XCOM Post Mission Crash

Haet

I'm using a steam copy of EU with xcomutil and seb's extender. I reworked the weapons in obdata.dat, and the alien weapon loadouts in tactical.exe.

At some point in the game I will finish a mission and when I click "ok" in the score screen the game crashes with this error message:

Xcom crashed at 0x10004E1D with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00245020

I have no idea how to interpret this, or what part of my concoction to blame.

Any words would be appreciated

Whenever it's triggered, it will happen every time I finish a certain UFO mission, making it impossible to continue short of skipping it.

It never happened when I was only using xcomutil.

I'm just hoping to skip the arduous task of randomly turning stuff off and redoing missions.

I'm not sure exactly what the bug encompasses, but I never save games with interception windows open, or stuff airborne. My savegames already have the value/offset stated.

It happens the moment you click to exit the greentext score screen. At first I thought the problem lied in switching between the .exe's, but it does the first step fine. Now I'm thinking something like xcomutil's research help or ufoextender's no funkers.

I have. Multiple times. I've even reinstalled everything for an even fresher start.

Sometimes I reach UFO 12, and sometimes not even UFO 3 before it happens. If memory serves it has only happened on ground assault missions, but it has triggered on different ships.

The error message is always the same.

Welp, I can tell you that nothing you do to obdata.dat will affect what happens outside of tactical missions (except maybe what the UFOpaedia shows you). Your alien loadout tweaks might be related if a mistake was made implementing them, though it's unlikely.

XCU may be to blame, but I'm somehow doubting it. The Extender is, in my view, the most likely culprit, as it does its work at run-time; but... well, it's quite possible none of your mods have anything to do with it. I'd advise trying to load the save games in, say, DOSBox without XCU/Extender active, see if they still crash on you.

• 5 months later...

Hey ya Haet,

I had exactly the same problem, and I figured out what was crashing my version which is also the steam version using both mods as well. I registered to this site just to tell you haha

My problem was that I had the "No Funkers" mod turned on. The mod makes it so that only people who go on the mission get promoted. After I turned this off it didn't crash for me anymore, I had the exact same crash message as you did as well.

I hope this that fixes your problem

• 9 months later...
Gotta say the previous post helped me. Had been tweaking with UFO quite a lot to get it working on my Windows 7 laptop, and everything was working perfectly except for crashing after some successful missions. Turning off No Funkers removed the problem :)