from six different specialties and kitted out to wipe.

For CronaCorp, MagTyde Industries and Aros Securities this year shall be the year to end all years, in glory.

fray_announce_bnr.jpg

I wonder how this simultaneous turns will work. IMO simultaneous actions could be much more realistic, but I have never seen that realized in a true turn based tactical game. Meaning that at some point you click the end turn and all orders are carried out at the same time.

That is the system the games usually use for strategic map (Total War games, Sword of the Stars), not tactical battles.

Guest Ulzgoroth
I wonder how this simultaneous turns will work. IMO simultaneous actions could be much more realistic, but I have never seen that realized in a true turn based tactical game. Meaning that at some point you click the end turn and all orders are carried out at the same time.

That is the system the games usually use for strategic map (Total War games, Sword of the Stars), not tactical battles.

Laser Squad Nemesis is simultaneous-execution Turn Based Tactical.

...and while Sword of the Stars does something to that effect, I don't think that many TBS games do. All the Total War games I've seen execute orders as you give them, not in a simultaneous resolution phase.

Not sure what the difference is that's being debated here between simultaneous turns and simultaneous actions. In my experience there's only one way for a simultaneous turn based game to operate and I think it works pretty well. I've just come from discussing TB v RT in Apocalypse so to be honest this is a good medium between the 2. It maintains the challenge for each player to take a risk and then amplifies it by throwing in the fact that the enemy will be moving too so your plan could go horribly wrong or succeed spectacularly at a moments notice. But there's no pause or reload so you just have to kind of live with it!!!

...and while Sword of the Stars does something to that effect, I don't think that many TBS games do. All the Total War games I've seen execute orders as you give them, not in a simultaneous resolution phase.

You are correct, Total War does not execute commands simultaneously... Got confused there, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
The idea for Fray stemmed from a combination of the classic X-COM series and Unreal Tournament. The development team hopes to create a hybrid of the two, combining the complexity of a strategy game with the anxious intensity of a shooter.

::

Read the rest of the GameSpot preview here, and learn more about the simultaneous turn-based implementation.