So... what's this about Lobstermen being hard?

BreakMage

It seems that I skipped them altogether, and all of the sudden I have a Tasoth Terror mission. As if the MC wasn't enough, I get Bio Drones acting as miniature cyberdiscs! I mean come on, at least a Cyberdisc was FOUR squares large.

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

EDIT: Yeah, I meant Tasoth, not Triscene. Thanks Enn Kay Eff.

At least Cyberdiscs were slightly imperfect and missed from time to time. Biodrones don't (well, they almost never miss on superhuman - that's murder!).

At least the Biodrones foolishly leave trails in the ground by burning it. Fore warned is fore armed.

Triscene? You're up against Tasoth already? That's a big skip. If you want a meeting with our dim red shelled friends (they're pre-cooked, apparently :) ), take a trip into a colony and seek out the - Dum, dum, dummm! - Synonium Device!

Edit: I forgot to add that you'll definitely meet some lobstermen then.

- NKF

It's a volatile pedestal with two ring thingys spinning at the top. If you blow it up, the whole alien base comes crashing down as its foundations literally collapse upon themselves the moment the Good Guys™ leave! In other words, it's the Obvious Self Destruct Button™ (or device) that comes standard issue with every self respecting villain's lair. You must have these. It's the Code of evil villainous beings everywhere!

Er, no, not quite.

In the context of Artefact Sites, the synonium device is basically a signal repeater for their Molecular Control network (albeit only temporary - though why they went to such lengths as to build a veritable temple/high-tech facility for it...). If you don't destroy this on your earliest opportunity, you lose major browny points with the governments.

In the context of alien bases, it's their communications hub (i.e. telephone). They lose that, the forces get into disarray and things literally come crumbling down upon them.

But that doesn't quite answer the question.

Syn... Synonym - a word or a phrase that means another word or phrase? Synaptic?

Perhaps it would be best if we avoid overanalysing this. Let's just think of it as B-grade sci-fi psuedo science (or technical gobbledegook).

No, I'm not really making much of an effort at being serious here. :)

- NKF

P. S: For a direct comparison between UFO and TFTD. The UFO base command tables == TFTD's synonium device. They have the same function. Only TFTD's more compact and the game encourages you to evacuate the site after you destroy it.

Ok... this is funny.

I'd get owned on the mission, but I saved before landing, so I get to redo it from random every time I want to.

Well, currently, it seems that I'm down to one man... but it's funny. The guy has been taking down Tasoths left and right... he has enough MC strength that he can't get MC'd, but he can get berserk'd or Panic'd.

Yuri is running around picking up grenades. Lots of grenades. Sonic Pulsars, magna blast grenades, and Magna Blast Packs. All sorts of grenades! It takes 2 grenades of any kind to kill a Tasoth, so he runs around with two primed grenades in his hands.

I'm down to one Tasoth, and I can't find him. Any suggestions?

It turns out it was a Biodrone hiding in a closet.

No worries, got him, since they have a shocky-melee attack that doesn't seem to do anything noticable...

But I'm down to one guy with a single grenade, a full Harpoon rifle, and one with 9 bolts left, for the ENTIRE Cargo Hold... I think I should just dust off?

Good luck to NFK, that crazy lunatic. I don't really envy him. :)

If you can use pulsers, well, seeing as almost every alien has a few duct taped to their legs, you might want to give it a go. Otherwise, if you cannot handle it, there's no shame in making a tactical retreat when the odds are against you.

At least you get a smaller negative score by having done half of the mission than getting a big negative score by ignoring the mission altogether. Right?

Though nothing's going to stop you from taking out as many aliens as you can before you escape.

- NKF

I started the mission with 10 Magna Grenades, 5 Blast Packs, and 10 Pulsars.

I looted over 15 pulsars off of other corpses.

I'm down to one Magna. :)

I took your grenade advice to heart awhile ago... I've learned that they can indeed be amazingly powerful weapons.

That soldier that's leftover killed about 7 Tasoths and 2 bio drones with grenades alone. :)

• 1 month later...

Aziraphale/Break Mage, whatever it is now.... Nice to see you've picked up TFTD. I'm digging the new version of the sig.... just add on lobstermen to the ethereals.......... My personal tactic for the lobsters is (with xcomutil 9.X)

1. Gauss, lots and lots and lots of gauss..... with the unlimited ammo you just want to be careful.

2. MANY VERY Hungry angelfish, they eat anything..... including lobster

• 1 month later...
What on earth is a Triscene? Every single time I've played this I've never seen one of those, and yes, I have leveled an alien colony, and killed plenty of Tasoth... found them to be easier than Lobstermen, although the MC is pretty annoying... espcially when I've blown up the synonium device, can't find that last Tasoth, and the same aquanaut keeps panicing whenever he gets within two turns of reaching the exit.

The triscene is basically a dwarfed dinosaur (imagine the Reaper from UFO but with a more lizard-like apperanace). Er, Gon..? I forget the name. Anyway, it carries a tank sonic weapon of some sort - don't be fooled by the two submarine pulse wave torpedo launchers strapped to its sides.

You get them on Tasoth land terror missions. Boats, X-Com base attacks and isle/port missions are good places to look. You can also meet them in 'mixed' crew land missions. They're pretty hardy, but they are severely lacking in under-armour, makes them great targets for explosive-type weapons.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...