New X-COM, big changes?

FullAuto

Did I miss the bit where their source claimed it was 360 only, or did they just drop that one in themselves to stir things up more?

I have a couple of problems with this game - if it's 360 only and does well, we can probably say goodbye to the franchise as we know it forever. If it's crap and too dumbed down, it'll still be years before the license gets passed on again as publishers will treat the brand as toxic waste even if someone wants to make a return to the original style of play.

On the other hand, if the rumour of a tactical game is true, there is a small chance at redemption.

I think they just "dropped in" the "exclusive" stuff on the basis that they didn't have a clue what they were talking about (they're literally posting about the announcement of a rumour), though it's true that the PC version will likely suffer in order to make the game compatible with the console (or compatible with console gamers, at least).

I'll assume for now that any changes which have been made don't involve hyphen addition. ;) In any case, the lack of an official announcement after all this time is somewhat worrisome; the game may end up fulfilling one of the most well known criteria for being an entry in the X-COM series (that being, "never get released"....).

Not being released? Frankly I'd rather see a finished product; I really get the impression that it could be quite good. I suspect a lot of the stuff that seems to be missing in terms of "X-COM-ness" is really just being withheld so as not to show us all a lot of spoilers.

If there's any info I'd like to see released, it'd be confirmation of co-op play.

Well yeah, but if it does turn out to be console only then I'll never be able to play it, hence my earlier statement. Not getting a console just to play one game.

Then again the "console only" bit was only a rumour as well so we'll see what happens I guess.

Must admit, I've never heard of the console-only bit before and I know for a fact that I've seen E3 articles and such based on a PC version. Could be a recent change though *shrugs*

Doesn't matter for me either way, great though the game may end up being, it is not x-com and will never be more than an attempt to cash in on the nostalgia to me.

Wow, Pre-7am, half-asleep me is a really grumpy person - that was a bit selfish. There have been good FPS games released on the console and PC that were even better on PC (L4D2 anyone?) so I hope if there is still to be a PC version it's not a carbon copy of the console version as that would be a shame.

L4D2's controls for example are tailored to a console controller and keyboard and mouse setup depending which platform you're playing it on, and to me it does actually play differently so I imagine there were balance tweaks to consider that are specific to both versions of the game. A carbon copy from co sole to PC would perhaps be too easy as the mouse is quicker than the joypad ;)

Still, a useless announcement that deserved a "No comment" from 2K ?... ;)

My bet (read:hope) is it either means that

- there was no reply at all and the author decided not to wait because it could mean no news OR

- 2K thought the notion of X-COM not coming to PC is too stupid to comment on.

Still, a useless announcement that deserved a "No comment" from 2K ?... :laugh:

Assuming they really got a "No Comment" - could be that they just didn't get a reply, or else they got the stock response you usually get along the lines of "we cannot disclose any information about games in development" that I've seen people give over the years.

So their "no comment" could have been from the receptionist for all we know :oh: