XCOM Debut Trailer Revealed!

Azrael Strife

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like hatfarm beat ya to it...

Egad, that agent looks deformed, especially around the jaw. I also just "love" the way that all the gameplay footage had a gun in the bottom right corner of the screen, and all the mention of planning/researching/yadda yadda was instead done via white text on a black background. Well, there'll be other trailers I guess...

Looks kinda like the blobs are trying to possess people. They remind me a bit of the Yeerks from the Animorphs series. But more explode-y.

Looks kinda like the blobs are trying to possess people. They remind me a bit of the Yeerks from the Animorphs series. But more explode-y.

They remind me of the Micronoids, although Apocalypse had it thought out better. Maybe I'm wrong though and it's actually more complex than that. Story is supposed to be their forte after all.

Hang on. The video said XBox. Console only?

PC will be spoiled by landing this title as well, never fear... :cool:

::

But, about the clip, and most importantly: how do you scrub one of those things from your carpet afterwards? Looks like a lot of work... :(

Not much to be said of the footage, really. Spooky FPS set in the 50s remains in the frame.

The IGN Preview makes it seem much better than the video does. The video seems like a fairly standard FPS, which would be disappointing, but that write up makes it seem like there is much more to it, which I am all for. I'd rather see a Rainbow 6 style team squad thing than just a single FPS (like the UFO games I guess), but if they deliver on the "getting attaced to your guys" thing, I'm down in FPS format.

I'm all for something FPS'y as long as it delivers what is mentioned in the preview.

Hope the game either expands beyond America by the end or that the sequel will be global though. I know 50's America is iconic, but why the hell does ET always land in the US? :cool:

I'm all for something FPS'y as long as it delivers what is mentioned in the preview.

Hope the game either expands beyond America by the end or that the sequel will be global though. I know 50's America is iconic, but why the hell does ET always land in the US? :cool:

Hollywood movie deals.

Also, big annual barbecue at Roswell.

X-Files with shotguns? Is there a single thing in that trailer that says X-COM? I'll read the preview before commenting further though.

That's pretty much how I felt after watching the video, but after reading the preview I do feel better. Not great, but better.

Hrmmm.

Video puts me off slightly, but that preview is making me think UFO Defense base management with FPS rather than TB battles.

If that was the case, I think we may be onto something. Hopefully if Marin pulls this off, we can get back to classic 1999 action at some point!

Can't say I read anything in the preview that I hadn't already read in previous articles... Other then the introduction of a lightning gun, though that's not exactly all I was hoping to see.

Still can't work out why the agents are walking around without full face masks and body armour. They did have armour in the 50's, right? Is it some attempt not to scare the civilians? If there were dead, burned bodies laying around the place, the lack of a heavily-armed strike force turning up would probably unsettle me more...

Other than "alien invasion", I fail to see how this has absolutely anything to do whatsoever with X-Com. And even that is only implied. For all we know, based on this clip, it could very well be supernatural. Hell, this makes Enforcer more deserving of the X-Com name.

I have nothing against 2k Marin wanting to make an original game with an original story. But putting the X-Com name on this just smacks in the face of coattail-riding.

And not in the subtle way, no. This is like the spirit of fame-riding manifested a physical form of a brightly glowing 9-foot-tall neon orange humanoid smacking you in the face while screaming "I am your mother, dammit!"

I don't hate this game. In fact, it looks interesting enough to try. But by calling itself XCom, it is desecrating the legacy.

X-Com is ultimately about a secret agency fighting an Alien Invasion.

XCOM is about (acording to the articles!) a secret agency fighting an Alien Invasion.

X-Com is not about Sectoids, Snakemen, Celatids, it's about a secret agency fighting an alien threat. Researching its ways, its motives, its weapons, and eventually turning them against them. All of that seems to be present in this reimagining. So, I see the X-Com part in XCOM :cool:

X-Com is ultimately about a secret agency fighting an Alien Invasion.

XCOM is about (acording to the articles!) a secret agency fighting an Alien Invasion.

By that logic, explain the hate for Apocalypse, Interceptor and Enforcer. They're also about THE secret agency fighting alien invasions. When you paint it in such broad strokes, anything fits. Including Jack O'Neill and Agent K. And those guys even have cool shades and nicer uniforms.

Besides, "alien invasion" is only mentioned in the interviews and implied by the name. From what I'm seeing, it's more supernatural than extraterrestrial. After all, the Ghostbusters have been pounding slime into submission for almost two decades, and they've got cooler equipment.

By that logic, explain the hate for Apocalypse, Interceptor and Enforcer. They're also about THE secret agency fighting alien invasions. When you paint it in such broad strokes, anything fits. Including Jack O'Neill and Agent K. And these guys don't even have the cool shades.

I wouldn't be surprised if StarGate wasn't influenced by X-Com :( The game did come out one year before the movie. The difference is that there is no Alien invasion, instead it's them exploring different planets with the Goa'uld eveeeeentually going after Earth (Not sure if that was what happened, I got bored with SG-1).

Also, I dunno where you get your info, but there's a lot of love for Apocalypse, in fact I prefer it over X-Com 1 and 2. And like it or not, you cannot not call that X-Com.

Second, X-Com Interceptor is also, IMHO, a decent game, even if it's a bit mediocre on the space-sim area (which is a pretty big area!). Nevertheless, X-Com Interceptor is not about a secret agency anymore, remember? X-Com is a very public organisation there, same as in Apoc, actually.

Besides, "alien invasion" is only mentioned in the interviews and implied by the name. From what I'm seeing, it's more supernatural than extraterrestrial. After all, the Ghostbusters have been pounding slime into submission for almost two decades, and they've got cooler equipment.

Where's the supernatural? if by "supernatural" you say "unknown", then hell yes! that's what X-Com is about, about an agency fighting an unknown menace. I wouldn't call those black blobs "supernatural" as in "magical", we just don't know what they are and probably will find out in the game; after all, I could call a Celatid or a Micronoid as supernatural. Or how about an Ethereal? you see a big, weird, thing floating around, with nothing visible bar a giant cloak, not even a face; does that look like an Alien at first sight? it looks like a ghost, so you could call that supernatural at first too, since you have no freaking idea what it is (it stops being so mysterious when you get to see the image from the autopsy).

We'll never agree on what's X-Com since, technically speaking, X-Com is only the first game, the rest are sequels and with differences, some stronger than others. To me, X-Com is a game about a secret agency facing an Alien threat, learning, adapting, and eventually turning tide.

You think that Alliance was not going to be X-Com as well? I was very much excited about that game and would love to see it released, weird I think no one complained about it not being X-Com at the time, everyone was pretty excited; nowadays everyone just complains before something is even released.

I think you're just too decided that everything this game is going to be is simply not X-Com and is going to be shit, and I am too decided to give it a chance until it's released and I get to play with it :cool:

edit: ah, about Enforcer, that certainly does not have any X-Com elements except for the Aliens themselves. Think, you don't study anything, you're not commanding troops into battle, you're just a big robot in an arcade, a very lousy arcade at that.

I think you're just too decided that everything this game is going to be is simply not X-Com and is going to be shit, and I am too decided to give it a chance until it's released and I get to play with it :cool:

I never said this game is "shit". As a matter of fact, I'm only against them using the name for what is very clearly not an X-Com game. And why isn't Apocalypse an X-Com game? For the same reason THIS is one? It has all the X-Com elements: Equipment, aliens, weapons, technology, and a natural progression through the canon timeline. Yet there are still Apocalypse-haters who continue to believe it isn't an X-Com game and yet call this one XCOM. I am not one of them.

As for Alliance, all the elements were there. Weapons, aliens, technology, setting.

And by the way, X-Com being a "secret" organization? Puh-leeez. After a couple of game months they were about as secret as the Statue of Liberty & the Eiffel Tower: Not everyone has seen them but everyone knows they're as real as you or me.

I never said this game is "shit". As a matter of fact, I'm only against them using the name for what is very clearly not an X-Com game. And why isn't Apocalypse an X-Com game? For the same reason THIS is one? It has all the X-Com elements: Equipment, aliens, weapons, technology, and a natural progression through the canon timeline.

And for all those reasons, Apoc IS an X-Com game :cool:

Yet there are still Apocalypse-haters who continue to believe it isn't an X-Com game and yet call this one XCOM. I am not one of them.

There are also people who believe in scientology :( point?

As for Alliance, all the elements were there. Weapons, aliens, technology, setting.

And by the way, X-Com being a "secret" organization? Puh-leeez. After a couple of game months they were about as secret as the Statue of Liberty & the Eiffel Tower: Not everyone has seen them but everyone knows they're as real as you or me.

I did not read that anywhere in the storyline, could you point me to where it says that?