Troops cap varies?

Solarius Scorch

I'm not sure if my question relates to BMan's mod or the game itself, so I'll create a new general topic.

My question is: how many soldiers can you have in the game? I'm using Bman's mod and lost a soldier recently, so naturally I wanted to replace him with a new recruit. However, the game says I can't hire any more soldiers. How could I have had that soldier if I'm full?

Getting experimental, I abandoned 10 more people during a mission and voila - now I can hire new operatives. But this still doesn't explain how I could have had more soldiers than the game apparently allows.

I played around a bit, tried disabling the option for hiring personnel and then enabling it again, but I still can't hire anyone to fill that missing position. If anyone has any ideas what to do, please share your wisdom.

I was playing gold version with Bman mod that comes with it. Hardest difficulty. I could hire 20 soldiers.

Whenever I lost soldiers, I could always hire replacement soldiers. But no more than 20.

Just to make it clear : your soldier died. He was not unconcious?

Just to make it clear : your soldier died. He was not unconcious?

No no, he was dead, dead and dead. I just couldn't hire another one. And yes, obviously I played with the dying option on (BMod).

Actually another of my men died recently, and I could replace him... I only could hire one guy though, not two. Still unsure of what happened.

I haven't actually checked how many soldiers I have in total, which makes me look silly. I'll go and see as soon as I get home.

EDIT: It turned out I have 19 people and one tank. Would the tank count against the troop cap? I'd be surprised, but that's possible... And it would actually explain a lot.

As far as I remember, your soldiers can not die in the vanilla game.

They die, but since their mates can bring back to the base a piece of the brain's dead, the deads are remade as exact clones with a small loss of their XP. If the entire squad in mission can't go back to the base, then there are soldiers permanently dead.

They die, but since their mates can bring back to the base a piece of the brain's dead, the deads are remade as exact clones with a small loss of their XP. If the entire squad in mission can't go back to the base, then there are soldiers permanently dead.

Ok, though I'm not really down with that cloning with most of experience...